XF 1.1 Thread Prefixes

An eagerly-awaited feature for XenForo 1.1, here is a first look at the new thread prefixes system, with a special guest appearance!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hmm.

So will we be able to have mini-icons for thread prefixes somehow via the custom CSS option?

How would we go about prefix icon images? I have a particular site that needs them.

A while back when I was helping a gaming community we had a similar problem structuring our game discussion forums. The idea I came up with (but never implemented) was sort of a double prefix system where you could tie a primary set of prefixes to a secondary set. So for instance you could have "[[Windows] RTS] StarCraft II" and you could change Windows and RTS independently. So it would have been like using multiple prefixes, but there would be relationships between sets.

This would have the benefit of more specificity at a glance, prefixes wouldn't have to be exhaustively defined, and relationships could be set in place, for instance in a project management forum where "Fixed" wouldn't go well with "Feature Request" but it would with "Bug". Of course having never implemented this I couldn't tell you if it would have ever worked out or not. In some circumstances it makes sense, but in most others it would sort of defeat the premise of categories and forums.
I've implemented today the "mark thread solved" add-on, so even it's not possible to have 2 prefixes for 1 thread, i'll have what i want/need:D

fun.webp

Xenforo, please don't add a tag system next to the prefix system, too. If you want to add a tag system to xenforo, use the prefixes system. As an example:

• allow multiple prefixes per thread
  • allow users to create prefixes

With this, you have a tag system.

Xenforo, please don't add a tag system next to the prefix system, too. If you want to add a tag system to xenforo, use the prefixes system. As an example:

Tags and prefixes are two different concepts that serve different purposes. There's no reason you can't have both. For example, in Gmail you can label and star messages. While there is some overlap to the two systems, there's not reason they can't co-exist nicely. Same with tags and prefixes.

I understand that both can exist happily next to each other. There are even more categorization tools we can think of which can be used in addition to the current available ones. My feedback here is that I prefer simple powerful easy to manage solutions and dislike the coexistence of two features where one feature is most likely a subgroup of the other one. We both disagree here which is okay for me - that's why discussions are so fresh sometimes :)

That's why i hoped that we will be able to use more thread prefixes at once.

Then we could have "WIN 7" Prefix for the thread and once it's solved it would have "SOLVED" "WIN7".
So we would need to remove the existing WIN7 prefix and replace it with solved

Another way is to have the normal prefixes + create for every normal prefix a solved (for example:

win7 Problem
win7 Problem solved
win vista
win vista solved

but that's IMO to much copy & paste work + this would result in too many unnecessary prefixes:(

In my opinion, that is the right time to think about balancing load between Sub-Forum and Thread Prefixes. Keep the leaf bit for thread prefix and arrange rest of the stuff in sub-forums. I understand that this might not be the ideal solution for every situation. But, keeping thread prefix system simple will keep it lot cleaner. Specially, nested prefixes might become a nightmare when they decide how to handle interface for applying/changing prefixes. After all we have limited width/real-estate on our screens. :-)

God no.

Allowing a tag to be used as a prefix (As IPB has done) in a singular form works well, but having multiple prefixes would be a pain in the ass. How would you organize them properly? The issues that come up outweigh the benefit (Which isn't much, as a tag system should be a separate type of taxonomy).

I understand that both can exist happily next to each other. There are even more categorization tools we can think of which can be used in addition to the current available ones. My feedback here is that I prefer simple powerful easy to manage solutions and dislike the coexistence of two features where one feature is most likely a subgroup of the other one. We both disagree here which is okay for me - that's why discussions are so fresh sometimes :)

To me, tags aren't even remotely similar to prefixes. To me, tags are a way for me to save content in a way that I can easily find it again. Tags would not show up when viewing a forum as prefixes do. Instead, I'd go to my "Your tagged content" page and browse/search for the content items I had tagged. A secondary benefit of tags is there would also be an interface for me to browse/search what others have tagged as well.

Interesting. I'd much prefer to have one categorization utility that works out great. The most problematic issue here is that other users can "tag/prefix" existing content and this might not be reliable! So you need an intelligent integrated vote-system for this. This is where all available tag system royally suck as users can misuse them as they wish. Going through all existing threads and prefix them by the moderator team would be an immense task that is too much for big boards, too. Users should do this work, and users should do the controlling system themself.

Interesting. I'd much prefer to have one categorization utility that works out great. The most problematic issue here is that other users can "tag/prefix" existing content and this might not be reliable! So you need an intelligent integrated vote-system for this. This is where all available tag system royally suck as users can misuse them as they wish. Going through all existing threads and prefix them by the moderator team would be an immense task that is too much for big boards, too. Users should do this work, and users should do the controlling system themself.
In my opinion, you are mostly right. However, in an important forum of a website (say this one and the bug reports section), moderators should be "actively" patrolling anyways to make sure other users don't accept an invalid tag to begin with. Though I do agree that too many people use tags just because they can, or (in the case of a bug report section) think it fits - a lot of the time it doesn't.

Do not agree at all with this. I do like the idea of multiple prefixes, but for now one works. However tags are definitely a separate entity and should not be merged together into one. I do not want users having the power to adjust prefixes that I have preset. It will make the system overly complicated for no reason at all.

I look at prefixes as an admin-driven/user-supporting function. I see tags as merely a user-centric categorization or "advertising tool" depending on its use. People can add tags that do not necessarily relate to the topic they are posting. I do not want that to happen with prefixes.

why do you want to allow users to create prefixes? no thanks.
Users are allowed to create a "thread title" anyway.

Top Bottom