Upgrade problem: wants to start fresh install

dutchbb

Just uploaded the upgrade package to the server, opened it, and dragged the new files to the old ones. This is not how I usually do it, but I thought it would have been quicker than uploading the individual files. When I go to the forums it wants to start a fresh install. What did I do wrong?

@sayUncle may have a point...

If the upgrade package is used for a fresh installation, then you will get an error like:
upload_2015-7-29_11-19-45.webp

If you follow these instructions, you then get asked to create a new installation.

Given that there are files missing from the upgrade package, perhaps it would be better if the installer recognised this and came up with an error explaining the the upgrade package is for upgrades and the new installation package is for new installations?

Obviously if someone tried to upgrade with the new installation package AND put it in the wrong folder, then the installer can't possibly know.

How would XenForo be aware that you had uploaded any files to the server to another directory?

Xenforo should know whether it is upgrading or installing new. If it is upgrading and can't find config.php and folders data and installed_data, it should stop and prompt the user to upload the files to the correct folder rather than prompt (a) ask the user for mysql login details and (b) prompt the user to create the folders data and installed_data if they don't exists. Which is what the installer did. Hey I figured it was doing what it was supposed to. It was my first time upgrading. I looked up the mysql login although I was a bit surprised (annoyed)I would have to do that, and did create the data folders too. Then it says it is ready to install, that xenforo already exists and IT IS ABOUT TO DESTROY THE EXISTING DB. Now I am REALLY pissed hahahaha. Ok it was my own fault but I feel Xenforo could have stopped LONG before ONE STEP AWAY from deleting the existing DB. Why the f would the user want to DELETE an existing DB. That should not even be an option. If the DB exists cancel the new install and prompt the user to upload the upgrade files to the correct upgrade location. Maybe my error is rare I dont know. I dont think it is so far fetched someone might forget the sub folder and try to upgrade into the root domain as there are some files and folders there too. My forum redirects from the root domain into the subdomain folder. I don't remember all this. It was months ago. So anyway, that is the whole idea of "idiot proofing" to save the end user from themselves. I acknowledge it was my own error and that Xenforo did give me adequate instructions for where to upload the files. Right there IN BOLD letters ex www.yourforum.com/community. And I still managed to screw up.

Anyway, we'll take it into consideration. There are multiple types of mistakes that can be made and they manifest in distinct ways; different actions would cause problems in different scenarios.

I had the same problem. The root cause was opcode caching. After you update all your files and before you navigate to the /install page, you should restart PHP to clear the opcode cache.

Top Bottom