1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Thread Tagging

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Onimua, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I'm surprised I haven't read this yet, but a tagging system would be really great to have. :)
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Definitely but make it easy to tag content.
  3. GodForum.com

GodForum.com Well-Known Member

I already brought this up ... we need for both text and video. :D
    Alfa1 likes this.
  4. Jura

Jura Member

I value finding similar content. Perhaps have similar topics based on tags that display with the tags of a thread. Two things with one.
    ForestForTrees, Alfa1 and Onimua like this.
  5. Floris

Floris Guest

A tagging for content will always have my vote.
    ForestForTrees likes this.
  6. Green Cat

Green Cat Active Member

This is an important one but I think it much more likely to be added later on rather than in 1.0
  7. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Most likely will be a mod, I would think.
    It's a nice feature, but not essential.
    Junior and dutchbb like this.
  8. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

yes, unfortunately my users never loved this feature ...
  9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Absolutely needed and essential, but please include a tag manager that can simplify managing tens of thousands of tags. I currently have 25.000 tags and its a hazard to manage in vb.
    Whats also of major important with tags, is not to confuse them with keywords. Tags should include both keywords and keyphrases. Some tag systems only allow words, which simply doesn't work well. In such systems phrases are cut into words, which results in unwanted effects.
    I use tags to sort and display related content. Tags allow display of threads in a manner similar to opening a dedicated forum for those. The number of forums you can have is limited (at least in vb). The number of tags is not limited. And tags work across content types, which is a huge benefit.
  10. Vilandra

Vilandra Active Member

Yeah I've not got into using this one - probably I just never saw the usefulness in it lol
  11. Racket

Racket New Member

I think it would be a great option to allows users to subscribe to thread tags.

Let me know what you think.

ForestForTrees, Alfa1 and TrixieTang like this.
  12. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

I would LOVE this ability. I think I will do myself (tag and sub system) since that I suppose we will not see it soon.

Howver @DEVS, do any kind of tag framework exist?
    Alfa1 likes this.
  13. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

This is a Fufu approved suggestion. :cool:

User tagging in posts, VMs, comments, pictures, shouts, or whatever?! :confused:
    ForestForTrees and Alfa1 like this.
  14. ---MAD---

---MAD--- Well-Known Member

Would be very useful, IMO, over here for the bug reporting forum as we cannot search by tags easily when manual tags are added as sometimes they are labelled using different words but mean the same thing.
    Alfa1 likes this.
  15. Sar

Sar Active Member

Like some of you, we neither saw usefullnes of it really.
  16. GodForum.com

GodForum.com Well-Known Member

I guess on it depends on how the tagging system is done ... what I would like to see for example is something similar to how YouTube works where you have

similar content to the right when you do a search ... this kind of feature imho would be extremely useful. This feature has helped YouTube become one of the top internet sites and will help many

forums become more useful. :)
    ForestForTrees and David Thomas like this.
  17. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I DO like using tags. And the spiders seem to love them too.
  18. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Well-Known Member

I know I wouldn't be able to trust a modification for something that I intend to make such a major part of my site. This is one of a few features that I really need, and without it built in there's really no chance of me converting my forum to XF.
  19. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

With the tags system in please, someone could make an autocompletion like google for the search as a modification.
    Alfa1 likes this.
  20. David Thomas

David Thomas Active Member

This would make tagging infinitely more useful.