XF 2.1 Unfurling URLs, Emoji enhancements and video uploads

Here we go! We're four HYS threads in already and you might be wondering just how many there are left. Well, I can't tell you šŸ˜‰ But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend caressing that "Watch forum" link and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already šŸ™‚

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop acting entitled. It's disappointing you're so negative.

If you require the feature now go build it from the ground up as if they did not make the feature at all.

I can give my opinion even if it isn't positive. You have no right to tell me what I can and can not say on here just because you dislike it, so why don't you mind your own business?

Stop acting entitled. It's disappointing you're so negative.

If you require the feature now go build it from the ground up as if they did not make the feature at all.
Just wanted to add that we don't necessarily agree that @Brent W is acting entitled, and don't necessarily think that the solution is for customers to go and build it themselves.

We appreciate the feedback, good and bad. It has highlighted to us something that appears to be a potentially important factor so we just need to keep considering and monitoring that going forward.

I'm surprised nobody else caught this.

It appears release is imminent. :D
Well we're less than half way through the HYS process. But we've still got a lot to do in terms of various bits we've got outstanding. We do have a schedule in mind though so when you take everything on our plate in context there's literally no time.

Could just be feature locked though, since every feature takes quite a bit of testing :p

Or maybe the first DP is imminentā€½ Give it me!

Fillip
There won't be a DP as such. Straight to public beta shortly after we roll 2.1 out here.

Great to see video uploads. So far all HYS are really great.

Usergroup permissions would be nice. I don't want attackers to be able to register 20 accounts and start uploading large video all at the same time.

I really wish XenForo would tackle the issue of media being so confusing on forum software. Now people can upload video directly to forum posts on top of the Media Gallery.
The duplication is an issue because users get confused. It would be nice if video goes to the media gallery even if its uploaded to posts. Facebook does this well. They let you post anything from the same location. It just automatically goes into your albums.

The duplication is an issue because users get confused. It would be nice if video goes to the media gallery even if its uploaded to posts. Facebook does this well. They let you post anything from the same location. It just automatically goes into your albums.

I think everything should go to the media gallery. As you said, facebook does this well. Any images uploaded to posts automatically have their own album created and stored there. Videos same. Or you can choose to create a new album when you upload so you can start organizing. It should be super simple to implement this into the upload process.

It should be super simple to implement this into the upload process.
Although I totally agree that much more deep integration of the media gallery is necessary, I don't think that it is actually that easy:

A user having access to the gallery might not necessarily have access to the thread where I post an image so IMHO you can't just put all post attachments into one public album and treat all of them with the same permissions.

This would probably require some kined of "allowed audience" setting when adding an attachment, just like Facebook allows you to configure who can see a post you make.

Good news, as well as the other HYS threads. At the moment I like this post the most:
Well we're less than half way through the HYS process.
(y)
This is a nice feature and I highly appreciate the possibility to turn it off as that might become a requirement in the EU soon :)
So, will it be possible to have unfurling urls just for internal links (without an addon that takes care of it)? Or maybe more feature-rich unfurling for internal urls (like a competitor has, I think) in a next release? :unsure:

A video with length of just over 1 minute and 20 seconds at 1080p with H.264 encoding which is standard for most modern phones these days comes in at over 100MB which excludes anyone not on a Business plan ($200 a month) with Cloudflare.

I just dropped cloudflare today because of this problem. i am now using stackpath because they dont impose any file upload limits.

I have video uploads for xenforo 1.5 addon made this week at a huge cost.

right now anyone can upload a video, it will trim it down to the first 60seconds and upload it to my server and then transfer it to my aws s3 server afterwards :)

Videos certainly won't be getting any smaller, but video compression is super complicated and taxing for the server. If that's a concern, then uploading to YouTube and embedding might still be the best option.
Users on any forums I run are already used to uploading to YouTube and linking them in posts, so we'll likely stick to that. I'm thinking in terms of storage space--videos eat up a lot of storage, and on a server it can be costly. Even on my media server here at home, the video content eats up large blocks of space compared to music files. The only thing we run into with YouTube is that some of the uploads get flagged due to DMCA; for obvious reasons we would not want to host those videos either. ;)

I suppose I could also ask if you've put a per-user quota system in place for uploads...busy forums find that a necessity. ;)

No but in all seriousness though; will this feature have domain filtering / whitelisting? For our case specifically, some of our customers may have NSFW sites that I wouldn't want unfurled ...
What we do now for URLs we disapprove of (only a small handful, like less than a dozen), we put them into the word censor which "breaks" them. It does the trick well enough for us. NSFW links aren't ones we allow anyway, so that kind of side-steps the unfurling issue for us.

A video with length of just over 1 minute and 20 seconds at 1080p with H.264 encoding which is standard for most modern phones these days comes in at over 100MB which excludes anyone not on a Business plan ($200 a month) with Cloudflare.
Maybe mostly a moot point considering most people won't have the server storage space for all those videos anyway? Good way to prove all those "unlimited storage" advertisements a lie, once you have a terabyte-plus of videos uploaded in a short time. And with no way to restrict usergroups (at least until maybe someone else develops an addon for it), I expect things would get out of hand fairly quickly on even just a moderate size forum. So...maybe mostly a niche feature, for mostly people who can afford $200 a month for Cloudflare...?

But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet!
I was not expecting this and this is good news for me.

All in all the video uploads are major improvements (which needs polishing of course). Thank you.

When a URL is inserted into content and that URL exists on its own line within the content, we will "unfurl" it to a richer preview which includes the page title, metadata logo, description and favicon.
Can we have unfurl deactivated but favicons activated?

And with no way to restrict usergroups (at least until maybe someone else develops an addon for it), I expect things would get out of hand fairly quickly on even just a moderate size forum.
Things got out of hand on one of our forums just by allowing image uploads. The helpful images weren't a problem, but we had rashes of users uploading GIFs just for some silly/stupid reaction to a post above theirs, and those ate up way more space than JPG images. We had to discontinue image attachments for anyone but staff due the rampant abuse, and also due to the fact that there was not any type of per-user image uploading quota system in place (nor a means to let them clear out their old attachments easily). We do still allow them in our "classified ads" area, but have strict rules in place.

With a tight quota system, it puts responsibility on users to maintain their own library of uploaded content. If they fill up their quota, they need to trim things back. We are not some billion-dollar corporation that lets users upload unlimited content. :)

Top Bottom