Thinking of selling your vB license? Don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally would rather leave my licenses inactive, and not pay them a penny more. Furthermore, this way they continue to incur costs associated with maintaining my license

I can easily admit I do not like IB, don't like them at all. For a long time I would go to bed angry at them and wake up angry at them. Not just because of the product but an attitude that I felt in all of this. I am more than upset about the lawsuit against xF then all the rest. A number of things make me angry.

I honestly do not know the best thing to do except for being ready to move when I can. I actually prefer bunnies, rainbows, and lollipops to being upset. Being angry just made has so far has only made me tired. I don't like being an angry person, I really really don't. One thing I like about this place it has been so positive and dulls the anger a bit. I am tired of being angry, I am tired and being upset, and I hope I can get this to pass and move on.

Right now my biggest hopes for this place is as quick of a victory for xF as is possible then to get moved. I am not going to forget what happened but I hope I can spend more time being positive.

*think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts* I will tell myself that over and over.

Now on what to do. I don't have a clue, maybe I will ask to have my license canceled as a symbolic jesture, maybe I will sell it, maybe just let it sit in the corner and collect dust. I am not smart enough to know the best thing to do. The thing that I do know is I am looking forward to the day my site is on XenForo and I don't want IB involved in XenForo. I want Kier and Mike at the helm of this software.

I am tired of being angry, I want some fluffy bunnies.

vBulletin, before being purchase by Internet Brands and being run into the ground (although you may see it differently; everyone has their own opinion), was used by many websites and many large companies used their software, as well as many 'big-boards' forums.
When you guys speak of companies "running down" the product, what exactly do you mean? I mean vBulletin was a quality product right before it was bought out by Internet Brands. Therefore, I found your comment "stupid." Because if you're saying that before the purchase by iB, vBulletin was suffering from quality, which I disagree with, and is something most people here would disagree with. And you're also basically saying xenForo, Ltd. is running down its product.

I would actually like to get a license from someone,just so I can see how bad it is compared to XF,as I have never used the admin Side of it.

I'll echo that Carlos, I loved vB 3.X.X and I had no problem with Jelsoft back when it was Jelsoft. IB screwed me over by selling me a blog that they knew was about to be obsolete -- that's why they lost my business. 4.0 could have been the most marvelous forum software in the history of the internet and I still wouldn't have bought it from them. I'd have gone back to using ezBoard before I ever gave them another dime.

Personally, I don't think any of it matters a jot to IB. To use a rather crude expression "You're pissing up a wall" trying to get them to pay any attention at all to your anger / resentment / desertion / whatever.

The only thing - and I mean the ONLY thing - that a money grabbing corporate entity like that will understand, is a kick in the balance sheet. Law suits ... pah ... lots of them already, lawyers on retainer, what's it matter if there is another - everyone's always suing them anyway.

Just don't spend any more money with them; instead invest your hard-earned in their competitor's products and services, such as IP.Board, xenForo, etc. Cancelling your licenses would only be a useful message to vBulletin/IB if thousands and thousands of you did it; what's one or two licenses amongst 130,000 or so?

I don't doubt your sincerity and understand you are motivated by principles, but you're dealing with a company that doesn't really have any principles and that simply doesn't care about you. If they did, they would have already addressed all the issues you had back when you used vB and were their customer!!!

You would be far better off simply walking away, forgetting about what has been done, and using your time to positively promote xF. More and more customers for xF (or other IB rivals) means less new customers for IB and less profit.

I would hazard a guess (and it's a completely wild one) that xF already has a few thousand ex-vB owners on its books, and that that number will grow during the next 12 months. 2011 should see a fantastic growth in the xF platform and feature-set. People will want to get on board once xF can directly compete with vB on a like-for-like feature/settings basis, and as things stand there's absolutely nothing to stop them getting there, the evidence is in the beta - beta for gawds sake - of where xF is heading!!!

I understand there is a lot of negative emotion involved and that many of you feel - well, royally screwed over I suppose. I also appreciate that IB have been complete ****s to the xF team, but all that negative energy, all those posts lambasting IB, all the David and Goliath stuff, should all be put to bed now and the focus should be on positively moving forward.

You're not going to get IB to give a toss, so stop running yourselves down, shed the weight of the negative thoughts, and move forward and promote xF where you get the chance.

vBulletin will be left in xF's dust and we, thankfully, are all on the right bus; we've got no worries!!! :)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Shaun,

I agree with parts of your post..

xF will have a wonderful year, this I am sure of! Kier and Mike have done an excellent job with this and one can only imagine what is in store for the coming year.

The bashing and negative posts here towards IB/vB is pointless.

The thing I disagree with you is the fact that it's best just to walk away.. Submitting these emails that Michael and Shelly did didn't take much time.. the language could have been cleaned up a little, but I don't think they took it 'too far' over board.. and it kills, stops dead in it's tracks a license that could be renewed or sold and like Michael has already pointed out, it removs that site and that license from the 'names and numbers' vB can use.

You are correct in that it would take many many many people doing this before they noticed, but the effectiveness of this isn't dependent on if they notice. Lost revenue no matter how small will affect them when they release vB 5.0 and there are less licenses to renew/pre sale etc..

I am sorry, but your watered down walk away method just isn't the way to do it in my opinion. Michael and Shelly have found a quick, easy, painless, non overbearing, great way to take a stand in what they believe in.

Consistently, you can hear the people with opinions but no balls... I am glad to see an opinion with the backing to actually follow through, for this I applaud Michael, Shelly and any others that want to step up and stand on their principals. There are SO MANY people on the web these days that are full of opinions and beliefs that it's actually refreshing to see someone actually follow through with them.

The internet has made us forget that principals matter. That doing something isn't always about ...'getting something back in return' sometimes it's just because it's the right thing to do.

Jamie

Even given the current state of the company, it's a fools move to simply throw away what could be an asset in future, even in protest, as IB wont give a **** about a group of less than 20 or so people (at the most) saying "boo hoo cancel my license", you think that's gonna put a dent in their company? Think again, they already got your money, and stop throwing temper tantrums and trying to take a morally high ground where there is none. You're on xenforo.com, not vBulletinSuckz.com

Even given the current state of the company, it's a fools move to simply throw away what could be an asset in future, even in protest, as IB wont give a **** about a group of less than 20 or so people (at the most) saying "boo hoo cancel my license", you think that's gonna put a dent in their company? Think again, they already got your money, and stop throwing temper tantrums and trying to take a morally high ground where there is none. You're on xenforo.com, not vBulletinSuckz.com

Nobody is taking a tantrum Mikey. Telling the good folks here what they can and cannot discuss isn't your right to say what they can discuss, that alone is their privilege if it remains within the guidelines. Not yours to say.

And it wasn't so long ago you and a few of your friends where doing exactly that on irc. Is it wrong? Of course not it's your privilege to air your frustrations, opinions etc and so forth. Much like it is here if it retains a dialogue that remains/conforms to the guidelines. ;)

Just saying.

Yours faithfully shelley. ;)

Ps. Heck, I have to like what you said. It made me chuckle.

Jamie,

I admire the principles of those who are cancelling their licenses and agree that it is refreshing to see people "taking a stand" - it's just the scale. It's too small; and really, a bit too late in the game.

xF is up and running, we're all excited about its future, and I just feel that focusing on the positives is probably a better use of people's time and energy.

Each to their own though ... it was only my 2p's worth ... :)

Heck, I'm one of those who chose to "shift" my investment by selling my vB4 suite license to fund my xF purchase. A good investment IMHO .... :D

I sold my license. To me yeah I hate what IB is doing etc. however I also know there are people who want vB. Instead of having people buy brand new licenses and giving them a new members I'd rather just xfer mine and deny them the ability to add another +1 to there subscription count.

When you guys speak of companies "running down" the product, what exactly do you mean? I mean vBulletin was a quality product right before it was bought out by Internet Brands. Therefore, I found your comment "stupid." Because if you're saying that before the purchase by iB, vBulletin was suffering from quality, which I disagree with, and is something most people here would disagree with. And you're also basically saying xenForo, Ltd. is running down its product.
You actually didn't call my post stupid.

By "running it down" I meant that sometimes large companies buy smaller companies as an investment and to better the product, make it richer, not in the monetary sense, but just better. And sometimes these large companies buy smaller companies and don't put a whole lot of effort into them and cut corners, which suffice to say happened with IB purchasing Jelsoft.

Before IB purchased Jelsoft, vB was terrific. Don't get me wrong here, I was a customer of Jelsoft's for a very long time before I switched over several years ago. I'm not sure what you read, but what you think I said is not what I said.

Edit: Yes, it seems you misread the post. I clearly said "Before being purchased by IB and run into the ground", which would mean it was the exact opposite of being rundown prior the purchase. Again, I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as it being rundown prior and after it was purchased. o.O

I would hazard a guess (and it's a completely wild one) that xF already has a few thousand ex-vB owners on its books, and that that number will grow during the next 12 months. 2011 should see a fantastic growth in the xF platform and feature-set. People will want to get on board once xF can directly compete with vB on a like-for-like feature/settings basis, and as things stand there's absolutely nothing to stop them getting there, the evidence is in the beta - beta for gawds sake - of where xF is heading!!!
I don't doubt this for a second. Kier, Mike, and Ashley are committed to delivering the best product available. They're all passionate about what they're doing, and as they say, passion is the driving force behind quality.

Once XF goes Gold and this silly lawsuit is thrown out, XF should see some very large growth in 2011.

I received an email from our friends at vBulletin asking me to complete a survey on my recent "support experience." I guess they send those out randomly, eh?

I received an email from our friends at vBulletin asking me to complete a survey on my recent "support experience." I guess they send those out randomly, eh?

LOL.... Point less.. they KNOW what the problem is so why ask.

*sigh

Support experience as in the last support ticket.
It looks like Steve handled it just fine. It's not like he is responsible for IB's actions. He has a family and needs to make a living like everyone else.
In fact, I'd like to see him eventually work here. He's the only support person IB has who is mature enough for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom