Understanding the License Argeement

Andrej

Hello,
I currently have one forum project running (phpBB, wish to upgrade it to XenForo), and one in planning stage (No forum yet). Since I have only 1 license at the moment, this question will impact my decision on where to deploy my XenForo license. (1x)

3. Restrictions

This license is granted to You alone. You may not redistribute the Software in whole or in part. You may not rent, lease, sublicense, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of XenForo Limited.

The phpBB forum is currently owned by my friend, since I have less time to fully administrate it. He is hosting the forum on his server and his domain. However now I got more free time. Due to that we thought that it would be a good idea to switch to XenForo, and make the forum even better.

So my question is: Can I convert the forum to XenForo (use my license) where my friend owns the server and domain (I trust him, and I have backups on my own server just in case) without breaching the License Agreement?

Apologies for my English language.

Well.... it's all technicalities.. or how you choose to understand the EULA wording..

If you're uploading your xenforo files, that could be construed as disposing of the software or transferring the software to a webserver which isn't owned by you, and where others (your friend) can get access to your xenforo files, download them, copy them and then share them (potentially, not saying he will).. which constitutes a breach of the EULA.. which is probably why that clause is there.. you can't be responsible for his actions 24/7

So I would say "no", but also "ask xenforo ltd to allow you in writing" (support ticket)

You may run a non-public testing installation, in addition to your live production website. Data may be interchanged between the two, so you can do your pre-deployment work on your testing server and then deploy to your friend's server provided you don't transfer ownership rights of the software to him.

The idea of the clause in the license agreement to which you refer is not to inconvenience customers, it's simply to prevent one license being sold or given out so that more than one person can run a XenForo installation from a single license. Provided you don't do that, you're unlikely to fall foul of the terms of the license.

You may run a non-public testing installation, in addition to your live production website. Data may be interchanged between the two, so you can do your pre-deployment work on your testing server and then deploy to your friend's server provided you don't transfer ownership rights of the software to him.

The idea of the clause in the license agreement to which you refer is not to inconvenience customers, it's simply to prevent one license being sold or given out so that more than one person can run a XenForo installation from a single license. Provided you don't do that, you're unlikely to fall foul of the terms of the license.

Thank you for your answer, Kier. I will think more about this and evaluate.

Top Bottom