Upgrade the ignore function to 'block' / Blocking Ignored Users

Razasharp

I think ignoring someone on a forum has never really worked from a users perspective. On vB you could still see the 'ignored' person had posted, and on XF when you ignore someone it doesn't prevent them from quoting you, seeing your threads, posting in them.

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really want to do is block them.

Any chance of this being included?

Upvote 82
I post on a couple of forums including my own and i think that the whole ignore functionality has to be looked at.
Positive is that you can stop reading somebody's posts.
Negatives outway the positives.
  1. Bullies continue to bully you.
  2. Bullies continue to reply to your posts.
  3. Some forums the ignore feature doesn't work properly due to dodgy things happening to their xf1 software stuffing up.

I post on a couple of forums including my own and i think that the whole ignore functionality has to be looked at.
  3. Some forums the ignore feature doesn't work properly due to dodgy things happening to their xf1 software stuffing up.

Members on my forum also complain that bullies they ignore continue to leave scathing comments on their content. My members want to be spared any attention from those they ignore.

Yes, I‘m facing ’these things too.

Please improve the ignore feature

Ignore could be salvaged as it stands as a Snooze function. Ignore is essentially Snooze, just add: "(Ignore/Snooze) for x days or forever."

Then introduce a new real blocking system. So Ignore doesn't have to be changed. Sometimes we may just want to ignore w/o blocking. We could use both! Thanks

Ignore should be like what twitter and facebook have.
Where somebody blocks you and a little message comes up telling that person who might be wanting to do a search for you to rile you up.

At the moment we can only ignore the comments those people make.
However, they will still continue on their merry way abusing you at every minute they can get knowing that you can't see what they are posting. But they can see everything you are posting.

Say if you were following @Brogan and he was getting stuck into you over your political views. He's a mod so it's a little difficult to block him. But if he wasn't he'd still be able to get stuck into you without you seeing his posts.
But if you were on twitter and somebody blocked you from seeing their tweets it means that they don't want to see or read your comments or be followed around by somebody else.
So please give it some thought and make it better

One of my pet peeves is adding some troll to ignore but they are still going after your posts. Ignore needs to go both ways and block certain people like twitter does.

Ignore should be like what twitter and facebook have.
Where somebody blocks you and a little message comes up telling that person who might be wanting to do a search for you to rile you up.

At the moment we can only ignore the comments those people make.
However, they will still continue on their merry way abusing you at every minute they can get knowing that you can't see what they are posting. But they can see everything you are posting.

Say if you were following @Brogan and he was getting stuck into you over your political views. He's a mod so it's a little difficult to block him. But if he wasn't he'd still be able to get stuck into you without you seeing his posts.
But if you were on twitter and somebody blocked you from seeing their tweets it means that they don't want to see or read your comments or be followed around by somebody else.
So please give it some thought and make it better
Concur.

Have this issue on my long time forum and all individuals are great when they're on topic. If we had a legit blocking solution, it would silo them.

We desperately need a proper block system. We have lost 2 long time members in the past couple of weeks to trolls. Ignore simply doesn't work anymore. Banning the troll just means they sign up with a different account. The user just gets frustrated with the lack of control and leaves the forum. Long term, good members just get frustrated, delete all their posts, and go post on social media where they have proper block features and more control over who can post on their content.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t this be an issue whether it is ignore or block?
Sure, they can sign up with another account to get around the block, but they are much less likely to do so if their current account is still working. The point of a block is that they will no longer see any threads or posts from the user who blocked them. They will hopefully forget that the other member exists. If they do sign up with a new account the user can simply block the new account with the click of a button. It empowers the user, the user wants to have control over their threads. Some members will just never get along. Blocking will allow these members to exist on the same forum.

A remotely helpful addition to this feature is a staff flag, to where the blocked members cannot unblock each other. In other words, if a member of staff put the ignore/block in place, the members would need to request the staff to undo it. It's helpful because one of our busiest forums has members that have clashed for well over a decade (we're approaching the 20 year mark early next year, so we've been around a while), and this would cure the problem with a handful of them. Because if we tell them to block each other, they will not follow our directive since they don't want to miss anything their antagonist says on the forum. Giving staff the ability to apply the block/ignore on their behalf, with the option to require staff lifting the block/ignore, would be perfect. We already detect if they try to sign up again, so that's a moot point.

A remotely helpful addition to this feature is a staff flag, to where the blocked members cannot unblock each other. In other words, if a member of staff put the ignore/block in place, the members would need to request the staff to undo it.
This would be a great addition, staff members can block problem members from interacting with each other.

I've actually purchased a block plugin before more members are driven away. Also I messed up my stats, 3 members have left in the past 2 weeks. I've already convinced 1 member to return with the new block plugin. This member has been with us for 13 years and he was driven away simply because he couldn't block another member. It tells me that block is a must have feature.

Last edited:
For reasons already stated, it's not a practical application for forums as threads would be rendered nonsensical if members were blocked from seeing content by other members without their knowledge.
Having seen our forum grow over the past 19 years to where we are averaging about 8,000 new posts per day, the few messages in a thread that would get blocked would not upset the threads at all. A primary reason we've seen members in what I would call "block-worthy" behavior are posting messages that are harassing the person (or persons) they are replying to, or providing misinformation to the forum at large. It gets rid of those instances where one member stalks another, just trying to get them worked up. As such, it's an issue between the two members so, in the event the harassed member blocks someone, only the troublemaker is the one who sees threads that possibly may not make sense. We've seen even good members snap occasionally after another member stalks them around the forum just trying to pick them apart. It's also a clue to the blocked member that if they are getting blocked by others, perhaps they need to adjust their attitude or leave the forum.

I couldn't see using this on my lower traffic forums. And actually, I've never had reason to use it on those anyways. But when traffic reaches very high levels, these types of issues come up regularly.

A Full On STALKER can never be stopped
Blocking someone from seeing what you post is valuable when some are just out to cause Hate and Discontent
on FB I have more people blocked than I have friends and I have well over 1,000 friends (I vet request and keep it to people I know from my world one way or another)
I'm Not "RIGHT" or "LEFT" and don't want to hear the names people these days call anyone who doesn't drink their KoolAid
a simple Block and they can feel happy that Everyone they interact with agrees with them AND they enjoy the forum more
what they don't know will never affect them and I can forget what ever their view they felt the need to spew, no need to remember them too
Hits and views like friends on FB are nice sounding numbers BUT Toxic posts and comments like Fake Account/Spam FB friends are Not beneficial
The BLOCK is 1 Great thing FB has figured out and something forums should incorporate
a post or topic that Most Love but 1 or 2 Hate because it's popular and they are Not isn't fun to post for long so they don't get posted and many views are lost as happened to one of the Most Popular Topics every year on a recently sold forum.
If you like the one way Slamming of posters and enjoy ****fights and name calling. Good for You, NOT my thing
when members are Blocked everyone else can still see ALL Content from everyone, only the Blocked one wont be reminded of the one they used to stalk when they don't see their posts and the Static shall diedown
PLEASE Consider adding Member Blocking of another Member to the choices of tools an Admin can use if desired. NO Reason to not have it as an OPTION for the Forum to implement or not
Choice is GOOD !!!!!!!!

Nope. Still no block. I'm on the fence as to whether I'd want it. My proposal would be to have two separate functions, Ignore and Block:

Ignore - as now
Block - as discussed, stops the blocked user from seeing you as well as you from seeing the blocked user

I would also, however, want the option for admins to turn off one or both.

For instance, I don't think my forum needs Block and I would rather not have it around (we're a small board to start with and wide use of Blocks could quickly shut the whole flow of conversation down) whereas I do find Ignore occasionally useful. Yes, I can still see that the Ignored person has posted but at least I have to consciously do something to see the post(s) rather than having them right in my face.

All that said, I'm not sure "Block" is necessarily "core code" stuff. Could be an add-on if someone is willing to write it.

No BLOCK just cuts out interaction between the 2 members
Both can still post away and Everyone can see All comments from everyone
BLOCK just makes the forum more civilized cutting out needless banter that distracts from the Flow of conversation
I personaly Quit posting threads that were well receiver and generated huge amounts of traffic because of a few assclowns making needless comments

Having seen our forum grow over the past 19 years to where we are averaging about 8,000 new posts per day, the few messages in a thread that would get blocked would not upset the threads at all. A primary reason we've seen members in what I would call "block-worthy" behavior are posting messages that are harassing the person (or persons) they are replying to, or providing misinformation to the forum at large. It gets rid of those instances where one member stalks another, just trying to get them worked up. As such, it's an issue between the two members so, in the event the harassed member blocks someone, only the troublemaker is the one who sees threads that possibly may not make sense. We've seen even good members snap occasionally after another member stalks them around the forum just trying to pick them apart. It's also a clue to the blocked member that if they are getting blocked by others, perhaps they need to adjust their attitude or leave the forum.

I couldn't see using this on my lower traffic forums. And actually, I've never had reason to use it on those anyways. But when traffic reaches very high levels, these types of issues come up regularly.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

I think ignoring someone on a forum has never really worked from a users perspective. On vB you could still see the 'ignored' person had posted, and on XF when you ignore someone it doesn't prevent them from quoting you, seeing your threads, posting in them.

Usually when someone 'ignores' someone, what they really want to do is block them.

Any chance of this being included?
Yea lets block them lol

Yea lets block them lol
there is a BLOCK add-on (link somewhere around here)
it has many settings from Permanent/can't be undone
to watered down to regular old ignore
TOTAL BLOCK should be a user option, to make forums more Civil = TROLL KILLER
Likes/Dislikes is a TROLL PlayGround
Blocking someone should remove their Dislike/Down votes
Things should be in-place to make things Better and More Positive

Top Bottom