Implemented Thread Tagging

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
With all the tags already existing in vB databases, I think most admins that are thinking about switching to XF would like to import that data and keep using this feature. This has my vote, although it's not an important feature for me personally TBH.

Yes. Some tag or other similar functionality.

Personally for us, what would be ideal would be an auto tagging system, where threads are only tagged from a relatively short (100?) list of tags to choose from (only if applicable from the content in the first post). Obviously that would be an addon.

Absolutely needed and essential, but please include a tag manager that can simplify managing tens of thousands of tags. I currently have 25.000 tags and its a hazard to manage in vb.
Whats also of major important with tags, is not to confuse them with keywords. Tags should include both keywords and keyphrases. Some tag systems only allow words, which simply doesn't work well. In such systems phrases are cut into words, which results in unwanted effects.
I use tags to sort and display related content. Tags allow display of threads in a manner similar to opening a dedicated forum for those. The number of forums you can have is limited (at least in vb). The number of tags is not limited. And tags work across content types, which is a huge benefit.

Same here.
For many of you at first it might sound as overkill but I'd vote for tag categorization and better management.

I can live without thread prefixes if there's a clever and flexible secondary categorization system (and a smartly executed tag like approach would serve this purpose very well...)

there may be a way to do this and I'm just not seeing it?

I searched subscribe to threads, and found this thread, so I'll post in here. If this needs it's own thread, mods please move it.

I was in the thread below (screenshot) trying to subscribe/watch - so I could come back later and view the video....

67l74m.gif

I tried to just watch a thread without replying - (think "subscribe to thread" in vb), and you'd not have to post in the thread. I tried hitting reply/preview - and it obviously doesn't like that. Is there a way to watch/subscribe to a thread without a person replying to a thread?

Thanks for any responses.

I found it very helpful on vb, so I wasn't just adding clutter to a thread posting ("subscribed", "in for later", etc), or something which would just keep bumping the thread. That way I could come back and view watched threads at a later date. Maybe this already exists and I'm just not seeing it?

and I found it at the top of each thread. (maybe the same text, "watch thread" can be added at the bottom of the thread (near the reply box). I clicked on more options thinking it would let me watch it. My bad

I tried to just watch a thread without replying - (think "subscribe to thread" in vb), and you'd not have to post in the thread. I tried hitting reply/preview - and it obviously doesn't like that. Is there a way to watch/subscribe to a thread without a person replying to a thread?

Thanks for any responses.

I found it very helpful on vb, so I wasn't just adding clutter to a thread posting ("subscribed", "in for later", etc), or something which would just keep bumping the thread. That way I could come back and view watched threads at a later date. Maybe this already exists and I'm just not seeing it?
There's a "Watch Thread" link at the top of the thread, right under the "Reply to Thread" button.

XF_watch_thread.webp

Edit: Ah you found it. :)

I'm on the fence with this one. Not a big fan of Tags, but if you go that route, we should have an automatic way to add tags.

Whether it is pre-set tags that folks can select from (or automatically added based on title and post content like this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=218350) or an Ajax-based auto-tagger (like this: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=201156).

Automatic from a admin pre-defined list (if applicable) is the only method I can think of that makes sense. While I have not tried that, I have tried many other things, and they just don't work.

Auto-tags are pretty bad from what I've seen. Maybe suggested ones while you add them or as you type a tag in a text field. The tag display area in topic view should be easily moved or changed. Not everyone wants to scroll all the way down.

I want a variation of prefixes.

The option of mandatory, admin defined TAGs

Prefixes on VB looked TERRIBLE they really made a mess in RSS feeds and in thread titles.

I am convinced that on my forum an admin defined mandatory tag selection (pick one TAG or thread wont get posted) will really help to set the tone and would make searching and ordering for reference, the nearly 400,000 threads I have - easier!

Then each sub forum would have an admin defined tag cloud (list)

I think having a tagging system in place would be great! However, some of my communities have absolutely no desire to take advantage of it, and most people have no idea what on earth it does they'll just completely skip by the "tags" field and think nothing of it. If it were to be implemented, it would be a nice if a handy question mark icon appeared next to the tagging fields and displayed a little balloon pop-up bubble when a brief description of what it does.

Allowing users to tag content usually (i.e., not always) results in nothing more than keyword spam, since its rarely consistent throughout a site/forum, which just makes the whole thing rather useless. However, it would be nice if mods could add tags to content they find worthwhile.

Allowing users to tag content usually (i.e., not always) results in nothing more than keyword spam, since its rarely consistent throughout a site/forum, which just makes the whole thing rather useless. However, it would be nice if mods could add tags to content they find worthwhile.
I'll be having a tag system made where tags are moderated (Or can be added from a predefined list), and we're planning on making it pluggable for other mods for extensive use on our site.

My theory is this - on really large forums you have repeated topics - it a shame when the forum is so big that it becomes a frustrating, huge swirling planet of dust and gas - where it seems simply too large and chaotic to reach old but nonetheless useful bits of information.

Pre defined topic centric tag categorizations would help newbies locate items quicker and also make regulars feel that their contributions wont become redundant, totally lost in the giant swirling planet of gas..

Further - to retrospectively make sense of things or to help keep a tidy house - In line tagging would be essential IMHO. The ability to search - then mass tag 100 / 200 threads at a time would be good. I have 300,000 + threads I want to get into better order..

More than tag clouds for seo, i want people/members tagging like Facebook. Where you can tag your friends to any image, video etc.. So they come up in the alerts or activity feed of the other tagged users.
its a must have for a social networking community and will give lot of activity within the community.

Having thousands of tags for every word in existence is retarded.
You simply cannot manage that.
Using tags as an adhoc faux taxonomy system is the better way to go.
Lets say you run an entertainment forum.
And you have a forum for music with subforums for Rap,Rock,Pop, etc..
And a forum for Movies, with subforums for Drama, Comedy, Action, etc...
Now the Social Network movie is coming out, its a Drama so you put it in that subforum.
But it also stars Justin Timberlake who is a pop star... do you also make a thread about it in the Pop music forum?
Maybe... im sure some would.
But you also have the option of tagging that particular thread with the words Justin Timberlake if that is a topic that you think trends on your site.
You can then create an image of Justin or simply create a link, place it somewhere on your forum, and have that link go to a list of all threads tagged with Justin Timberlake.

Why the hell did i decide to use Justin Timberlake as my friggin example :pity:

Having thousands of tags for every word in existence is retarded.
You simply cannot manage that.
Using tags as an adhoc faux taxonomy system is the better way to go.
Lets say you run an entertainment forum.
And you have a forum for music with subforums for Rap,Rock,Pop, etc..
And a forum for Movies, with subforums for Drama, Comedy, Action, etc...
Now the Social Network movie is coming out, its a Drama so you put it in that subforum.
But it also stars Justin Timberlake who is a pop star... do you also make a thread about it in the Pop music forum?
Maybe... im sure some would.
But you also have the option of tagging that particular thread with the words Justin Timberlake if that is a topic that you think trends on your site.
You can then create an image of Justin or simply create a link, place it somewhere on your forum, and have that link go to a list of all threads tagged with Justin Timberlake.

Why the hell did i decide to use Justin Timberlake as my friggin example :pity:
The idea of predefined tags is that you'll use ones that are related to your niche; music would have rock, hip hop, rap, country, blues, jazz, trance, techno; movies/tv would have drama, comedy, supernatural, fantasy, scifi. Unlike Lynnes modification for vB4 (Which I love), my sites will allow separate sets for predefined tags.

It'll also allow tags to be submitted manually, which will have the option to moderate, so people cannot add ridiculous or abusive tags.

Don't get me wrong, I DO like using tags. And the spiders seem to love them too.
Agreed, this is a needed feature, but not essential. +1

Though I like tagging, I've never had spiders crawling on them... Mind you, I had to wrestle a giant huntsman spider to the death this morning.

Top Bottom