For the love of god, someone make a force block / ignore add-on

PumpinIron

I'm seriously at wits end here.

I have two members on my forum who are both very highly respected members with very high post counts. Both of them are very well known in the community, but both of them bicker back and forth all the time, to the point where it's become extremely problematic.

Each of them has threatened to leave the forum if the other doesn't start playing nice.

I've mediated the hell out of it, but they simply won't play nice.

I've told them to use the "ignore" feature, and they did for a while, but then one of them eventually un-ignores the other, and the drama starts all over again.

For the life of me, all I want is some sort of add-on in which the administrator (me) can force two members to either ignore or block each other. Something that they have no control over and can't override. I force the ignore or block, and they have no way of seeing anything from each other ever again.

Even if you had such an addon, what stops me of logging out and see the other member's posts the usual way? And then log in back and continue in writing about the other one?

Unless you make nodes private, there is nothing you can do about it, even with the addon available to you.

Very true, but I guess if they are willing to go to that length, then there really isn't anything I can do at that point other than ban someone.

I wish these two a-holes didn't have such big cult like followings.

Do you do time-out type suspensions? Short suspensions that require no warnings. 24 hours to 72 hours for example. They get frustrated that they can't respond or check messages for the short period and often curtail the bad behavior when they return. It actually often works better than longer suspensions because you can use them more often, w/o warning, like sending a kid to time-out.

Picture trying to drive down the highway being stopped by a cop every mile. The short little suspensions are annoying.

Last edited:
Very true, but I guess if they are willing to go to that length, then there really isn't anything I can do at that point other than ban someone.
Well you said:
I've told them to use the "ignore" feature, and they did for a while, but then one of them eventually un-ignores the other, and the drama starts all over again.
so I would bet on it that they would go to that length. It is just 1 click to log out and log in back.

I understand, you don't want to lose those members as they are valuable to your community. But you must decide what is more important to you. Them being part of the community while damaging it and contributing to it, or you ban them and there are no damages anymore but also no contributions.

Whatever you do, don't take a side. Whatever you decide, apply it equally to both of them. That is fair and your community will understand. So if you let them be there, let both be there. If you want to warn or ban, warn or ban both of them.

Nothing to add. I just wanted to tell you that your Jeep forums look great! Congrats!

Thank you!

Do you do time-out type suspensions? Short suspensions that require no warnings. 24 hours to 72 hours for example. They get frustrated that they can't respond or check messages for the short period and often curtail the bad behavior when they return. It actually often works better than longer suspensions because you can use them more often, w/o warning, like sending a kid to time-out.

Picture trying to drive down the highway being stopped by a cop every mile. The short little suspensions are annoying.

I need to try something like this. These guys are just driving me up the wall. If they weren't who they were, I would just ban them both and tell them to piss off.

I noticed that each time I login to their accounts and "ignore" the other one, if I go back in 30 minutes later, they have "un-ignored" each other, even though they can't stand each other.

So it's like two little high school kids who hate each other and should be separated, yet they love the drama.

Well you said:

so I would bet on it that they would go to that length. It is just 1 click to log out and log in back.

I understand, you don't want to lose those members as they are valuable to your community. But you must decide what is more important to you. Them being part of the community while damaging it and contributing to it, or you ban them and there are no damages anymore but also no contributions.

Whatever you do, don't take a side. Whatever you decide, apply it equally to both of them. That is fair and your community will understand. So if you let them be there, let both be there. If you want to warn or ban, warn or ban both of them.

Admittedly one of them is more at fault than the other, so if I had to ban someone, I'm pretty sure I know who would get the boot.

I haven't let it spill over into the open forum though, I've been keeping it all private via conversations with both of them.

It just blows my mind that two men in their 60s can act like teenage girls bickering and fighting with each other about stupid, petty crap.

Apparently these two just have no idea of how to be passive.

I need to try something like this. These guys are just driving me up the wall. If they weren't who they were, I would just ban them both and tell them to piss off.

I noticed that each time I login to their accounts and "ignore" the other one, if I go back in 30 minutes later, they have "un-ignored" each other, even though they can't stand each other.

So it's like two little high school kids who hate each other and should be separated, yet they love the drama.

Make a general announcement that there's a new "cool off period" or "timeout" suspension, without warning, so nobody feels singled out. Tell them it's for when people are arguing and need to cool off because it is disrupting the forum. 24 hours works, so does 48, and 72 would be about the max for a cool off period. It does work.

Make a general announcement that there's a new "cool off period" or "timeout" suspension, without warning, so nobody feels singled out. Tell them it's for when people are arguing and need to cool off because it is disrupting the forum. 24 hours works, so does 48, and 72 would be about the max for a cool off period. It does work.

I've never tried this before, but I'm certainly going to now.

Do you find that the people who have been temporarily suspended actually return after their suspension is up?

I'd hate to suspend someone, then have them leave forever.

Looks like I found an even better solution!

Top Bottom