XF 2.2 User given thread reply ban can still post in thread

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
As the title says, user given a thread reply ban can still post in the thread.

Is this a bug? If not what could be causing this? Thread reply bans used to work perfectly in the past.

If any of you have Admin Tools installed, it's the reason. It adds two permissions: Reply to own thread, and Reply to others threads, that are only checked if a member can not make a reply. I'll make some changes here.

They should have an entry in the xf_thread_reply_ban table but probably no need to dig around in the database for that because you'd just see them in the UI if you go to More options > Manage reply bans.

1604710832891.webp

So as long as that has worked, from our perspective, it should work.

Aside from that, verify whether disabling add-ons has any impact.

@Chris D

The thread reply ban shows up in Manage Reply Bans and also in the database:

phpmyadmin_thread_reply_bans.webp

manage_reply_bans.webp

I disabled all addons to re-apply the thread reply ban. That didn't help. When I re-enabled addons and went back to check, same problem.

There are no outdated templates.

I'm at a loss, especially because it definitely used to work in XF 2.1. I don't know at what point it stopped working or where the conflict might be or what to do next in terms of troubleshooting.

There is an option in that add-on:

[UserEss] Ban users from replying to own thread

It is not yet compatible with 2.2, but actually I have just noticed, the reply-bans don't work anymore in my forum, too. User noticed me after the update to 2.2.
This might be related?

But deactivating Xon's add-on didn't help with getting the reply-bans back to work. xf_thread_reply_ban is filled with the correct entries.

Anything @Xon would know of?

Don't thank me, because I never even thought of thread bans, so this is on me. I re-wrote the thread entity class extension to work when a member can reply. I'm just testing it to be sure it doesn't break another permission: Can use multi-quote when post replies is set to no.

The only other change that needed to be made here is to ensure a member that is banned from replying to a thread can not quote it when they have Can use multi-quote when post replies is set to no is set to Yes. That's done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom