XF 1.4 User friendly image Upload

gektor

Hi!

I've bought and installed XenForo last week. It's amazing!

My current challenge: Some Users want to use their iPhones to upload Photos (8 Megapixel) with ease, but the server space and the end user bandwidth is limited.

Now I'm desperately looking for an Extention which will optimize all the images, which user uploads according to a JPG Quality and Pixel Size setting, e.g. 1080p, 95%.

My Wordpress already does the automatic post processing it perfectly using Imsanity Plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/imsanity/

I've found this Thread, where a user describes a very nice strategy, but it doesn't contain a guide, only a showcase: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...server-side-image-resizing-for-xenforo.41566/

I've also found this Extention, but it ssems to handle already uploaded images only and it seems to need constant Admin action (or do I misunderstand the description?): https://xenforo.com/community/resources/image-resizer.2923/

I also use Easy Watermark Plugin in my Wordpress. Does XenForo has such Plugin? https://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-watermark/

I, of course, can't just use my nice Wordpress Plugins. What a pity.

I would be glad to receive some advise from you, guys.
Thank you!

There is already a setting for this.

Admin CP > Options > Attachment Options

The max dimensions setting means if an upload exceeds those dimensions, the image will be automatically resized to those dimensions (it maintains the aspect ratio).

It works perfectly on a desktop PC (Upload was 3mb, final file - only 300kb), but the file upload will freeze on an iPhone and will return an error (wrong file type (image%3A33867), although it's jpg) on an android device.

On an iPhone, if it's iOS 8 and Safari then this is a new bug that appeared in iOS 8 and is purely a browser issue. It is awaiting on Apple to fix it.

Can't comment on the Android issue, but sounds like an issue with the way it is handling the file names - basically also likely an Android issue.

I see.

On Android, I have different options in the standard browser (which is different on every android system):
Screenshot_2014-09-23-22-13-51.webp

The first option opens a camera app. If I make a picture then, I can upload it and it works.

The last option opens a file system where I can choose a picture. This fails.

Our iPhone is the newest one and it has the same problem as Android:
IMG_0475.webp

It seems, that these Browsers are not capable of proper upload.

Do you perhaps have any other Idea on how our mobile Users can upload their images?

Thank you!

I have never heard issues with Android before. Generally using mobile devices to upload should work fine.

As I said, the iOS 8 one is a bug in Safari that needs an Apple fix, before iOS 8 it worked fine. In the meantime, the workaround is to install the Chrome browser in iOS 8 which is not susceptible to the same bug.

Trying a different browser, e.g. Chrome on the Android device may help.

I'm using latest Cyanogenmod on Samsung Galaxy Note 1. Perheps it has the same kind of bug in a standard browser.

We will do more tests on different devices and browsers.

Chrome on Android can upload the pictures. Well, that's the problem of the so called "mobile Browsers" then, not XenForo!

Thank you for helping me understand XenForo. It's an extremely well made Software!

I have another question: Can I somehow restrict the file size differently for different file types? e.g. Users should be able to upload 300k zips but 8mb jpgs, which will be resized on server.

Ok, thank you @Mike! Now, I probably completely understand the wohle deal of uploading in XenForo. I've managed to configure my upload now and I'm happy.

I'm now using HTML5 Uploader extention and the user experience is great. With the standard uploader it's not quite as good, because what a user sees first is the limitation, e.g. 300kb. Now, a user thinks, he or she can not upload a full sized image. But it's possible and it's a truly great feature! I think this feature needs more attention in the backend and the frontend.

Again: Thank you guys and keep up the great work!

There is already a setting for this.

Admin CP > Options > Attachment Options

The max dimensions setting means if an upload exceeds those dimensions, the image will be automatically resized to those dimensions (it maintains the aspect ratio).

I'm happy to see that XF can resize images during an image upload.

Ok, thank you @Mike! Now, I probably completely understand the wohle deal of uploading in XenForo. I've managed to configure my upload now and I'm happy.

I'm now using HTML5 Uploader extention and the user experience is great. With the standard uploader it's not quite as good, because what a user sees first is the limitation, e.g. 300kb. Now, a user thinks, he or she can not upload a full sized image. But it's possible and it's a truly great feature! I think this feature needs more attention in the backend and the frontend.

Again: Thank you guys and keep up the great work!

What was needed to use this HTML5 uploader? Does it change the look of anything during the process? I'm wondering about the availability and appearance of the upload controls for a mobile user as was discussed in this topic: Has anyone implemented server side image resizing for Xenforo?

What was needed to use this HTML5 uploader? Does it change the look of anything during the process? I'm wondering about the availability and appearance of the upload controls for a mobile user as was discussed in this topic: Has anyone implemented server side image resizing for Xenforo?
I'm using the HTML5 Uploader Plugin and the mobile UX is good. Tested on Android and iOS.

The plugin shows a percentage of the upload of every file. The insertion of the uploaded pictures into text is unchanged.

So just as in this support forum, the mobile user clicks on "Upload a File" (or "More Options" then "Upload a File"). Then a browse computer/device wiundow appears to select the desired file. The only thing the plugin adds is an upload progress indicator?

Top Bottom