Upgrade the ignore function to 'block' / Blocking Ignored Users

Razasharp

I think ignoring someone on a forum has never really worked from a users perspective. On vB you could still see the 'ignored' person had posted, and on XF when you ignore someone it doesn't prevent them from quoting you, seeing your threads, posting in them.

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really want to do is block them.

Any chance of this being included?

Upvote 49

aussiefooty

I post on a couple of forums including my own and i think that the whole ignore functionality has to be looked at.
Positive is that you can stop reading somebody's posts.
Negatives outway the positives.
  1. Bullies continue to bully you.
  2. Bullies continue to reply to your posts.
  3. Some forums the ignore feature doesn't work properly due to dodgy things happening to their xf1 software stuffing up.

gotski

I post on a couple of forums including my own and i think that the whole ignore functionality has to be looked at.
  3. Some forums the ignore feature doesn't work properly due to dodgy things happening to their xf1 software stuffing up.

Members on my forum also complain that bullies they ignore continue to leave scathing comments on their content. My members want to be spared any attention from those they ignore.

fingon

Yes, I‘m facing ’these things too.

Please improve the ignore feature

beerForo

Ignore could be salvaged as it stands as a Snooze function. Ignore is essentially Snooze, just add: "(Ignore/Snooze) for x days or forever."

Then introduce a new real blocking system. So Ignore doesn't have to be changed. Sometimes we may just want to ignore w/o blocking. We could use both! Thanks

aussiefooty

Ignore should be like what twitter and facebook have.
Where somebody blocks you and a little message comes up telling that person who might be wanting to do a search for you to rile you up.

At the moment we can only ignore the comments those people make.
However, they will still continue on their merry way abusing you at every minute they can get knowing that you can't see what they are posting. But they can see everything you are posting.

Say if you were following @Brogan and he was getting stuck into you over your political views. He's a mod so it's a little difficult to block him. But if he wasn't he'd still be able to get stuck into you without you seeing his posts.
But if you were on twitter and somebody blocked you from seeing their tweets it means that they don't want to see or read your comments or be followed around by somebody else.
So please give it some thought and make it better

Svoboda

Ignore should be like what twitter and facebook have.
Where somebody blocks you and a little message comes up telling that person who might be wanting to do a search for you to rile you up.

At the moment we can only ignore the comments those people make.
However, they will still continue on their merry way abusing you at every minute they can get knowing that you can't see what they are posting. But they can see everything you are posting.

Say if you were following @Brogan and he was getting stuck into you over your political views. He's a mod so it's a little difficult to block him. But if he wasn't he'd still be able to get stuck into you without you seeing his posts.
But if you were on twitter and somebody blocked you from seeing their tweets it means that they don't want to see or read your comments or be followed around by somebody else.
So please give it some thought and make it better
Concur.

Have this issue on my long time forum and all individuals are great when they're on topic. If we had a legit blocking solution, it would silo them.

lightspeed

We desperately need a proper block system. We have lost 2 long time members in the past couple of weeks to trolls. Ignore simply doesn't work anymore. Banning the troll just means they sign up with a different account. The user just gets frustrated with the lack of control and leaves the forum. Long term, good members just get frustrated, delete all their posts, and go post on social media where they have proper block features and more control over who can post on their content.

Last edited:

lightspeed

Wouldn’t this be an issue whether it is ignore or block?
Sure, they can sign up with another account to get around the block, but they are much less likely to do so if their current account is still working. The point of a block is that they will no longer see any threads or posts from the user who blocked them. They will hopefully forget that the other member exists. If they do sign up with a new account the user can simply block the new account with the click of a button. It empowers the user, the user wants to have control over their threads. Some members will just never get along. Blocking will allow these members to exist on the same forum.

Wildcat Media

A remotely helpful addition to this feature is a staff flag, to where the blocked members cannot unblock each other. In other words, if a member of staff put the ignore/block in place, the members would need to request the staff to undo it. It's helpful because one of our busiest forums has members that have clashed for well over a decade (we're approaching the 20 year mark early next year, so we've been around a while), and this would cure the problem with a handful of them. Because if we tell them to block each other, they will not follow our directive since they don't want to miss anything their antagonist says on the forum. Giving staff the ability to apply the block/ignore on their behalf, with the option to require staff lifting the block/ignore, would be perfect. We already detect if they try to sign up again, so that's a moot point.

lightspeed

A remotely helpful addition to this feature is a staff flag, to where the blocked members cannot unblock each other. In other words, if a member of staff put the ignore/block in place, the members would need to request the staff to undo it.
This would be a great addition, staff members can block problem members from interacting with each other.

I've actually purchased a block plugin before more members are driven away. Also I messed up my stats, 3 members have left in the past 2 weeks. I've already convinced 1 member to return with the new block plugin. This member has been with us for 13 years and he was driven away simply because he couldn't block another member. It tells me that block is a must have feature.

Last edited:

gotski

This one looks good but gets updated too rarely:cautious:

Wildcat Media

For reasons already stated, it's not a practical application for forums as threads would be rendered nonsensical if members were blocked from seeing content by other members without their knowledge.
Having seen our forum grow over the past 19 years to where we are averaging about 8,000 new posts per day, the few messages in a thread that would get blocked would not upset the threads at all. A primary reason we've seen members in what I would call "block-worthy" behavior are posting messages that are harassing the person (or persons) they are replying to, or providing misinformation to the forum at large. It gets rid of those instances where one member stalks another, just trying to get them worked up. As such, it's an issue between the two members so, in the event the harassed member blocks someone, only the troublemaker is the one who sees threads that possibly may not make sense. We've seen even good members snap occasionally after another member stalks them around the forum just trying to pick them apart. It's also a clue to the blocked member that if they are getting blocked by others, perhaps they need to adjust their attitude or leave the forum.

I couldn't see using this on my lower traffic forums. And actually, I've never had reason to use it on those anyways. But when traffic reaches very high levels, these types of issues come up regularly.