Update on XenForo development status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of which side of the fence you are on, the minute you have a request for some kind of feedback from the developers that has been viewed almost 3,000 times in 38 hours (that's 1.3 views per minute or 79 views an hour) then I think that some kind of response is due. Especially since the developers have been online and have seen the thread.
Like I said before, not providing answers/feedback, is an answer in itself but not a very polite one. Mike, Kier and Ashley started out super active in their own community but now seem to have taken a back seat approach to things. If that chatty kid that sits next to you at school, or that person in the cubicle adjacent to yours at work all of a sudden stops talking to you, would you not be a little concerned or at least curious as to why? Not having anything to report is fine, but then why keep silent.
As with any courtship, playing hard to get is fun for a while but in the end one loses interest.
This forum used to be all about this great software and what it can do but these days it seems to be full of posts about anything and nothing.
Almost seems to me that XenForo thinks that if they do the following, that everything will be OK:
monkeys.webp

This is a serious question. Why do we feel like we deserve an update on development, regardless of the business implications?

Here's my logic. XenForo 1.x is out. That's what we paid for. It's relatively bug-free and works. If and when they release improvements it's nothing more than an added bonus for us. When other companies like Microsoft or Adobe put out products, do you go to their pages and keep asking over and over whether or not their next iteration is due out? Do you write angry letters to Jiffy peanut butter asking them when the next new or improved formula is coming out? If you do neither of these things why not? It's the same bloody thing that you are doing here.

Bugfixes I could understand, but the current atmosphere of "OMG UPDATE!" is counterproductive and ludicrous. You paid for Xenforo, you got Xenforo.

It's not the lack of any new features or an announcement that concerns me - it's the marked difference in things since a couple of months ago. The main two developers used to post regularly and participate, then this very suddenly stopped. As far as I'm aware, no bugs have been fixed for weeks (or indeed officially commented on). That's a big change from the XF up to that point.

All of these things combined (lack of updates, little dev activity, lawsuit) makes customers nervous - especially when planning for the future. I've held back purchasing licenses because of the uncertainty, even though I really want to use XF over other options. But I can't risk migrating/starting forums if there is a such a level of uncertainty.

I've held of commenting for a long time, as I didn't want to add fuel to the fire... plus I desperately want XF to succeed. But there have been so many people commenting on a need for clarity, and I agree. It's clear that something has changed in the past few months.

I'd bet there are lots of other people reading this that would like some reassurance, but have avoided posting thus far. It's evident that the situation has changed somehow, so when we're making business decisions on which software to buy, an explanation would help. I know the devs are aware of the number of threads on this subject, so it's the silence that's confusing.

Bugfixes I could understand, but the current atmosphere of "OMG UPDATE!" is counterproductive and ludicrous.
Let me explain it from my perspective. There are no updates or news related to product X. The developers who were active previously posted vaguely about some financial problems with no clarity how this could affect product X. When asked what is the status of bugs fixing or development, there are no replies. The bug fixes and news related to product had become nonexistent. As client, you paid money for a product that might go rogue. Do you want to get some updates?
You paid for Xenforo, you got Xenforo.
For how long? For all I know this could be a scheme to generate cash with no updates and bug fixes. How do you know that for sure, unless there is an announcement? You can argue with me for hours, I will not change my mind. Is like one of my clients who already paid for services, contacts me and asks some additional information. I choose to ignore his question because I already got the money? I don't think so.
It's not the lack of any new features or an announcement that concerns me - it's the marked difference in things since a couple of months ago. The main two developers used to post regularly and participate, then this very suddenly stopped. As far as I'm aware, no bugs have been fixed for weeks (or indeed officially commented on). That's a big change from the XF up to that point.
Well, the devs usually posted bug fixes and updates, so is related in a way. Still a very good post, thanks.
wow, this thread is a complete train wreak..lol
Another useless post that helps in no way the current delicate situation. I wonder when people will mature and post on the subject, clean logical thoughts that help the situation... not make it worst.

All of these things combined (lack of updates, little dev activity, lawsuit) makes customers nervous - especially when planning for the future. I've held back purchasing licenses because of the uncertainty, even though I really want to use XF over other options. But I can't risk migrating/starting forums if there is a such a level of uncertainty.

I've held of commenting for a long time, as I didn't want to add fuel to the fire... plus I desperately want XF to succeed. But there have been so many people commenting on a need for clarity, and I agree. It's clear that something has changed in the past few months.

I'd bet there are lots of other people reading this that would like some reassurance, but have avoided posting thus far. It's evident that the situation has changed somehow, so when we're making business decisions on which software to buy, an explanation would help. I know the devs are aware of the number of threads on this subject, so it's the silence that's confusing.

Changes since a few months ago: They now have 3 products in development that they have to support (Or will have to support when the RM is released), and Kier had to take a leave to deal with personal issues.

I can understand wanting information, but when Mike and Kier and Brogan have stated development is on-going, and that there really is nothing to support at this point in time, that pretty much negates the point of these threads. Answers have been given, there was a recent update that told people what was being worked on (1.2, ES and RM) and if it were pretty much any other software, it would have been acceptable. People are panicking because the fast pace that XenForo was developed at has slowed, which is obvious when they've added new products.

Is the hypothetical customer communicating directly with you or are they posting random messages in a message board? If their questions are so weighty you'd think they'd take a more direct route than the one which you are taking.

As to the core software, they've supplied bug fixes. Are there certain bugs which have been identified which need immediate viewing/fixing? Have you communicated this by either opening a ticket or sending an email/PM to the devs? Or is this just asking for more general information although you are currently having no issues?

The problem I have with the whole thing is the level of entitlement which I feel I am seeing. Yes, you have a certain level of entitlement having purchased the software, but some people are taking this entitlement above and beyond logical parameters. But as you've stated, neither logic nor any other viable argument can ever change your mind so this is the last message I'll be sending.

Sorry if this ends up being a double post, but this singular point (bolded for emphasis by me) is really the most logical and pertinent argument I've read about the thread at hand and wanting an update. Most other arguments are spurious at best and many are disingenuous to the point of facepalming.

Is the hypothetical customer communicating directly with you or are they posting random messages in a message board? If their questions are so weighty you'd think they'd take a more direct route than the one which you are taking.
In real life, we had all situations. Some clients post to our forums others email us and others call directly. I noticed that the larger is the company, the faster they want a reply. So far, Electronic Arts are the most pleasant working experience for Axivo.
Have you communicated this by either opening a ticket or sending an email/PM to the devs? Or is this just asking for more general information although you are currently having no issues?
I cannot explain in public how my business is affected by this XenForo development silence, but it is related to my business. I contacted XenForo related to development updates and got no reply. Frankly I was expecting that, since there are no public updates. So I decided to post this hoping that a large number of users share my thoughts and they will post about it... which will force the devs to post an announcement. So far, it does not look good at all in my eyes.
Sorry if this ends up being a double post, but this singular point (bolded for emphasis by me) is really the most logical and pertinent argument I've read about the thread at hand and wanting an update. Most other arguments are spurious at best and many are disingenuous to the point of facepalming.
Indeed, he condensed in one phrase my entire opening post while remaining concise and logic. I wish everyone would post like that. At least, I'm the first one who liked his post. :)

I think Floren and others like him have some legitimate concerns. I don't think it's fair for so many people in this thread to "speak on XenForo's behalf" and tell him he's wrong in wanting more information. We really need a forum that only allows staff to reply to threads around here...:rolleyes:

Another useless post that helps in no way the current delicate situation. I wonder when people will mature and post on the subject, clean logical thoughts that help the situation... not make it worst.
This is an open forum, we are allowed to post what we want (for the most part)
You didn't have to read my post, so your reply is contradicting your own statement...lmao

ps... I didn't get an alert for that quote.. I've noticed that before on this site too. </OT>

Well said

This is a serious question. Why do we feel like we deserve an update on development, regardless of the business implications?

Here's my logic. XenForo 1.x is out. That's what we paid for. It's relatively bug-free and works. If and when they release improvements it's nothing more than an added bonus for us. When other companies like Microsoft or Adobe put out products, do you go to their pages and keep asking over and over whether or not their next iteration is due out? Do you write angry letters to Jiffy peanut butter asking them when the next new or improved formula is coming out? If you do neither of these things why not? It's the same bloody thing that you are doing here.

Bugfixes I could understand, but the current atmosphere of "OMG UPDATE!" is counterproductive and ludicrous. You paid for Xenforo, you got Xenforo.

Because when we bought Xenforo they said certain things that made me buy it. Based on that you bought it and work with it lets say Xenforo has 10 features and another bulletin board has 15 features and continue to update on a good passe, then there is a time you will switch because you need the features. We paid money to update and expand the software that's why i am not renewing my license. Even Microsoft and Adobe work on next versions as fast as they can and they put in lots of new stuff also if you write on their forums or give ideas sometimes they are included. Also new versions are announced months before they are released and you can test drive them before it even hits the stores.

I don't think many can relate to people that are depended on new features or active development and so on, some have made their work from selling forum related stuff. No indication on working on a new version puts people on hold and these times even more so money is tight at the moment because its crisis in most parts of the world. If they think product A is getting better they focus on that more then ever and start following it more closely while as business you do not notice this at first you notice this after longer periods of time. Running a business is not working from 9 till 5 but you make 50 to 60 hours a week even more when needed. Even when you are sick you still need to take action else your business will be taken else where if it takes to long.

The problem I have with the whole thing is the level of entitlement which I feel I am seeing.

How do you work that one out? I wouldn't call people asking for an update, to be folk with a level of self entitlement. That's talking silly! I think some or losing grasp on what's being asked for here, we're not asking the devs to part with gold bars, just posts an update filling people in with what's going on... sigh!

The problem I have with the whole thing is the level of entitlement which I feel I am seeing. Yes, you have a certain level of entitlement having purchased the software, but some people are taking this entitlement above and beyond logical parameters. But as you've stated, neither logic nor any other viable argument can ever change your mind so this is the last message I'll be sending.

I don't think OP feels entitled, he merely seems desperate for some kind of sign from the development team that his time is not going to waste (which I think is true for a lot of developers).

I'm not that active here myself, I don't even have an active license anymore, it expired some time ago, at that point I thought I'd renew the moment the next update came along, but so far it hasn't..

It's not the actual software updates itself though what worries me, but it's like Kier & Mike made a u-turn in regards to being an active part of xF community.

In my head I've come to some silly conclusion that maybe their lawyers have advised them to keep quiet on the forums. I don't know if that's even likely, I haven't followed the legal case that closely and I'm not a legal expert anyway.

I'm quite sure that there will be an explanation sooner or later.

I hope for the best. It makes my head spin though when thinking about this whole thing: Kier and Mike must be very well aware of the fact that their users would like to know the reason for their quietness, and what's really up with xF right now. Is it still in active development and is 1.2 due soon?

If I was Kier or Mike and members were posting this many posts about the silence, I would probably go crazy. I would have the urge to inform everyone and say everything's okay and what's currently going on. I guess K&M must have some noticeable reasons not to do that.

<3 xf

I don't think OP feels entitled, he merely seems desperate for some kind of sign from the development team that his time is not going to waste (which I think is true for a lot of developers).
Maybe "desperate" is a strong word, but yes, you are absolutely correct.
I know there is ongoing development in the background. For instance, a while ago I saw the files versioning changing from 9c4e0d64 to ab450bd6 and the style date is now listing as Fri, 16 Mar 2012. I just don't understand why they push the "I don't know" slogan.

While I'd like to know what's going on development-wise mostly for sake of knowing and planning, I'm also realistic in my understanding that no one is obligated to tell me anything.

Thankfully even in a worst case scenario and K/M/A were all abducted by aliens and no future update ever comes out, it's a well thought out piece of software and I could build anything that I need it to do without too much effort.

That being said, I also can't blame the developers for going awol for awhile (I disappeared from my own site for about 2 years because I was just burnt out... and what started as a month vacation ended up being, "Okay, it's two years... I guess I should see if digitalpoint.com is still up/working..." hehe).

Personally, I mostly just want to get my hands on the Resource Manager. :)

That being said, I also can't blame the developers for going awol for awhile (I disappeared from my own site for about 2 years because I was just burnt out... and what started as a month vacation ended up being, "Okay, it's two years... I guess I should see if digitalpoint.com is still up/working..." hehe).
Let's hope it doesn't come to that :P

While I'd like to know what's going on development-wise mostly for sake of knowing and planning, I'm also realistic in my understanding that no one is obligated to tell me anything.

Thankfully even in a worst case scenario and K/M/A were all abducted by aliens and no future update ever comes out, it's a well thought out piece of software and I could build anything that I need it to do without too much effort.

Personally, I mostly just want to get my hands on the Resource Manager. :)

You went missing for 2 years, you go to the Dark side of the Moon or something? :X3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom