Understanding User State other than Valid

Steve Freides

I am trying to understand what a user state of Rejected means, as opposed to a user who is Banned.

Background: I am poking around at new registrations on our forum for the month of March, 2024. No one is both Rejected and Banned. My approval queue shows people who, if they've been reported as spammers, I Ban. But I have never Rejected a user that I am aware of and thus don't know what this means. We run the stock User Promotion - after 3 posts, they are added to the group Verified - IDK if this matters or not in this context.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-

IIRC rejected is assigned when signing up if they hit the spam checks such as StopForumSpam, Project Honeypot, Tornevall
IOW, rejected before their request to join gets to my moderation queue? Right now, I get the option to approve or ban such people or so I thought.

Thank you.

-S-

To clarify, it looks like I get both choices. This is from my approval queue, where it flagged someone as

StopForumSpam matched (username: 24, ip: 4)

I don't think I've ever manually used Reject, I just use Spam Clean.

-S-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 1.49.43 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 1.49.43 PM.webp
    16 KB · Views: 1
To clarify, it looks like I get both choices. This is from my approval queue, where it flagged someone as

StopForumSpam matched (username: 24, ip: 4)

I don't think I've ever manually used Reject, I just use Spam Clean.

-S-
So a user registration hit the approval queue. That would appear to mean that you've got "Reject registrations when this many warning flags are detected" set to 3 or just plain disabled.
That doesn't prove anything of course, but I think that getting all 3 flags is pretty rare.

In any case, you can just check the change log for any rejected accounts to find out how they reached that state.

Top Bottom