Implemented Thread Tagging

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm curious.

Are you only learning this now?

There is a very good add-on which provides the functionality you need. It includes a vBulletin importer, I believe.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tinhte-xentag.770/
Its a great addon but its a weakness that xenforo doesn't have this built in. For example addon developers like yourself (understandably) will not rely on someone else's addon software. So we end up with fragmented, duplicated but differently implemented tag functionality for each addon and therefore less than optimal SEO and functionality.
I have a different tag system for blog, media, reviews, wiki, forum and will probably need to add 2 or 3 major addons with their own tags systems. Thats 5-8 different tagging systems. If xenforo implements this suggestion this will have great benefit to SEO and usability.

Like Super120 my site also attracts a very large number of Google influx. Only after preparing the migration it becomes clear that there is this issue of fragmented tagging functionality

I have a different tag system for blog, media, reviews, wiki, forum and will probably need to add 2 or 3 major addons with their own tags systems. Thats 5-8 different tagging systems. If xenforo implements this suggestion this will have great benefit to SEO and usability.
Would love love love to see this built into 2.0. Given how tagging touches all aspects of our sites, it would be great to see this added in version 2.0, when addons will need to be rewritten anyway.

I dunno why its not in core of forum softwares since its a really important feature but It would be great If added

And the thread was opened at 2010 and has about 90 likes. We're at 2014. with XenForo 1.4 .

Tagging feature is really helpful with my forum (don't know with others).

What we achieved after using tags..
Problems in searching for the same topic all over our forum especially the old threads, were solved.
Easier linking just by typing the keyword which save us more time to do other important work.

I really want this feature to be included in the next update.

I've only just discovered thread tags. Never use Twitter, so the whole concept of tagging in a forum is brand new to me. It's interesting how some people consider it essential.
To me I can see how it might be useful if the community adopt it and use it regularly. This means the communtiy have to undertake something new during their already deeply ingrained habitual routine, and I don't see this being a natural or easy progression.
We use tags in our editorial content and the system generates tag hubs, which I think is great for satisfying peoples' interests and for SEO. E.g. https://www.avforums.com/tag/4k
It will be interesting to see what develops here.

Last edited:
I also use the xentag add-on and my members like it very much. What is really missing is that you can`t use the tags as a filter in your search. So you can`t search for postings that contain a keyword and are tagged with xy. Should there ever be an official tagging system, I hope it`ll support both the normal and the enhanced search.

In some cases can be useful as an alternative/plus to the prefix system.

I also use the xentag add-on and my members like it very much. What is really missing is that you can`t use the tags as a filter in your search. So you can`t search for postings that contain a keyword and are tagged with xy. Should there ever be an official tagging system, I hope it`ll support both the normal and the enhanced search.

and how about a filter by tags (like clicking on prefix) but with the possibility to add/remove tags from the results to refine them? so you can filter threads/content tagged with 1 or more tags

and how about a filter by tags (like clicking on prefix) but with the possibility to add/remove tags from the results to refine them? so you can filter threads/content tagged with 1 or more tags
this sounds like a faceted search to me. And this is the way to go. Just like Amazon. Search for "radio" on amazon, select a category like portable radios from the left and then limit your search further by applying multiple filters. Very intuitive and fast.

Thread tagging / post tagging or bookmark (@Andy released a cool mod on bookmarking posts) is a must for forum, somethings you can't find what you need with search and tag takes you right to it.

Top Bottom