Upgrade the ignore function to 'block' / Blocking Ignored Users

Razasharp

I think ignoring someone on a forum has never really worked from a users perspective. On vB you could still see the 'ignored' person had posted, and on XF when you ignore someone it doesn't prevent them from quoting you, seeing your threads, posting in them.

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really want to do is block them.

Any chance of this being included?

Upvote 82
It is no surprise to me that this thread is getting no response from the developers. I would also be embarrassed if I had failed to address one of the most significant deficiencies in Xenforo since it was first released.

This has obviously gone in the too hard basket even though it is clearly one of the features that most desperately needs improvement. Oh well, maybe in Xenforo 10. Just kidding, we know it won't have been implemented by then.

It is no surprise to me that this thread is getting no response from the developers. I would also be embarrassed if I had failed to address one of the most significant deficiencies in Xenforo since it was first released.

This has obviously gone in the too hard basket even though it is clearly one of the features that most desperately needs improvement. Oh well, maybe in Xenforo 10. Just kidding, we know it won't have been implemented by then.
Creating a blocking feature would be fairly easy and dozens of add-on developers could create this feature (if they haven't already). I think the XF developers and most add-on developers feel that an user being able to control what another user sees is not a feature they want to develop or use.

too much work. Ignoring people means they can still read your posts

It's not about them not being able to read your posts, it's about not giving them your time going forward if it's clear that they're no longer posting in good faith versus merely trying to get a rise out of you. By ignoring them you're not giving them the oxygen to continue, they're just shouting into the void until they eventually realize, you've stopped giving them your attention.

I run a pretty modest forum (460 members or so), and people set each other to ignore all the time and then go about their day. It's not that uncommon.

I think a real issue with the ignore system are the messages letting you know the ignored user has posted. I think if you ignore a user you should never see their posts, threads, notifications, etc. Having that little box there makes the curious just want to click it to find out what they're saying, especially if they're replying to one of your threads. I think once you ignore someone, the only time that should ever be referenced again is if you're viewing your list of ignored users.

It's not about them not being able to read your posts, it's about not giving them your time going forward if it's clear that they're no longer posting in good faith versus merely trying to get a rise out of you. By ignoring them you're not giving them the oxygen to continue, they're just shouting into the void until they eventually realize, you've stopped giving them your attention.

I run a pretty modest forum (460 members or so), and people set each other to ignore all the time and then go about their day. It's not that uncommon.
It should be a block button where it completely stops the pests from contacting each other.
At the moment you can ignore them but it's not going to stop them from commenting on your posts.

It matters because people who are pests can still see the posts and will still comment on the posts. Worst still if you were only on here to be a pest you'd be reported for not leaving people alone.

If you have a barracking problem of several posters targetting one poster that's a broader Moderation issue. You could use the Force Ignore option in Andrew's Moderation add-on to address that. Another option would be to just have a group chat and get to the root of it, make it pretty clear that it won't be tolerated and if it persists accounts are going to get shut down, and anyone who gets uppity, just Zero them, then and there.

You can prevent users from seeing your profile and I think a block of PMs would be a good feature. Preventing users from reading your public content isn't good for forums and isn't practiced in similar spaces.

You could have a group of users block other users and ruin their experience. If introduced a feature on my add-on to give mods this power and that is where I think it makes sense.

You can prevent users from seeing your profile and I think a block of PMs would be a good feature. Preventing users from reading your public content isn't good for forums and isn't practiced in similar spaces.

You could have a group of users block other users and ruin their experience. If introduced a feature on my add-on to give mods this power and that is where I think it makes sense.
Reckon just a complete blocking service would be better than ignore.
I don't want people who i've added to my ignore list seeing what i've posted up and continue to bully me on the site thanks.

Reckon just a complete blocking service would be better than ignore.
I don't want people who i've added to my ignore list seeing what i've posted up and continue to bully me on the site thanks.

You wouldn't see their post if you were ignoring them and this is where moderators come in. Bullying is a crime in some countries and forums are required to be policed. If someone is bullying you then a moderator should be required to take action and not the user.

You can prevent users from seeing your profile and I think a block of PMs would be a good feature.

Yes, I'd say if members can still send DMs to members who are ignoring them, that's something that should be changed. I've never really messed with the ignore system so I don't know everything it does...but, yes, members should certainly be able to block who sees their profile and sends them a DM. Being able to block them from seeing your posts or threads though? No thanks...as you've said, if you can't see their replies then there's no harm done and if it's egregious enough, moderators should get involved.

I've coded a custom addon for my forum that turns the ignore list into a vanish list. If a user vanishes another user, it's a two way thing and neither user will exist to each other on the forum. I was inspired by @AndrewSimm's nice two way ignore moderator addon.

My ignore list on here is up over 20 users long.
As soon as someone replies to you that you're ignoring they can still see your posts and still make some nasty remark that needs to be frowned upon.
The amount of infractions i've copped on here simply telling people to stop being silly is because i've gone and read what these people who are meant to be leaving me alone have said.
That being said, i can only hope that a block function gets implemented so that those said pests cannot reply to my posts.

Creating a blocking feature would be fairly easy and dozens of add-on developers could create this feature (if they haven't already). I think the XF developers and most add-on developers feel that an user being able to control what another user sees is not a feature they want to develop or use.
This. I don't like block features for public content as it tends to create a filter bubble / echo chamber by blocking unwanted comments / thoughts which in the long run prevents social control.

This is bad for communities and society as a whole, the abyss effects of such overblocking can easily create a rather toxic environment - just take a look at what mess Twitter has become.

I wouldn't want this to happen for forums.
With great power comes great responsibility - I am sorry, but I guess I don't trust the average user to act responsible enough if given super-blocking power.

Blocking users from 1:1 conversations would be okay for me as that would only impact the two involved users and nobody else.

Last edited:
This. I don't like block features for public content as it tends to create a filter bubble / echo chamber by blocking unwanted comments / thoughts which in the long run prevents social control.

This is bad for communities and society as a whole, the abyss effects of such overblocking can easily create a rather toxic environment - just take a look at what mess Twitter has become.

I wouldn't want this to happen for forums.
With great power comes great responsibility - I am sorry, but I guess I don't trust the average user to act responsible enough if given super-blocking power.

Blocking users from 1:1 conversations would be okay for me as that would only impact the two involved users and nobody else.
You need it sometimes.
If somebody keeps spamming you on here by giving you links and other stuff all the time then you need them on a blocking list.

Otherwise you'd probably go absolutely crazy because people drive you nuts.

You need it sometimes.
If somebody keeps spamming you on here by giving you links and other stuff all the time then you need them on a blocking list.

Otherwise you'd probably go absolutely crazy because people drive you nuts.
In private conversations yes, but on the board you have mods. If in a conversation the user can report the message. I much rather known about someone spamming in DM so I can ban them versus having to have every user block them.

Top Bottom