Thinking of selling your vB license? Don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to participate in this, but I can't right now. I would rather leave my licenses dormant, yet listed on the vb link directory.. it isn't my fault if my link now points to an XF forum..

Nice thread. I wonder if there will be anymore people willing to do this. I wish I still had a license to do this.

Oh man. I know you love lawsuits and talking about lawsuits and fantasizing about filing lawsuits, but I don't.

Participating in a frivolous lawsuit against them would make me no better than them.

Don't derail this thread with your looney tunes vendetta. Go away. Go sue the paperboy for delivering 10 minutes late.

Laughed-Out-Loud in real life for a good 3 minutes.

Did you see the response from Steve? Could it be a auto-generated response

Sadly Steve and others are caught in the middle.. and in being there I think they handle these types of support tickets in a quick manner just because there really isn't anything they (the staff) could do.

I also want to say publicly that I applaud you guys for doing this.. It DOES mean something in this day and age of the internet to take a REAL stand for your principles. It's so easy to say one thing and really do another on the net as we don't know each other, but here are two example of people saying and following through.

Congrats here's to the up coming year for xF!

Jamie

As soon as my forums are transferred over, I'll be doing the same. No way am I letting them use my accounts in their list of current installations for marketing purposes. If we all did this, they'd quickly stop quoting the millions of VB powered sites they've got! (or however many it is) as it would be quickly shrinking!

Sadly Steve and others are caught in the middle.. and in being there I think they handle these types of support tickets in a quick manner just because there really isn't anything they (the staff) could do.

I also want to say publicly that I applaud you guys for doing this.. It DOES mean something in this day and age of the internet to take a REAL stand for your principles. It's so easy to say one thing and really do another on the net as we don't know each other, but here are two example of people saying and following through.

Congrats here's to the up coming year for xF!

Jamie

To be fair, I don't think the support staff are as innocent as they make out. Oh well, I'm sure somebody will be keeping (lord of the rings) watchful eye on this thread staffing at another forum. Sneaky, very sneaky indeed.

To be fair, I don't think the support staff are as innocent as they make out.
I think we can be pretty sure that they don't have a hand in any major decisions though. With that in mind, it's very difficult to have to support decisions or policies that you may not agree with, or that cause animosity among the customers that you have to work with.

I'm sure many of us have been in that position, I know that I have. I do not envy anyone over there. Bad vibes become pervasive very quickly, and all the cheerleading in the world can't make them go away.

Ill hopefully be "shelving" another vB license this week.. Just purchased my second XF license this AM.. They (IB) have already cost me enough money.. There is no way i could willingly flush another grand down the toilet.. So i wont be asking them to cancel my membership.. Plus i enjoy having the ability to speak my mind on the issues that directly effect me and my sites.. Although hopefully i wont have a need to do that in the future as ill only have one site left active on the vB4 platform, and i have every intention of moving that one away from vB ASAP to..

I do however commend everyone who has asked IB to close out their licenses.. You all have bigger Cans then i.. But if it helps i wont be selling them to the highest bidder either.. Call me a Cyber Hoarder..

To be fair, I don't think the support staff are as innocent as they make out.
Why not? Go work for a major consumer provider as support staff... ie. Electricity, phone, gas, water! Those support people cop crap all day long from people being over-charged, services not provided, cut-off, etc. Do they personally endorse what that company is doing? No... they get paid, that money pays their bills, so its just a job to them.

Statistics have proven that the majority of employee's don't enjoy what they do, but they do it because its money.

Why not? Go work for a major consumer provider as support staff... ie. Electricity, phone, gas, water! Those support people cop crap all day long from people being over-charged, services not provided, cut-off, etc. Do they personally endorse what that company is doing? No... they get paid, that money pays their bills, so its just a job to them.

Statistics have proven that the majority of employee's don't enjoy what they do, but they do it because its money.
Yup they got feed their kids /family :P

Sorry not trying to be rude here, but I find this whole cancel-my-license thingy stupid. The cat has been run over, shot and left for dead by a thug in Lamborghini with a trunk full of golden bricks. Do you really think Bob Brisco gives rat's ass about it now? Time to move on and quit being Don Quixote and Sancho Panza fighting wind mills. Time will sort things out.

Yup they got feed their kids /family :p
Think about it before cancelling your account. Whom are you really trying to hurt? The surviving cat?

Sorry not trying to be rude here, but I find this whole cancel-my-license thingy stupid. The cat has been run over, shot and left for dead by a thug in Lamborghini with a trunk full of golden bricks. Do you really think Bob Brisco gives rat's ass about it now? Time to move on and quit being Don Quixote and Sancho Panza fighting wind mills. Time will sort things out.

Think about it before cancelling your account.
I am not cancelling it on the moment :P I need another xenforo License so it will get me another xf license.

Personally I think instead of canceling you could let someone else use it. I mean there are people out there, that want a forum license and can't afford it.

This would be a PERFECT opportunity to help those people out. And maybe get a few back links too.

To me it's like if you have food that is going to go rotten in a few days. Then you decide to burn it instead of giving it to the little kid outside your house, who was hungry and could've eaten it.

But at the end of the day, it's the license holders decision on what they do.

I just find it to be a bit wasteful.

Though I do agree it sends a STRONG message to IB. But really, they won't care what you say. They got your $$ and that's all that matters to them sadly....

Personally I think instead of canceling you could let someone else use it. I mean there are people out there, that want a forum license and can't afford it.

While I understand your morale and point, I myself wouldn't give a vB license to anyone.. not because I am being mean, but if I am going to help someone out like a non-profit that can't afford a license, then I would buy them a xF license.

Using your example, in my opinion... the food (vB) is already spoiled, so why give that away?

Though I do agree it sends a STRONG message to IB. But really, they won't care what you say. They got your $$ and that's all that matters to them sadly....

They may not really care now, but do you think they will stop at vB 4.0? Don't you think they will want to sell all the license owners an 'upgrade' to vB 5.0 or some other features or apps?

With vB having +/- 130,000 licenses out there every one that is 'canceled' without the ability to renew or sell will hurt and will make they earn your business if they ever want it again..

To kyrgyz: You are correct time will and has already started sorting it out, but that shouldn't stop people from canceling their account.. no harm in helping sort it our faster.. :)

Jamie

I am a costumer at both XF and VB
xf is great and i love this community so much, but why would I choose to cancel my account in vb ? VB license is consider yours. You paid $$ to get one, and you deserve some money back.

Isnt it a complete waste of money? Dont throw that money away, you could sell the license and donate to charity, wasting hard earned money like that is stupid. Many people dont have money to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom