Lack of interest Upvote - Downvote Indicators

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Neutral Singh

An observation: When I go to upvote a post, the arrow ( ^ ) is correctly pointing upwards...
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 1.59.44 AM.png

But if I have a change of mind, I decide to undo the vote, even then the arrow is still pointing upwards, imho it should automatically indicate downwards to downvote from a logical point of view...
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 1.59.52 AM.png

Last edited:
Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It seems that the down-vote option isn't enabled on XF.com: (as noted by @Chris D)

That's a different functionality... if pressing the counter would have only bold unbold then it have been fine.. but it involves a counter... up means up... down means down...

It should not be down then you would think you are downvoting. You are not. You are removing an upvote.

15 will go to 14 (where it was) not 13.

"Vote" & "Unvote" would do the job.
An arrow up that decrease amount was implemented by aliens, who want to sabotage human kind civilization.

That's a different functionality... if pressing the counter would have only bold unbold then it have been fine.. but it involves a counter... up means up... down means down...
I agree totally that this seems counterintuitive for arrows to not mean what you would expect. Seems to be what people are saying here also:

that's all you can say, when nothing to say? )
No I was asking to know why.

I feel it is because XF converted the Likes. So... when you visit now you go to vote (and you have already) and it goes down as you are now removing it. The initial reaction is "WTF?" But I feel if they had not converted them we would not be seeing this reaction and petition to change. I did it once and figured it out. Your own users should not have the same issue because you are not converting scores and unvoting is a rare occurrence when intended. The system feels very natural to me and I have never used reddit or SE.

My take is the arrow should definitely not point down but there could be some sort of "I already voted" indicator besides the color change. Just to eliminate the erroneous unvote which then in turn can cause this confusion. If somebody really wants to unvote then they would see the indicator removed as well but the arrows would stay as is. Maybe it can just say Voted with the date next to it. Like a post timestamp. "Voted 1 hour ago" "Voted January 12 2019" Just ideas. :)

Top Bottom