Uber-Newbie

Craig

Hello all,

I am an uber-newbie/novice. I am wondering if your program is kinder to those of us who are new to forums than what I currently use? I desire to be able to accept donations, and give my members who donate status awards such as VIP, etc. Plus awards based on their donated amount. Thank you for your time!

My opinion as a non-expert....if you take the time to learn some rudimentary basics (learn how to ftp/move files, learn the very basics of html/php, and take some time to understand the minimum issues of how to run a forum, including marketing/SEO), then all of this is pretty easy. You might need to pay for some assistance (in my experience, just with graphics design and some minor help with coding), then this is all very doable with XenForo (of course, this is a new product, but I am basing this on my experience with a formerly great product, vBulletin).

I guess my answer is, it depends on your level of interest, ability to learn some basic things, and tolerance for the learning curve. Many people will help you. But, if you don't spend the time to learn, you will probably be frustrated. Of course, if you really don't want to/don't have the time to learn, etc., you can pay people to do it for you. So, I guess it is a balance between your resources (time/ability/inclination to learn vs. money).

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

I'm not sure if I already asked this, but is there a scheduled stable release date? I hear they maybe another sale? Is this true? If so how do I get on a mailing list for future promotions and updates?

I'm not sure if I already asked this, but is there a scheduled stable release date? I hear they maybe another sale? Is this true? If so how do I get on a mailing list for future promotions and updates?
Craig, I know nothing about another sale anytime soon, or at all.
We don't have a date for the gold release. I'm sure there will be several beta releases between now and then.

Is there any draw back to purchasing the BETA?
If you mean 'is there any downsides' or negative things with regarding buying beta vs waiting for full release, I don't think so. The 1 year of support for the product does not start until the full release if that is what you are asking about. You could buy beta and start to play with it, and learn, which takes time like all software.

If you are asking about going live with a beta version, that would have a different set of caveats, everyones needs are different.

The only drawback is that as soon you have seen and used the beta, you want to upgrade your live boards to it ASAP but you can't because there is no third party script support available yet :(

(And of course waiting for RTM/gold is always better with regard of bugs.)

I went live with mine just a few days ago with a fresh site with ZERO problems. I would wait until the next beta or so if you're converting a vB or other platform though.

LOL, I would never have the patience to wait for Gold before switching.

I am starting a whole new site with XenForo.

what I am also wondering is will I be able to make changes to the skin like this web site http://www.wrxtuners.com/ (This is only to illustrate what I would like to do to the skin on my site). I am in now way copying this site merely using it as an example.I would also like to be able to customize the icons used to show new posts, or hot topic posts.

I am starting a whole new site with XenForo.

what I am also wondering is will I be able to make changes to the skin like this web site http://www.wrxtuners.com/ (This is only to illustrate what I would like to do to the skin on my site). I am in now way copying this site merely using it as an example.I would also like to be able to customize the icons used to show new posts, or hot topic posts.

I'm 98% sure all of what you mentioned is possible right now :) There's a learning curve, but it's worth it.

If you are asking about going live with a beta version, that would have a different set of caveats, everyones needs are different.

I would say that given his description of his level of expertise, it would be better to wait for the final version to go live. I don't think coders realize exactly how much more they know. They take a lot of their knowledge for granted. :)

Sometime next year ;)

On a more serious note, the developers have stated several times that they won't commit to a fixed date and will only release it as stable once they are happy with it.
I wouldn't expect it to be too much longer though considering we are now at Beta 5.

What happens with those that buy the Beta version at $140.00? will they have to repurchase the final version?

I also hope XenForo is easier to modify for those of us with limited skills than is IPB or the like.

Once you purchase a license, it is yours for life (assuming you don't sell it on/give it away).

12 months of support/upgrades are included with the initial purchase, which doesn't start until the software is released as a stable version.

Thereafter there is an optional annual fee.

This is from the purchase screen:
XenForo License
Includes 12 months of ticket support and upgrades. Support and upgrade access can be extended for $40 for an additional 12 months.

XenForo 12-Month Extension - $40
The 12-month extension provides access to support and updates for 12 months from the date of purchase. Please note that your license must be up-to-date to access certain licensed customer areas, such as ticket support.

Extensions will be available for purchase soon after a stable version is released.

Top Bottom