Thinking of closing my forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
<body><p>If you still enjoy it, keep doing it. This too shall pass. If you don't - and by that I don't mean today, or even tomorrow but a true discernment, then stop.'<p><br><p>Life is far too short to be unhappy. Each day is a gift. It is wasteful to squander today in unhappiness is hopes for a happier tomorrow, because tomorrow is not guaranteed us.<p><br><p>One other observation. People talk about spending money wisely rather than hoarding it, because we can't take it with us. There is truth in that. Why then to we hoard other things, like anger. These too much be left behind. Better to do so now.<p><br><p>Good luck my young friend. Let go of the anger and just follow your passion.
I dont know the full case, and don't bother looking into it tbh :D ... but, as an admin to a forum with a lot of different members, you really can't satisfied them all. There WILL be heat and you WILL be in the middle of it. We had it happened too on both forums and it is unfortunate of course, but you need to set up rules and you need to follow up on them. If you really believe in the forum and what you stand for you take it like a man. Learn from it, and move on. If you feel it's unjustified, why should one rotten apple be the reason for your forum to shut down? If they keep on and you asked them to stop, ban the f**ks. Oh almost forgot .. do NOT keep discussing with people. You're the admin, your last word is law, simple as that (of course you need to be reasonable ;) )

Again, I dont' know anything about this particially case, just saying ...
Thanks for the kind advice you both :)

Kaiser without getting the full story I would sugest that you do not let it affect your wellbeing, If it gets to the point that your wellbeing is tacking too much of a battering then maybe it is time to step back a little. I saw a few of the twits that were twittering and I was not surprised with who they were, I really hope that it all works out for you as I am sure it will.

Kaiser, one thing you're going to have to learn about running a forum is that there will always be people out there wanting to take you down. I don't know the ins and outs of what's happened, although I did note the comments about many threads being closed - that isn't going to help you. Wherever possible, don't close threads, especially ones giving feedback (good or bad) about your forum. Instead engage the person posting, find out why they don't like something. By discussing it, you show that you have a genuine interest in what your members think - doesn't mean you have to change things, but it goes a long way just to acknowledge their dislike about something.

At the end of the day, no one can make a decision whether to close your site or not for you - what you need to think about is how much it means to you. If you are passionate about your site, then fight for it and make it work :)

Kaiser without getting the full story I would sugest that you do not let it affect your wellbeing, If it gets to the point that your wellbeing is tacking too much of a battering then maybe it is time to step back a little. I saw a few of the twits that were twittering and I was not surprised with who they were, I really hope that it all works out for you as I am sure it will.

Thanks, I hope so too. The sad part is that they tell me to get over it and toughen up and stuff, and the things they said werent things too get over. its sad they dont realise what they said. I have tweets from about atleast 5 people going back and forth mentioning my forum and poking fun at me. I would at least expect one of them to understand as a full grown women and a mother.. instead of just telling me to toughen up.

Im kind enough and mature enough to not even mention who they are or attack them for saying those hideous things about me and my forum. I felt sad and depressed thats why I felt like sharing this. "F**k the, oh you are 16 and you need to stop getting butt hurt and toughen up" It really amazes me at times what some people say to others knowing they are going through a bad day. If I was immature I wouldnt be having a site 10x better than theirs, Yea I did close some threads but go ask my members there how they feel about me, as they always come back and enjoy posting. Aren't they the immature ones for poking fun at me on a place like twitter? Could you even blame me if I banned the person who started the tweets? Well im kind enough not to. So you can say im the mature one here. Age is not a factor here. Calling me a bad admin wont get them anywhere as it truly hasn't, as my site has a great member base and their forums barely have anything. Obviously I know how to run a site, only 4 months and look at how big adminbb has gotten. If I was "inexperienced" or "immature" that wouldnt happen. I invite everyone of you guys to check the content over at AdminBB. Its a great forum.. it really is.
Kaiser, one thing you're going to have to learn about running a forum is that there will always be people out there wanting to take you down. I don't know the ins and outs of what's happened, although I did note the comments about many threads being closed - that isn't going to help you. Wherever possible, don't close threads, especially ones giving feedback (good or bad) about your forum. Instead engage the person posting, find out why they don't like something. By discussing it, you show that you have a genuine interest in what your members think - doesn't mean you have to change things, but it goes a long way just to acknowledge their dislike about something.

At the end of the day, no one can make a decision whether to close your site or not for you - what you need to think about is how much it means to you. If you are passionate about your site, then fight for it and make it

:)

Thanks for your kind words, I am very passionate:)

Well geeze, reading this thread one has to wonder if it about Kaisers' forum or about Carlos.

As the saying goes, Kaiser, where there's smoke there's fire. Yes you're being criticized. So suck it up, and learn from it.
Is the criticism meant to be constructive? No? Then make it constructive. Look at what's being said, look at your forum, with an honest open eye, and see if there's a reason for the criticism.

Then do something about it. Correct the mistakes.

I have to tell you, when you issued the invitation on John's site to join, I went and took a look.
I have never seen so many closed threads on this small of a site. Thats why I didn't join.

Well Admin site should maintain their site Professionally . He kept on changing his skins frequently ofcourse one will get pissed off the way he runs his site . He needs to maintain Professional level . Everytime i decided to join his site his skins were changed which is not good thing to do .

Kaiser Age doesn't matter but to run Admin sites you need to take others suggestions seriously accept the mistake . If you go head to head seriously you will end up no where cause there will be lot of people who will criticize your work . If you give up now you will do same thing in future instead of that try to workout with everyone and make your community better.

Well Admin site should maintain their site Professionally . He kept on changing his skins frequently ofcourse one will get pissed off the way he runs his site . He needs to maintain Professional level . Everytime i decided to join his site his skins were changed which is not good thing to do .

Kaiser Age doesn't matter but to run Admin sites you need to take others suggestions seriously accept the mistake . If you go head to head seriously you will end up no where cause there will be lot of people who will criticize your work . If you give up now you will do same thing in future instead of that try to workout with everyone and make your community better.
When did I not accept the mistake, I did say that I did lock those threads. They weren't "suggesting" anything... they were discriminating me and the forum.. it wasnt constructive feedback.. it was discrimination. The reason for me changing the theme was because some members didnt like the previous one I had, and then when I changed to PeachyKeen most liked it and some didnt. IM only human and I cant make everyone happy you know.

A lesson all admins and moderators learn very quickly.

No doubt I have annoyed more than a few people on here but if doing my job to the best of my ability annoys some people, then I can't do much about that.
I know, its very frustrating when you are actually trying your best when only you can do so much.

As others have already said, listen to the feedback and criticism, constructive or otherwise, and use it to improve your site and how you manage it.

Over time you will reach a balance which you and your members are comfortable with.

I know, its very frustrating when you are actually trying your best when only you can do so much.

Remember it's Admin Community site you are running there & it's tough competation to gain others full trust over you :P Most of them are Admins from other communities who are trying to help you out there too so would be best take things slowly one by one you will make it up there in no time . Well you can't please everyone but atleast don't give them place to comment over you.

here is what i can say. i run a forum based on broadband in india. i have been promoting this upcoming service provider through the forum with no financial incentive.

people have called me a lot of things for supporting a company that has still not launched after 2 years but i have learnt to ignore all the criticism because it is all about faith.

as they say... haters gonna hate. you cannot change other people. and you cannot help others saying crap about you. what you can do is to learn to ignore what you know is not right.

Carlos .......
whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Sorry for the off topic post but I found this too funny :D

@Kaiser, that sucks, but that is no reason to close your community. Remember there will always be jealous people in the world who, just because they can not have the same level of success because they themselves fail as admins will try to ruin what everyone else has going for them.

@Kaiser, that sucks, but that is no reason to close your community. Remember there will always be jealous people in the world who, just because they can not have the same level of success because they themselves fail as admins will try to ruin what everyone else has going for them.
Thanks legacy for the kind words.:)

The getting off topic here on XenForo is the most frustrating ever, there can never be a serious discussion can there?

You should loosen up a little pal. My remark above wasn't meant at you :)

Anyway, from what I read at the tweets and here at this thread, I think you had it coming a little. You should try to be a little more relaxed and a little less uptight with your members at your forum. And not be like a dictator, closing every thread that you do not agree with. How is that for being on topic ;)

As others have said, you can't please everyone all the time. No matter what you do, what threads you lock or don't lock, you'll always gets someone annoyed and those who are vocal will call you all sorts of names. My forum has been up 10 years this November and I've always had to put up with people who don't like me or like the forum (despite them continuing to use it!) and bad mouth me on other sites.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me what they said - it does, certainly some more than others. You have the jealous people trying to really cause trouble for no reason (in my case with the taxman!) and others who just snipe you from the safety of their keyboard. Its sadly a fact of life and the larger the forum gets the worse it gets.

However, the up-sides of running a forum always out weigh these negatives, otherwise you'd have to be a bit of a sadomachaist to run a forum!

But its naive to expect that you will never have any detractors and can keep everyone will be happy. Its a fact of human nature unfortunately that nomatter what you do or try, someone will take the hump and some will post bullcrap about you or the site at some point.

As others have said, you need a thick skin to be a forum admin. If you don't have one, you certainly soon learn to grow one.

I thought the concept of having online forums and such was to attract memberships, and finding ways of getting more member participation in what your site has to offer. Moderation of forums regularly and appropriate action to keep things in order goes a long way rather than shutting down popular areas. peace.

Policy statement for all to review goes a long way too. If you close your forum,then they have won... When this stuff is really getting to you... turn off the computer and walk away. It will always be there when you come back..sheesh!

I am VERY thick skinned... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom