Implemented Thread Tagging

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Probably because tagging is one of those underated features and its something that truly needs some development dedicated to it.

I'm actually in the planning stages of working on a tag system, and it'll be much more robust than the competitors implementation (IPB/vBulletin), and perhaps even what Mike and Kier had in mind for it (y).

Any update on this? Sounds very interesting and a tagging system is severely needed in Xenforo.

Is tagging system needed? Our forum seems to be doing quite fine even without it. People never entered correct tags anyway.

I dont use them... I think they are pointless. But my community created a subset of "inside jokes" with peculiar tags.
For that maybe the Like Addon would work.
Say the joke was Troll posting.
Make a troll icon, and people could click it to vote it as a troll post.
Then you could list the "most troll vote" posts.

Thread tags are of major importance to my website. Virtually all my threads are tagged.
Its so essential that I do not want to rely upon a third party for the functionality.

Please add this to XenForo and add a way to import it from vbulletin.

When i used tags (long time ago) my search engine traffic was 150% higher. [and later] I can assure you with certainty that tags when correctly configured increases search engine traffic.
This is most definitely my experience, too. For me it comes from having two very similar sites, both UGC, one with tagging and one without. The site without tagging has far less PageRank, but does amazingly well in SERPs for terms that correspond to its tags. After tens of hours combing through my Google Analytics data, I am a very strong believer in the importance of tagging for information-rich forums. Tagging is mission critical for our forum as it is for Dinh Thanh's:
High bounce rate with tag page is not true on my site.
Without tag feature, I can not move to Xenforo now.

For those who would like to try tagging right now, I encourage you to try the tagging addon that @Dinh Thanh made:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tinhte-xentag.770/
It's a great product and currently the eleventh most highly downloaded addon on this site. Further, given it's popularity, if tagging is ever added to the core, there will be an importer available, so it is a great free way to get started today. I'd be willing to throw a couple hundred bucks into the development if no one else does, but I'm sure that others would as well. For information based sites like ours, tagging is too important not to do right.

While I have great respect and appreciation for Dinh Thanh's XenTag and am a proud holder of an unbranded license, I still strongly feel that the feature really should be added into the core. This will be allow it to be modified by other addons, which is crucial because tagging is so fundamental. For example, if tagging were in the core with a basic API, addon developers could make it easy to tag content created by addons, such as media files, wiki pages, social groups, marketplace items, or any other addon generated content on our sites.

For another example, Alfa1 has proposed the following be added to the XenTag addon:
I completely agree. XenTags should be expanded with functionality that makes tags much more functional for users and SEO. There is so much that can be done:
  1. Automatically remove single use tags more than 6 months old
  2. Tag synonym system (with voting)
  3. Tag wiki (for example by connecting Vaultwiki)
  4. Pluralized tags
  5. Trending tags
  6. Report bad tags (will be in the next release)
  7. Merge tags (automatically after users report bad tag)
  8. Post to tag
  9. Follow tag
  10. XenTags for popular addons (Better Blogs, VaultWiki and XenMediaGallery, Xenreviews, etc)
  11. Trophy: user has tagged X threads
  12. Sitemap submission for tag pages
I would really like these functions to be added to XenTags. @Dinh Thanh please let me know if you are interested in the above.
I could add another list of feature requests at least as long. However, from a development perspective, I don't think that we are going to have the freedom to add the features that we want unless it is in the core and we can write or commission our own addons.

As an example of this, AVForums recently moved to XenForo. It sounds like they probably invested "£ several tens of thousands of paid, professional coding time" into building a custom CMS and it looks truly fantastic.

What feature does Stuart Wright reference as a favorite? Take a look:
My favourite recently activated feature is tag hubs. Each item of editorial (whether it be a review, news or article) has certain tag words associated with it. Those are displayed top-left of the main image in the item. Each tag links through to its own 'hub' showing the content (reviews, news, articles) containing that tag. A hub is a page which displays editorial items laid out as pictorial blocks (although we are going to add more text oriented block types to give the page more variation). Hubs are generated automatically, with higher weighted items being given larger blocks, although the editors can manually arrange them.
E.g. The Netflix tag hub : http://www.avforums.com/tag/netflix
Instant, pretty 'home pages' for lots of tag key words containing relevant content. Lovely for SEO.
And since each tag is associated with a Xenforo node, the node colours are used in the titlebar. The Movies colour (for both editorial content and the forums) is red, for example.
Whereas the 4k hub (ultra HD format for TVs, projectors, cameras etc.) is blue because that is the home cinema colour. http://www.avforums.com/tag/4k
I love it because, you could say that the hubs 'organise' themselves.
Take a look at his example tag page:
http://www.avforums.com/tag/netflix
It's gorgeous!!! And not only is it terrific for SEO, it is terrific for user experience, being a great way to find the best content. No one will browse using the search box because the results are too overwhelming, but with something visually engaging like this, I can see it happening.

However, if we want gorgeous tag hubs like that, I think that we would need a whole addon to change the look and feel like that. That is why something as fundamental as tagging needs to be built into the core - so that people can extend it and integrate it with their other addons. Thus, while I highly recommend the existing addon, when it comes to integrating it into the core, I say, the sooner the better.

I could add another list of feature requests at least as long.
Bring it on! :)
I think we are going somewhere good with this.

However, if we want gorgeous tag hubs like that, I think that we would need a whole addon to change the look and feel like that. That is why something as fundamental as tagging needs to be built into the core
Could you explain why you would want such gorgeous looking tag pages? I understand that its super from an aesthetic point of view. But what SEO benefit does it give you? It will allow you to show less tags per page, not more and therefore exposes less content to SE.
The only benefit I can see is that people may be motivated to use tag pages more, therefore start tagging some more and you will have a lower bounce rate on tag pages. I'm not sure.
Please explain.

Could you explain why you would want such gorgeous looking tag pages? I understand that its super from an aesthetic point of view.
Oh, I was just trying to say that it would be good if tagging were built into the core because then it would be easier for everyone to get what they want by writing or commissioning their own addons. Tagging seems like a feature that is considered a crucial edge for some forums, so people might want to customize it extensively. When tagging functionality is only in an addon rather than in the core, it will be harder for us to customize tagging behavior to get exactly what we want.

I personally wouldn't want a tag page like AVForums' tag hubs, but I assume that it works great for AVForums. They seem like real pros and I bet they know their audience super well. Based on the post I linked to, it sounds like they made quite an investment, and I'm sure they did their research beforehand. As for myself, there is very little graphical content on my site, so I would probably want something simpler and more text-based, as befits my subject matter.

The great virtue of software packages like XenForo that run on a LAMP stack is that they are so very extensible. If we want a tagging system that will work both for people who like big, splashy pictures like AVForums has and also people who want text excerpts, like I would want, it would be much better to have tagging built into the core. Then the people who like pictures can have one addon to add pictures to their tag pages and the people who like text excerpts can have a different addon to add excerpts to their tag pages.

This is a must have for my vBulletin 3.8 import to continue. I have lots of tags.php?tag=content indexed and well ranked in search results. I can't lose these organic links. Without thread tagging functionality built-in and included in the importer I can't proceed with the migration to xenForo :(

Top Bottom