XF 1.1 Thread Prefixes

An eagerly-awaited feature for XenForo 1.1, here is a first look at the new thread prefixes system, with a special guest appearance!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I understand this and i'm also like the current implementation. My little suggestion is because i think if i can use multiple prefixes i can do several things like topics sorting, an archive system etc. etc.

I think that multiple prefixes are a bit of a misnomer. If we were to implement a way to add multiple categorisations for threads, it would be in the form of a tagging system rather than multiple prefixes, which I believe would involve an overly complex user interface.

I'm still disappointed(drama queen is always disappointed :( ) and can't understand what's so innovative like many posted here...

There were suggestions for multiple prefixes:(
It was also suggested that several users need to make prefixes as "must be set" on creating the thread, in the video i haven't seen a option for this:(
And the missing of prefix groups will result in an management horror:(

Another nice innovation feature would be phrases. But they are missing here (like in the notices..... )

So if i have 3 forums(because of different countries & languages) where people can sell/buy/exchange stuff, i'll need 9 prefixes.

WTS want to sell
WTB want to buy
WTE want to exchenge

kupujem
prodajem
razmjenjujem

купујем
продајем
размјењујем

and if i want to add them to the forums, i have to set each of them, instead defining a group "trading prefixes" and set the group to the forums

I think that multiple prefixes are a bit of a misnomer. If we were to implement a way to add multiple categorisations for threads, it would be in the form of a tagging system rather than multiple prefixes, which I believe would involve an overly complex user interface.
Yes of course in this case the xf categorization tool prefixes do not work as the old "vb prefixes", they work like tags.

My idea is to not have prefixes and tags together. Use one categorisation tool. This should be less complex than having multiple categorisation tools altogether. If the tagging system is too complex for now (xenforo is fresh and new and lots of cool - easy - stuff can be added here), just let it be the way it is now. The implementation here is great.

There were suggestions for multiple prefixes:(
Yes there were, but just because something is suggested, it does not mean that we agree with that suggestion. In this case, we do not.

It was also suggested that several users need to make prefixes as "must be set" on creating the thread, in the video i haven't seen a option for this:(
Doesn't mean that the feature is not there, or will never be added.

And the missing of prefix groups will result in an management horror:(
Management tools are easy to add after the initial feature deployment.

Another nice innovation feature would be phrases. But they are missing here (like in the notices..... )

So if i have 3 forums(because of different countries & languages) where people can sell/buy/exchange stuff, i'll need 9 prefixes.
No, prefixes are already fully integrated into the phrase system. You would require just three prefixes to achieve the example you gave.

Needs groups (categories) whatever you might call them; especially when using the search page.

I plan to add prefixes for at least three forums, and having them all grouped together in a single select list on the search form could lead to confusion.

Also, weighting (or ordering) groups too - so I can put the more popular "Rides" prefixes ahead/above the others on the search form.

I imagine for my own site prefix groups for "Rides", "Know How" (bike repairs and setup), and "Support and Feedback". I'm sure lots of people could be using many more groups for their own sites.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

No, prefixes are already fully integrated into the phrase system. You would require just three prefixes to achieve the example you gave.
istockphoto_5546272-single-emoticon-kiss.jpg

Now i'll shut up and get back to work

Instead of multiple prefixes, I would suggest Tagging system and yes Prefix Categories would be helpful to manage and organize a lot of prefixes.

when creating a new thread, the wording for the Prefix-Select-Dropdown is maybe a bit confusing.​

instead of the wording "(No prefix)" I would suggest this to re-name towards something which is easier to understand for the user, e.g.

"Select Prefix" or just "Select".

when creating a new thread, the wording for the Prefix-Select-Dropdown is maybe a bit confusing.​

instead of the wording "(No prefix)" I would suggest this to re-name towards something which is easier to understand for the user, e.g.

"Select Prefix" or just "Select".

Actually this could make it confusing as well. If you have it as either of these people will think its manditory

I love you XenForo.
Question: Is it possible to set up a default prefix for a certain forum ?
For Example: if you have a Help section, all new threads will be created with a prefix "Unresolved".

Not sure if this has been asked, but can we set a default prefix for all new threads in a particular forum? Would be awesome to do.

Just as an example. I have a forum called "applications" and when someone submits an application I would like it to have a prefix of "pending". Would be easier to set this as the default so that I don't need to set each to pending when created. Perhaps a mod could be easily written to do this, but I would like to see this small feature added to the core.

Top Bottom