• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Thinking of Extending my License past 1.5.8, but XF2 is holding me back.

#1
From what I can gather XF2 should be out sometime this year, and this is a complete overhaul. We recently re-opened our XF forum and our license expired pre-1.5.9 which has me considering upgrading but I'm not really sure if it's worth it because I'm assuming the XF2 upgrade will be full cost, so another $200 or so.


I'm a fullstack developer and I'm looking to create add-ons, which is a big reason I'm considering upgrading as well.

Thanks, here's my questions if anyone has any answers.

  1. Is XF2 going to be full-price regardless of an existing XF1 license (any discounts?).
  2. Was there any significant changes to consider re-purchasing the license to access post-1.5.8 updates?
  3. Was there any significant changes for add-on development post-1.5.8?
  4. Is a 2017 release realistic for XF2, or are we potentially going to see a 2018 release?
  5. How do we get access to the XF2 developer version? It's not located in my download section as stated in the documentation, so do I need an existing license for this?
 

jmurrayhead

Well-known member
#2
I'm pretty sure XF staff have mentioned that if you have an active license, there will be no additional cost to upgrade to 2.0.
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#3
Correct.

Active license holders will be able to download XF2 in the same way they do for XF1 now.

Inactive licenses will just require the standard $40 renewal to access XF2.
 

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
#4
Was there any significant changes to consider re-purchasing the license to access post-1.5.8 updates?
Check the Announcements forum for the releases since 1.5.8 for details. Mostly bug fixes:
https://xenforo.com/community/forums/announcements/

Was there any significant changes for add-on development post-1.5.8?
We tend to avoid big changes and API changes in third point releases. XF 2.0 has significant changes and improvements here.

Is a 2017 release realistic for XF2, or are we potentially going to see a 2018 release?
2017 is realistic, but there is still a long process (beta, then RC, then stable).

How do we get access to the XF2 developer version? It's not located in my download section as stated in the documentation, so do I need an existing license for this?
You will need to renew your license to get access to the Preview releases. We began to release them early this year.
 
#5
Thanks everyone! I understand it's a long process and appreciate the responses, I'm glad to hear it's included in the license. I'll definitely renew it.

Correct.

Active license holders will be able to download XF2 in the same way they do for XF1 now.

Inactive licenses will just require the standard $40 renewal to access XF2.
In my control panel it's $50, am I missing something? I'd obviously rather pay $40, instead of $50 and I'd probably honestly renew it sooner at that price.