Implemented Thread Tagging

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Having thousands of tags for every word in existence is retarded.
You simply cannot manage that.
Using tags as an adhoc faux taxonomy system is the better way to go.
Lets say you run an entertainment forum.
And you have a forum for music with subforums for Rap,Rock,Pop, etc..
And a forum for Movies, with subforums for Drama, Comedy, Action, etc...
Now the Social Network movie is coming out, its a Drama so you put it in that subforum.
But it also stars Justin Timberlake who is a pop star... do you also make a thread about it in the Pop music forum?
Maybe... im sure some would.
But you also have the option of tagging that particular thread with the words Justin Timberlake if that is a topic that you think trends on your site.
You can then create an image of Justin or simply create a link, place it somewhere on your forum, and have that link go to a list of all threads tagged with Justin Timberlake.

Why the hell did i decide to use Justin Timberlake as my friggin example :pity:
I was wondering that myself...I just figured you were a fan ;)...To be honest, I never really understood the purpose of the tagging system, all those key words should be in the posts? Correct? Why do we need them listed again within another sub-system. I use it on my site and I notice spiders crawl that list frequently. Maybe there is some value there.

On our site we use the tagging system for finding things of interest. For a long time it was admin only, then the group that could tag was expanded to about 12 people. There are about 80 predefined tags to select from, and only an admin can add a tag.

It works excellent. Not sure if it is essential though. Essentially I could add an obscure word in those threads and find them using search, it would just be slightly less friendly.

Admin specified tags would be much better than what we had in vB I think. Better to have 100 useful and content relevant tags than 10,000 useless ones. The tags should then be presented in a drop down menu to the user.

I should have stated we are currently using vb3.8. There are ways to limit who can add tags and who can create tags.

Tagging can be a good thing. Provided you have ways to sort those tags and display content that is relevant to the topic. IE, tags from a specific forum/s.

Tagging is one of those legacy features that sounded good in theory when it was originally introduced, but it never really met expectations. One thing is for sure though: Tag clouds are a great way to make a page look cluttered as hell, which is something I think the developers of Xenforo are trying desperately to avoid.

Tagging is one of those legacy features that sounded good in theory when it was originally introduced, but it never really met expectations. One thing is for sure though: Tag clouds are a great way to make a page look cluttered as hell, which is something I think the developers of Xenforo are trying desperately to avoid.
Which is why you'd not do it in the legacy way :).

I'm surprised I haven't read this yet, but a tagging system would be really great to have. :)
I second this suggestion. However, in my opinions, tags should be EXCLUSIVELY auto-generated (with only a backend override option), as their true purpose is just to improve searchability and SEO.

I second this suggestion. However, in my opinions, tags should be EXCLUSIVELY auto-generated (with only a backend override option), as their true purpose is just to improve searchability and SEO.
Auto-generating tags does little more then spam keywords that are in the title or content; less keywords generally do better then more keywords, and they should be words that explain a bit about the actual thread, rather then re-iterating the title or post content.

Please don't bloat the software with a tagging system. It is useless unless it is strictly controlled by staff, which on large forums is impossible. Leave this up to 3rd party.

Please don't bloat the software with a tagging system. It is useless unless it is strictly controlled by staff, which on large forums is impossible. Leave this up to 3rd party.
Moderation system is pluggable, so you can plug tags to be moderated.

Also, a robust system (Not vBulletins system, or even Wordpresses) would provide functionality that would be greatly useful for forums.

I agree with it being an add-on, just so I don't need to re-do my tag system or ditch it for the cores :p.

I spent a lot of time adding tags manually to threads in vBulletin. I would really like to see tags implemented and the ability to import them from vB.
Me too.

I don't know if/what the tag plans are, but we only have... 80? different tags. So my plan will be to click on the tags, which will find all threads tagged as such, then manually edit the posts to add the tags which can then be searched for. Luckily we only have a few thousand threads that have been (manually) tagged.

Insert into a post something like "tags: _blue _green _basketball" (3 different tags).

Yes - I feel a pre defined tag list will help define a forums 'direction' well and allow for tag topic easy search.. Whats not to like about a tag cloud of admin defined topics? I feel this would provide an 'at a glance' overview for newbies and casual visitors -make the UI less confusing..

AND! It may go some way to cure the dreaded repeat topic syndrome...

Top Bottom