XF 2.1 Unfurling URLs, Emoji enhancements and video uploads

Here we go! We're four HYS threads in already and you might be wondering just how many there are left. Well, I can't tell you 😉 But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend caressing that "Watch forum" link and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is a big enough change that it deserves a suggestion thread vs something you can slap together in 45 seconds, let me know and I'll post it :)
There's no black/whitelist functionality. It should be extendable. But I'd probably put a suggestion in because we've got so much going on, I've honestly already forgotten.

Have we met before, btw? ;)

Ideally, there would be a simple function that receives a guaranteed safe URL (e.g. all the processing to strip surrounding characters and whatnot already done) and returning either true or false for whether it should be unfurled. That way, it would be very easy for us to parse the domain from the URL and compare it to a whitelist / blacklist :)
Actually...

We do have this already. There's a method you can extend which decides whether the URL can be "fetched" or not. That would be a good target for what you're thinking, I think.

Not at this time, no, though we could consider it if there's enough call for it.
I'm guessing that currently you have just grouped videos in with the Attachments section in the ACP? Assuming so, I'm also guessing that there is a different setting for the file size of videos that can be uploaded?

If so, then I really do think that a separate user group permission for video uploads is needed. Without it the only way to prevent anyone uploading huge video files would be to set the video file size max to something so small that it makes it useless, or to disallow many users from uploading anything at all if they want just selected members to be able to upload larger video files.

This is a nice feature and I highly appreciate the possibility to turn it off as that might become a requirement in the EU soon :)

I'd strongly appreciate if the design decision not to do chunked uploads could be reconsidered and changed before 2.1 gets released.
We do run our own servers and I can configure them as required, however I can't make our users internet connections reliable.

Uploading large files in one go on unreliable networks is quite a challenge, I once tested a PoC video upload for our vBulletin 4 forums - I did not scucceed posting a ~120 MB in one go file without aborts from our office (leased line, copper, 10 MBit).

Therefore I think it is crucial to support chunked/resumable uploads to make this feature usable.
It’s not happening for 2.1. There’s no time. If it’s something you aren’t able to provide to your users due to restrictions then you can effectively disable video uploads by removing the allowed extensions.

Have we met before, btw? ;)
You made me think I forgot to sign the post 😂 Cheeky!

Actually...

We do have this already. There's a method you can extend which decides whether the URL can be "fetched" or not. That would be a good target for what you're thinking, I think.
Fair enough, that’ll do I reckon. If not, I’ll be back to yell at you during the development preview stage 😝

Fillip

It’s not happening for 2.1. There’s no time. If it’s something you aren’t able to provide to your users due to restrictions then you can effectively disable video uploads by removing the allowed extensions.
Chris, the problem ist not that we can't provide a feature to our users, I can easily configure our servers to accept POST with 1 GB or more.
Point is that I fear users won't be able to use it due to network issues ending up in frustration and support requests, and if that is the case the feature will be kinda useless :(

Which network issues, exactly? Whether chunked uploads are supported or not, a network issue would interrupt the process. Unless you're now also talking about fully resumable uploads which is almost certainly a different ball game and not something we're considering even in the short term to medium term.

Let me just round this off by saying, we are considering it. It's definitely not happening in 2.1 though, so it would be a good thing to start looking at when we start 2.2 development.

But it's worth bearing in mind that we've had video upload support in XFMG now for over 3 years and not once has the issue of upload chunking ever been raised as a problem. I'm not saying it isn't theoretically an issue, but the point is that 3 years of experience have already told us that it isn't a significant issue, otherwise we'd have addressed it now rather than later.

Disappointing. So we either hope someone supports it via an add-on, pay someone to build it for us or wait another year so file uploads are optimized in a time when sharing larger resolution images and videos is exploding via mobile?

It is hard to recommend things like this when no one has a clue what was coming in 2.1. But now it is too late as you have said because there isn't enough time. Had I known video uploads directly to forum posts were going to be a new feature it certainly would have been recommended earlier. Now its just more money out of pocket to support our end users ability to use a supported feature. I know it sounds like I am mad but just disappointed from my end.

Which network issues, exactly?
TCP Connection Resets, disconnects/lost sync on DSL, switching network (WiFi/Cellular) and gettinga a new IP, etc.

Whether chunked uploads are supported or not, a network issue would interrupt the process.
Yes, but only the affected chunk would have to be retried, which of course implies resuamble uploads.

But it's worth bearing in mind that we've had video upload support in XFMG now for over 3 years and not once has the issue of upload chunking ever been raised as a problem.
I don't think this feature has been widely used, but I would imagine video upload in forum posts will get a lot more attraction.

Anyway, we'll see how the approach works - maybe I am just a little bit too concerned about possible problems :)

Disappointing. So we either hope someone supports it via an add-on, pay someone to build it for us or wait another year so file uploads are optimized in an time when sharing larger resolution images and videos is exploding?
Or just see if it actually is as much as a problem you think it is. Which I don't think it is. As I said, we've got 3 years experience in providing functionality for people to upload videos via XFMG. Not once do I recall any feedback to suggest that upload chunking was as much as a necessity as you seem to imply, and I certainly don't recall any previous suggestions about such a feature in general.

Maybe our experience is wrong, and it is a necessity. If that's the case, then we can act upon that feedback in the future.

Or just see if it actually is as much as a problem you think it is. Which I don't think it is.

I can tell you that it is because I use Cloudflare and have run into this issue on the media gallery and that is something that isn't going to be nearly as widely used as forum post uploads. Now that users can upload directly to forum posts its going to be non stop complaints about why they can't upload anything over 100MB!

We get requests all the time asking why users can't upload videos to posts. Now I get to tell them they can't upload anything more than just over a minute in length.

We will see how this goes but I can already tell by the feedback we have seen that this is going to hurt those that use 3rd party proxies like Cloudflare.

My opinion has been heard so I won't cloud of the thread anymore.

Holy crap, all these look awesome!!

So pleased you guys are starting to take video seriously for normal posts.

Will post some more thoughts when not on mobile - but wanted to post now to say these all in all are really solid new features!

Nice one team! 👊😁

Disappointing. So we either hope someone supports it via an add-on, pay someone to build it for us or wait another year so file uploads are optimized in a time when sharing larger resolution images and videos is exploding via mobile?

It is hard to recommend things like this when no one has a clue what was coming in 2.1. But now it is too late as you have said because there isn't enough time. Had I known video uploads directly to forum posts were going to be a new feature it certainly would have been recommended earlier. Now its just more money out of pocket to support our end users ability to use a supported feature. I know it sounds like I am mad but just disappointed from my end.
Stop acting entitled. It's disappointing you're so negative.

If you require the feature now go build it from the ground up as if they did not make the feature at all.

Top Bottom