Trying to Decide Between XenForo and IPB

Ian Eberle

I want to start a forum under the domain AquaticForums.net and I have been looking at three major software companies - vBulletin, IPB, and lately, XenForo. I automatically ruled vBulletin out because it looks as if they are going backwards in development, so now it's down to XenForo and IPB.

I had my heart set on IPB until I went to check out and it was going to cost almost $300 to get the IP.Board, IP.Nexus, and IP.Content. That's $300 without the extra renewal fees to get updates every 6 months. Basically, IPB looked like an endless money pit, so I turned to XenForo. I know XenForo is currently in a lawsuit, but I don't really care. I see them beating vBulletin and if they don't, I'll simply take my forum to another platform - no biggie.

Here's what I like about IP.Board and their official addons (IP.Nexus and IP.Content):

1. Flashy design - The first thing that caught my eye about IPB was that the design appears modern. Most vBulletin-powered forums look like they were made in 2005 and haven't been updated since. Even the forum I'm trying to base mine off of (AquariumAdvice.com) looks archaic and old. Plus, the old vBulletin software is hard to navigate with its complex menus and such.

2. The ability to bill members using IP.Nexus that will automatically add them to certain groups and display badges or custom messages under their username when they post. I'm pretty sure vBulletin also offers this.

3. Another thing about IP.Nexus - The ability to accept credit cards and other forms of payment with Authorize.net, PayPal, 2Checkout, etc. This is nice so I can accept donations, create a premium area, sell advertisements directly, etc. IP.Nexus also had advanced options for ad placement even with Google AdSense, which is probably what I'll start using at first.

4. IP.Content seems to be streamlined into the forum software as well as other addons like Nexus and Gallery.

5. I liked some other features, but generally, I want software that does what it's supposed to.

What I don't like about IP.Board:

1. The price is outrageous.

2. You can't transfer licenses, so if I were to get a used license from a place like Digital Point Forums, it would be sketchy and risky, so I'm stuck paying the full price if I want to be safe.

3. When people reply to a thread (or start their own), they have to opt-in to email updates with a special button. I feel that this button is very much overlooked and will affect the amount of repeat visitors I have. People are used to vBulletin's style - when you reply to a thread, you're automatically subscribed to receive emails when others reply. I personally like this and it's disappointing that IPB doesn't even allow you to turn it on without altering code.

What about XenForo?

I understand XenForo is in the middle of a big lawsuit right now, so things are delayed, but they really have no information on their sales page. I know they have the demo you can try out, but they don't really tell you the features it comes with. The price at $140 is VERY reasonable and I believe that's a one-time deal, correct?

As with CMS, I would probably use WordPress as I am already familiar with it. However, I'm still unsure if installing XenForo at forums.domain.com or domain.com/forums would be better for SEO if I used WordPress as a CMS for articles.

Does XenForo allow the features I like with IPB? What about the ones I dislike? The truth is - there's not a lot of info out there about XenForo, but it looks promising! I know the signup and getting to be able to post this thread was super easy, so it's already giving me a good impression.

P.S. One last thing - I've seen a lot of people talking about XenForo's code and how perfect it is. This is something else that's important to me because good code = less server load. If the code has PHP errors and stuff, it could cause timeouts and cause my server to crash.

Just wanted to clear up a couple of points that I think you might not have the full information......

The price of just IPB is about the same as buying vBulletin or Xenforo.
No it's not. Xenforo is $140 dude. How is that the same with vBulletin and IPB?

Anyway, to the threadstarter, I came from vBulletin 4. I have spent way less on my Xenforo than I did on vBulletin. Xenforo has a lot of features by default that you would have to pay for in vBulletin. Can't really speak on IPB because I don't use it so just telling you what I know.

I didn't really involve Paypal. They did by escalating our dispute to a claim. Anyway - I did what any unhappy customer would do. And I did it peacefully without any rudeness on my side. I always try to be polite. It's a shame they did that. I wanted to buy IP.Content but now I am not sure. They don't really seem like very nice people to deal with. Such an angry reaction for something really small.
Damn dude you got screwed.

No it's not. Xenforo is $140 dude. How is that the same with vBulletin and IPB?
IPB is $150, and you can probably get it cheaper with one of the coupons they keep releasing. Ten bucks difference isn't substantial. XF is $40 a year to renew, IPB is $25 every six months, again, not a substantial difference in price. I really don't care what vBulletin is charging these days....

I didn't really involve Paypal. They did by escalating our dispute to a claim. Anyway - I did what any unhappy customer would do. And I did it peacefully without any rudeness on my side. I always try to be polite. It's a shame they did that. I wanted to buy IP.Content but now I am not sure. They don't really seem like very nice people to deal with. Such an angry reaction for something really small.

http://www.invisionpower.com/legal/standards/
It is our policy to deny refunds for software once it is downloaded and/or installed for you by our technicians. Please use our demo systems or contact our sales department with any questions you may have about product or service performance before you purchase.

You didn't really involve Paypal, but you did the first step to make it involved. ;) There where is the mistake.

I would open a new ticket and asked your first ticket to be bumped to management and see what they reply. But now, your only way of communication is http://www.invisionpower.com/contact/. Briefly explain the situation with a calm tone, and I am sure something can be done.

Go with Xenforo, you will not regret it!

1. Community is helpful.
2. XF lawsuit will be over soon.
3. Editor is awesome... IPB editor, plainly sucks. I find more time editing my posts cos of their editor messing things up.

At the end of day, Xenforo, rocks!

I have XenForo since March 2010. Right now I'm rising money for a IBB license. Yea it's 175$ but at least they have upgrades... I havn't seen an upgrade on XenForo in a long time. Probably because the lawsuit.
Just the fact I don't know if I will ever see upgrades or not, makes me chose IBB.

I have XenForo since March 2010. Right now I'm rising money for a IBB license. Yea it's 175$ but at least they have upgrades... I havn't seen an upgrade on XenForo in a long time. Probably because the lawsuit.
Just the fact I don't know if I will ever see upgrades or not, makes me chose IBB.

What needs upgrading? There are no security exploits that require patching and the software runs smooth and fast and uses the least server resources of any forum software on the market. I don't get why people keep crying about lack of upgrades when the reality is, there is nothing broken to fix.

What does IPB (IP Board) / IPS (Invision Power Services) do when you express your own opinion and personal point of view, based upon your own personal experience from your point of view?

They "may threaten" to sue you... assuming this e-mail is of course originally from the source it claims it to be from. At this time I have no reason to believe that it is not.

Untitled.webp

Delivered-To: *******@gmail.com
Received: by 10.64.14.19 with SMTP id l19csp248989iec;
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:16:09 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.52.66.71 with SMTP id d7mr445125vdt.121.1355368568710;
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:16:08 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <*********@invisionpower.com>
Received: from smtp206.iad.emailsrvr.com (smtp206.iad.emailsrvr.com. [207.97.245.206])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id fr5si275153vcb.24.2012.12.12.19.16.08
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:16:08 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of ********@invisionpower.com designates 207.97.245.206 as permitted sender) client-ip=207.97.245.206;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of *******@invisionpower.com designates 207.97.245.206 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=*********@invisionpower.com
Received: from localhost (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
by smtp50.relay.iad1a.emailsrvr.com (SMTP Server) with ESMTP id 1809E37079D
for <************@gmail.com>; Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:16:08 -0500 (EST)
X-Virus-Scanned: OK
Received: from smtp192.mex02.mlsrvr.com (smtp192.mex02.mlsrvr.com [204.232.137.43])
by smtp50.relay.iad1a.emailsrvr.com (SMTP Server) with ESMTPS id 0389F370795
for <********@gmail.com>; Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:16:07 -0500 (EST)
Received: from IAD2MBX14.mex02.mlsrvr.com ([172.23.11.106]) by
IAD2HUB02.mex02.mlsrvr.com ([172.23.10.66]) with mapi; Wed, 12 Dec 2012
22:16:07 -0500
To: "**********@gmail.com" <**********@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:16:06 -0500
Subject: Invision Power Services
Thread-Topic: Invision Power Services
Thread-Index: Ac3Y4DEZp5kmjuRQRBaCRZ3IfQ4R+A==
Message-ID: <*************@invisionpower.com>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
acceptlanguage: en-US
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="**********invisionpowercom_"
MIME-Version: 1.0

*************invisionpowercom_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Adam,

In spite of several attempts to prevent you from purporting false, inaccura=
te and libelous claims about IPS which can be proven to be damaging to the =
reputation of our company, you have continued your libelous action. I'm afr=
aid your recent posting including a falsified screenshot has crossed a line=
that we simply cannot allow to continue.

As such, we have made the decision to proceed with litigation.

I would not expect you to make it an easy process for us by any stretch, bu=
t I wanted to offer you the opportunity to provide a valid address for the =
purpose of serving paperwork. The address we have is************ - but you initially listed ******* on the account. If tha=
t is an address of your mother, or another relative, I would like to avoid =
needlessly concerning them with having a deputy turn up to serve paperwork.=
If there is a more appropriate address, please feel free to provide it. Fa=
iling that, we will first attempt the address on file and then proceed with=
subpoenas until we're able to successfully serve you.

It is regretful that such action is necessary, however, I do not see any ot=
her option at this juncture. Your behavior has clearly crossed a line that =
can no longer be ignored.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. I=
f you wish to retain counsel, I would be happy to place our corporate couns=
el, James Richards, in contact with your representation.

Regards,

Lindy Throgmartin
CEO, Invision Power Services, Inc.
Web: ******invisionpower.com<*******invisionpower.com>

My reply....

Do it.
Do it now.

Tons of people either on The Internet or in person (in the real world), both via word of mouth, openly express their personal opinion and experience from their view-point in regards to the products or services they have used or currently use. People write up online reviews and openly inform others with either praise or warnings. Even my 95 year old grandfather has an opinion and something to say about one company or another.

Who hasn't at one time or another said they loved the customer service they received at for example, Verizon Wireless or ATT or T-Mobile or O2. Or perhaps just the opposite such as they may tell their friends, family, and write up an online review claiming how much they think either of those companies, suck.

Indeed within forum software, even on this very site, people daily will tell you what they love, like, dislike, or hate about vBulletin, IPB, BB, and even XenForo. Everyone sharing their opinion from their point of view and their personal opinion of their experience.

And yet you do not see Verizon, ATT, T-Moble, or O2 threatening to sue their current or past customers. Neither do you see vBulletin or XenForo do so either.

Almost a full year ago, IPS (Invision Power Services Inc) in my opinion took my money and ran, when I received a notice claiming I no longer had the valid right to use the software I purchased (24 - 72 hours after the fact of being denied service).

In my opinion and from my own personal experience that was done so on the wrongful misinformation provided by an outside 3rd party and prior leading up to that event, it is my personal opinion and experience that I do believe that I was poorly treated and disrespected by representing staff and that my customer service was not satisfactory.

Further more I personally do believe as a matter of opinion and experience, that you have a strong dislike and the need to control information and the opinion of others. This e-mail in my opinion is just one fine example to that personal believed fact.

I do not believe my opinion or the opinion of anyone else in regards to your company is something you can freely deny or control. Just as everyone is free to write up a positive or negative review for Verizon, ATT, T-Moble, or O2 and comment freely based upon their own personal opinion or experience whenever they see fit.

And at the time of this writing it is my personal opinion and continued experience, to the best of my knowledge that everything ever posted by me is of course truthful. Including my continued belief that you dislike freedom of speech and freedom of information.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :)

Anyone and everyone who wishes to obtain a copy of the above e-mail, need only send me a PM (personal message) with their e-mail address and I will be willing in the interest of freedom of information to forward you a copy.

On that note and while remaining on topic to this thread... This is one noticeable difference in my opinion between IPB and XenForo.

IPB costs you $200 for one year ($175 + $25 for 6 month renewal)
And XF costs you $140 for one year. So you pay $60 more if you go with IPB.
No matter how you twist it, you would spend more money for IPB than for Xenforo. It's not only the core product, but the many paid addons too. Also at the end of the day the resource hug of IPB surely has an impact to your wallet too. Not to mention the SEO. The better the SEO the more traffic you get the more money you make with ads.

What needs upgrading? There are no security exploits that require patching and the software runs smooth and fast and uses the least server resources of any forum software on the market. I don't get why people keep crying about lack of upgrades when the reality is, there is nothing broken to fix.

Just because there is nothing to be fixed it does not mean we should stagnate. There is always place for improvement.

It's a triple rainbow!!!

IPB claims that "forum owners can abuse that option" so they don't even include it in their software.

I have my 'automatically watch threads' and email notifications set to max (think Facebook...) and have had very few complaints. I've had members come back after being gone a couple years because an old thread got bumped. I think XF calls this 'social engagement' & it works.

Welcome aboard.

I have my 'automatically watch threads' and email notifications set to max (think Facebook...) and have had very few complaints. I've had members come back after being gone a couple years because an old thread got bumped. I think XF calls this 'social engagement' & it works.

Welcome aboard.
This has an unfortunate side-effect. Users who don't read when registering and don't bother changing anything may be annoyed that they're constantly receiving emails from your forum, so they report them as spam.
Then all your emails go to spam and nobody sees them anyway. Or worse, you get completely blocked... Microsoft did this to my forum which was a real big pain, since several thousand users used Hotmail, Live, MSN and such.

Ah, Sounds like XF needs to handle bounced email support as well as no click emails support. (better user tracking?)

But web developers are not email best practise experts!, Well lets break the trend and get the job done already.
Or do we wait until this affects business/XenForo directly ? (don't think I will have to hold my breath long)

Email is Big Business and they want to take away the free bulk option from us, Deny, Try or opt in to best practices before it is too late.

And include a global unsubscribe link with forum emails to comply with the Can-Spam-Act already.

Just setting up my 4th XF and having the usual smooth happy time pottering about -install took less than half an hour, basic configuration ALL the basics including basic design about another hour.
Another hour or two on the addons I want and I'm all set.
£100 and cheap at the price.

What I love is being able to FIND everything and endless endless customisation.

Top Bottom