Update on XenForo development status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say, after having thought about it over the weekend, I'm okay with the level of communication at this point. As Shawn said above, even if the guys stopped developing period at this point and just took off, the software does everything I need it to do as is now. I don't anticipate IB ever getting their hands on it either...so I'm going back to doing my thing and not worrying about any of it. :)

You went missing for 2 years, you go to the Dark side of the Moon or something? :X3:
Nah... I just needed a break. And lacked the motivation to return for awhile (was also busy with other things). :)

It also became a pretty good test of how well I built the infrastructure to be able to withstand server failures and the like. One server had a complete hardware failure and was just offline for a year (motherboard just died one day), but end users didn't notice.

I gotta say, after having thought about it over the weekend, I'm okay with the level of communication at this point. As Shawn said above, even if the guys stopped developing period at this point and just took off, the software does everything I need it to do as is now. I don't anticipate IB ever getting their hands on it either...so I'm going back to doing my thing and not worrying about any of it. :)

Software needs to keep being updated in order to stay relevant. Also if XenForo would turn into vaporware the rate of adoption would pretty much halt altogether and developers would go elsewhere. You'd be living in a virtual ghost town.

Software needs to keep being updated in order to stay relevant. Also if XenForo would turn into vaporware the rate of adoption would pretty much halt altogether and developers would go elsewhere. You'd be living in a virtual ghost town.
If the developers were abducted by aliens, I don't think they need software revenue on their new planet. :) I just hope they aren't abducted before the RM is out. :)

This is what has made me so tired of these threads, because there really are no major issues with 1.1.2 that require an update at this point, and with the new products, it just doesn't seem logical to keep their old update pattern (Though they should say something that mentions that development will be slower due to the products, so things like this do not happen).

Its fine wanting more information, and more transparency, but pestering about it doesn't do anything more than annoy others and the developers. God knows if anyone did that on our sites, we'd end up getting fed up with it ourselves. In my case, I generally tell the person off, or ban them if they're that bad :sneaky:.

True, but I don't expect that scenario to play out. I think things will be fine around here even if they aren't being handled as some of us might handle them if it were our business ;)

True, but I don't expect that scenario to play out. I think things will be fine around here even if they aren't being handled as some of us might handle them if it were our business ;)

I don't either but I'm realistic enough to realize that it is a possibility.

I can only speak for myself of course but part of the reason I chose XF is because I liked that it was being ran by a small devoted team rather than a corporate entity with zero transparency (eg. vBulletin), so it hurts a little to see them taking a seemingly unexplained hiatus.

I think we have to separate the personal from the overall - and from the business!

From a personal perspective, I'd only want updates when security issues, bugs and/or major new features were available. In many ways, the less the better - I'd rather run a forum than spend time updating.

But there are lots of bridges being burned here - lost sales, lost respect (from developers, etc.) which in the normal course of things do not make sense. If, for instance, Kier was going to take a one year sabbatical, then just say it! If aliens abducted the team and left the "business guy", well....it's the business guy's job to tell us!

Someone is still taking the money....which means there is a promise and MANY implied promises which work both ways.

To summarize the situation...

AT BEST...a lot of business and reputation is being destroyed, nothing a sensible business or individual would do.

AT WORSE....one can only guess.

We're all guessing, but my take is that no matter what it is...it's not as bad as they are making it by not being a bit more straight up. If 1.2 is delayed until the end of the year....that's fine with me. Heck, my old forum was promising upgrades for 4 years and still never did them (EE). And, they are still making money hand over fist, so I guess communities and developers can be very forgiving.

Part of the reason I haven't bought my license yet is simply how this community seems to be in chaos and shambles.
People not knowing what is going on with updates and concern for the lawsuit and the rudeness is dividing a community.

I really hope that when all is said and done, that we'll all laugh about how crazy some of us were acting doing this whole situation
and worrying about nothing.

But things have slowed down so much and people are saying "be patient! give them time! stop acting entitled" is all fine and dandy
and sort of true but there are many of us out here who want this software but we want to make sure that this is worthy of 140 dollar
investment. Whether you think so or not, each and every person moaning and whining has legit reason to do so. Idk about you, but
140 dollars is not something i want to throw into something unknown and it seems, by assuming, that other people involved with
development are unsure as well.

I'm going to sit back here and wait for RM to be released. My hunch is that it will be released very soon. Tomorrow is another Tues if you know what I'm saying ;)

I just hope they aren't abducted before the RM is out.
I guess the Resource Manager will only work with latest 1.2.0 version, based on the logic used on Enhanced Search. I'm waiting to see what software version is used on Spacebattles... hopefully the new release, not released for users.

Not sure how many days passed since Kier started the upgrade but the forums are still closed.

I guess the Resource Manager will only work with latest 1.2.0 version, based on the logic used on Enhanced Search. I'm waiting to see what software version is used on Spacebattles... hopefully the new release, not released for users.

Not sure how many days passed since Kier started the upgrade but the forums are still closed.

The Resource Manager works on 1.1.2.........

How do you know that? Because they are not using 1.1.2 on this site.
It works on 1.1.2. But that's not important.

The team members blatantly ignoring this thread, while we know they're reading it.
Is only a bigger sign to me to change my patience into:

If you are gonna ignore your customers, you are going to have a bad time.

It's threads like this that remind me why I was right to stop relying on software where so many of the customers are juveniles. I guess it's a blessing and a course - software like XF can't afford to turn away customers, but on the flip-side, it's time consuming 'moderating' and sifting through quite a lot of ill-thought feedback and suggestions (and attitudes) from people who (and with all due respect) just don't know the first thing about design or software development.

Then you get what's happened here - people who conduct themselves professionally, clashing with those that don't. It's off-putting, time-consuming and irritating (and no wonder why Mike & Kier are not active on the forums). When someone posts a serious thread they should be granted the courtesy one might expect, treating such matters facetiously is down right rude.

I think the only thing the mods can do is put up some simple rules about basic conduct and act on them - after a while people usually get the message.

Anyway with regards to this thread, yes I too would like to see some info. I have two sites where I could use a XF license, and not knowing what's going on puts me off wanting to make the commitment.

It's threads like this that remind me why I was right to stop relying on software where so many of the customers are juveniles. I guess it's a blessing and a course - software like XF can't afford to turn away customers, but on the flip-side, it's time consuming 'moderating' and sifting through quite a lot of ill-thought feedback and suggestions (and attitudes) from people who (and with all due respect) just don't know the first thing about design or software development.

Then you get what's happened here - people who conduct themselves professionally, clashing with those that don't. It's off-putting, time-consuming and irritating (and no wonder why Mike & Kier are not active on the forums). When someone posts a serious thread they should be granted the courtesy one might expect, treating such matters facetiously is down right rude.

I think the only thing the mods can do is put up some simple rules about basic conduct and act on them - after a while people usually get the message.

Anyway with regards to this thread, yes I too would like to see some info. I have two sites where I could use a XF license, and not knowing what's going on puts me off wanting to make the commitment.

Not when you have a divided community on your hands. Where legitimate questions are bashed.

You might want to revise your message a bit, it's a bit confusing to read as at first it seems like you are frowning upon the OP whereas at the end you seem to be agreeing with him. I assume you meant that the overall attitude on the forums is very juvenile and that those of us who are using XF for more professional means pay the price by not getting any developer feedback.

Then what version are they using on this site.... hm?
Check it for yourself, is easy. One thing is certain the versionId and $config->jsVersion are changed and more recent on XenForo site. I even created a function to determine the exact version they are at but could not find it because they probably implemented a non empty jsVersion variable.

And to be back on topic, how do you guys know that RM can run on 1.1.2? Was this posted anywhere? I also started this thread thinking that the RM will be linked to the new 1.2.0 release. One of my clients needs it for their site in a customized form. At least that is what I would personally do from a business point of view if I was Kier or Mike, "making" all my clients to update their licenses at the same time they purchase the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom