Unread Post Count

Unread Post Count 1.2.0

No permission to download

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

Unread Post Count - Displays a count of the current number of unread posts over the "What's New?" link

Thank you so much for donating. It is always appreciated!

First of all, a thank you...
Dakis has kindly funded the development of this add-on (and many others) and has kindly allowed me to release this add-on for free to the community.​
Dakis has recently moved his site TravelStories.gr over to XenForo and I'm sure you will agree it looks fantastic.​
What this add-on does...
v4GRhyD.png
The add-on displays a counter above the "What's New?" link on the navigation bar.​
This counter displays the current number of unread posts (individual posts, not threads) that are visible to the user (it counts the number of unread posts in the forums that are visible to the current user on the forum list).​
The counter is only shown to logged in visitors.​
HOW TO INSTALL

The easiest way to install this add-on is if you use the Add-On Installer.

Alternatively:
Download the zip file.
Extract its contents to your hard drive.
Upload the contents of the upload folder to the root of your XenForo installation.
Complete install via the Admin CP using the provided XML file.

Read more about this resource...

It works for me.

Would you like to be more specific as to what's happening? Error message? Anything?

Cool little addon, thanks Chris. One small issue on my style, I need to move it up:

Screen shot 2013-05-24 at 10.19.15 AM.webp

Tried setting a negative top value in unread_posts_count.css under itemCount_alert but nothing happened? Any pointers to curing this hiccup?

Cheers

OK, really weird; The image above is Chrome (Mac)
This is FireFox 21 Mac:

Screen shot 2013-05-24 at 10.37.56 AM.webp

This is Safari Mac:

Screen shot 2013-05-24 at 10.38.05 AM.webp

Weird or what!?!?!

Working fine for me on OSX - Chrome / FF / Safari - All latest versions. Tested on Chrome+FF on Windows as well. Not sure about uBuntu and other platforms.

I think I found a bug, but not sure why this happens only in one specific thread -

View attachment 46721

Check the overlapping buttons next tot he Search Box. Surprisingly, this doesn't happen on other threads I checked.

Chris, could you please check this thread on our site: http://www.crazyengineers.com/threads/whats-new-count.68147/ ? (Please login to see the overlapping buttons)

Update:

If the thread title has [count] - the search box breaks. I'm not sure if this is even related to this addon.

Hehe... I see the issue...

When you're on the forum home page, hover over your "Home" tab.

So, the way this works is it looks for the phrase What's New? (the phrase, not the English words) and adds on to the end of that the unread posts counter. 1.0.8 introduced a hard limit on the number of replacements it was allowed to make. I set this to 1 because usually you only have 1 per page.

As it happens, you have 2 and so it's adding the unread count to the very first What's New it finds which happens to be on your home tab.

I will see if this can be improved.

Top Bottom