Unread Post Count

Unread Post Count 1.2.0

No permission to download
Could you perform the downgrade again please to the version that isn't as slow. I haven't found anything conclusive yet but the comparison would be good to see.

I have seen the issues for myself and I can replicate it on a server I have access to so it's a good starting point, thanks.

I have no ETA for when this will be fixed. Advice is to keep the add-on disabled for now if performance is affected.

I have seen the issues for myself and I can replicate it on a server I have access to so it's a good starting point, thanks.

I have no ETA for when this will be fixed. Advice is to keep the add-on disabled for now if performance is affected.

Instead of the post count, if the system could return the updated thread count, that should be okay too. That's what our members actually thought the count represented. Not sure if that'd solve the performance issue though.

There's an add-on that displays the thread count already. That's not what this add-on was designed for. It isn't going to be changed to a thread count.

Hello Chris, I've installed your addon but I've noticed a performance problem of my forum using it. Problem is that with you addon installed when you click on any forum link (thread, message, menu link, etc.) there's a lag between the click and the result of your action; could be 1 second or something like that. Such a lag never appeared before so I've tried to disable your addon and the lag disappeared. As soon as you click on a link or thread or menu, the action is taken immediately.

If you want to check my admin there's no problem at all...

Thanks!

Hi Andrea, just out of curiosity, what kind of hosting have you got, and how big is your forum ?

It's fine.

I have identified a performance issue but I cannot confirm yet as to what all the factors are. I will be looking at ways of improving the query (such as adding an index on the post_date column) and also look at caching the count so it is only rebuilt every so often with the actual query with the rest of the time that value will be decrementing based on how many posts are unread in the thread you've just visited.

So actually the result could be more queries in number, but less in performance cost.

No ETA but I have a vendetta against it now.

Chris Deeming updated Unread Post Count with a new update entry:

Dramatically improved performance (please read full details)

This version of the Unread Post Count add-on dramatically improves performance so that the query used to fetch the post count takes a fraction of the time it could do previously on boards with large numbers of posts.

Something very important happens during the install or upgrade of the add-on.

An index is added to the xf_post table. This index applies to the post_date column.

Adding an index can sometimes be a lengthy operation (directly dependent on the number of posts in the xf_post...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Please read all of this before upgrading:

This version of the Unread Post Count add-on dramatically improves performance so that the query used to fetch the post count takes a fraction of the time it could do previously on boards with large numbers of posts.

An index is added to the xf_post table. This index applies to the post_date column.

Adding an index can sometimes be a lengthy operation (directly dependent on the number of posts in the xf_post table). On my forum with 3,000,000 posts the operation took 50 seconds.

Often this amount of time is beyond the PHP max execution time.

If you receive an error during install or upgrade stating that the max execution time has been exceeded, then please run the following query directly on your XenForo MySQL database using PHP My Admin (or preferably directly on the command line):

Code:
ALTER TABLE `xf_post`
ADD INDEX `unread_post_count_post_date` (`post_date` ASC)

After that query has run, the add-on will install/upgrade without issue.

In the event that you're unable to perform this query and as a result performance problems persist then you should uninstall the add-on as no further support can be provided.

Please read all of this before upgrading:

Adding an index can sometimes be a lengthy operation (directly dependent on the number of posts in the xf_post table). On my forum with 3,000,000 posts the operation took 50 seconds.

Often this amount of time is beyond the PHP max execution time.

If you receive an error during install or upgrade stating that the max execution time has been exceeded, then please run the following query directly on your XenForo MySQL database using PHP My Admin (or preferably directly on the command line):

Code:
ALTER TABLE `xf_post`
ADD INDEX `unread_post_count_post_date` (`post_date` ASC)

After that query has run, the add-on will install/upgrade without issue.

In the event that you're unable to perform this query and as a result performance problems persist then you should uninstall the add-on as no further support can be provided.

Chris, just to be clear, if I upgraded this addon without issues to the latest release, then the step above is not necessary for me, is that correct?

Top Bottom