1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of selling your vB license? Don't.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mjp, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

I went looking for the old Thinking of selling your vB license? Don't. thread, but it derailed to an ugly, chaotic close. Since I can't post this in there, I'll post it here.

I sent vB this request to cancel my license:

I would like to cancel my vBulletin license in protest of the actions of vBulletin's parent company. Specifically the filing of harassment lawsuits against competitors.

Customer Number: 916887415241

I do not want a refund, I do not want anything from you but to nullify this license.

Please do it as soon as possible, so I can get the cowardly stink of vBulletin off my hands.

Nothing personal, whoever is reading this. It's not your fault. You just happen to work for as*holes.

Your pal,

Michael Phillips

I received a response warning me that any cancellation would be permanent, so I replied:

Hello Steve,

Yes sir, cancel permanently.

And if you have occasion to sit in a meeting with anyone who has any juice over there, be sure to tell them why. Tell them at least one long-standing, previously enthusiastic customer finds what they are doing reprehensible.

About an hour and a half later I received a response saying they had canceled it. So that's over and done.
  2. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

3. Shelley

Let's see how long it takes for them to get to mine. :)
  4. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

Great work, but Brisco has done a lot of underhanded stuff, like cooking the books to fool public investors in Internet Brands stock, cutting a deal to take the stock off the market just as it was crashing to nothing, not paying webmasters he purchased websites from who are now suing him in Federal court (see thread in my signature for details), all this makes what he did to vBulletin, vB forum owners and Kier and company look like small potatoes and just another day at the office for Mr. Brisco.
    Aarmin and leftie like this.
  5. leftie

leftie Active Member

Fool:) should of asked for a refund payable to XF.
    Jethro and Peggy like this.
  6. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

heheh that woulda been a kicker.
  7. Sir nick

Sir nick Well-Known Member

Some one has balls :p
  8. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

Saying, "Kill it, and I don't want a refund," makes a point. Asking for a refund would kind of negate that point.
    AlexandrosD, Kier and Shelley like this.
  9. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

ahem... I would assume so... unless of course...
  10. AnthonyCea

If it was an old legacy license you also killed your right to join any future lawsuits with the cancellation.
  11. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

Oh man. I know you love lawsuits and talking about lawsuits and fantasizing about filing lawsuits, but I don't.

Participating in a frivolous lawsuit against them would make me no better than them.

Don't derail this thread with your looney tunes vendetta. Go away. Go sue the paperboy for delivering 10 minutes late.
    Mikey, John and OSS 117 like this.
  12. AnthonyCea

Stop it Michael, you know one day action will be filed.
  13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

So this is basically a rant against another company thread?

Personally I am focused on the future, and for my forum, xf is the future.
    Marc and Anthony Parsons like this.
  14. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

No, it's a thread about making a point, taking a stand and having some principles in a world that thinks principles are nothing more than cute relics of a bygone age.

I can't help it if other jackasses pollute it.
    Mikey, EQnoble, Steve F and 3 others like this.
  15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I can, but my preferred approach is to do nothing at all.

If people don't get too 'excited' then fine, but I've got other things to do than to baby sit a thread like this at the moment, and I am the only one around.

I would still prefer to concentrate on the future though, and that would be xf.
  16. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

k, thanks for stopping by :)
    Dean likes this.
  17. leftie

leftie Active Member

Now that you have bought it up, can you point me to the thread.
  18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I was referring to this particular thread, not another thread.
  19. Shelley

Feeling fresher already.

Removed Screenshot by shelley. It'll be re-posted on twitter.
    John, Nasr, Jamie and 6 others like this.
  20. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I'm liking this thread. :) Good stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.