They've arrived :)

You missed my question about whether you'll be doing a website Slavik, with further info, service levels etc (ie. phone support? SLA? Terms? A bit about your company?), or do you already have one? I guess you almost certainly will be, just wondering about an ETA for this. Obviously as a business myself I'd want to host with another business that has this kind of framework (and not just host with "some bloke on a forum").

You missed my question about whether you'll be doing a website Slavik, with further info, service levels etc (ie. phone support? SLA? Terms? A bit about your company?), or do you already have one? I guess you almost certainly will be, just wondering about an ETA for this. Obviously as a business myself I'd want to host with another business that has this kind of framework (and not just host with "some bloke on a forum").

I already have one, but due to the difference in audience, using it for this would probably not be appropriate. I would probably put something together as a basic info point, but don't realy want to use it to sell my products, each setup I sell will be custom tailored and configured to the customer and their requirements, so a lot of personal 1 on 1 time via chats and PM.

However, I can give a bit of info what would most likely be included.

Terms will basically "be sensible" no illegal stuff, no questionable activities (spam etc).

SLA wise, probably 100% SLA on hardware and 99% on connectivity, with proportional discounts on the next months hosting if any downtime were to occur.

Phone support would most like be done as per my existing contracts, basically, a paid service if you want to ring me (before I introduced this, the moment I turned my phone on at 9am until turning it off at 5pm I would be on it none stop, companies realy like to abuse free calls to support). However I do give customers my personal Skype, which is tied to both my personal and business phone, so messaging me on there will most often get a quick reply. As will dropping a PM here on XF which gets routed through to my phones also.

Yup, though SSD's can be added on request with a couple of days lead time, either as a one off cost or a monthly extra.
I'd be more worried about the software raid 1 than the SSD's. We had around 40 servers, half of which were on Software RAID 1. About 14 of them failed within the first year, and the Software RAID 1 was useless. We've used hardware since then and had no problems. For a premium service though, hardware raid 1 is a must, no question about it. If you do recover from a software raid fault, its a several hour recovery job, vs hardware which is half an hours tops.

hardware raid 1 is a must.

Also available as an optional extra. However i'm sure your also aware that a low end hardware raid can be worse than no RAID at all. Adding a quality hardware raid controller to each server would probably of added ~£20 ($30) per month as a base cost.

Incidentally, I could for this price have offered a server with something like 3.3ghz quad core, 48gb ram, hardware raid 10 with 64gb SSD's... but yea... you know what kinda quality hardware would be included at that price....

Intel Quad Core 2.5Ghz
8 GB RAM
2x 160Gb HDD in software RAID1
Centos 6.4 64 Bit
100Mbit Uplink
10TB Data Transfer Each Month
Base Price £70 ($105) Per Month.
I've seen more affordable by some well known companies. But I've also seen more costly ones as well.

This places you smack in the middle. So competitive I guess.

I've seen more affordable by some well known companies. But I've also seen more costly ones as well.

This places you smack in the middle. So competitive I guess.

Its been a tricky price point to reach.

Any cheaper, and the hardware and connectivity would be junk.

More expensive, and then you start getting into silly money.

However, it seems to be a good point because everyone around here basically compares to Nimbus, and, I can pretty much beat all of their offerings in price and spec, as well as it being dedicated hardware opposed to VPS.

I will be setting up VPS and shared offerings in the future aswell, but again, no rushing, making sure that everything is done right the first time, but initial pricing looks like I can beat all the offerings going aswell.

Currently looking at purchasing a 128Gb 16 Core server to start off the first VPS's.

Are these dedicated servers or shared hosting?
I assume if dedicated we could host various sites so long as its killing the box?

As part of the "management" do you set up things like elastic search, etc?

Are these dedicated servers or shared hosting?
I assume if dedicated we could host various sites so long as its killing the box?

As part of the "management" do you set up things like elastic search, etc?

So long as its killing the box? I think you miss typed something there :)

Yes, fully dedicated servers. Shared and VPS hosting still in planning.

And yes, management will involve talking with you to find the right solution for you, prepping, commissioning and configuring the server to the requirements discussed, if you need ES, no problem, and once up and running, maintaining the servers and updates for you, so you can just focus on running your site :)

I'm currently chatting away to 3 people about their requirements... hopefully, when they're all set up they'll have some glistening reviews :D

and would there be an option for no management? I'm really tempted, and the last time I used support from my hosting provider in the last 4 years was to get them to provision a new VPS with 64bit OS rather than the 32bit OS I signed up with.

and would there be an option for no management? I'm really tempted, and the last time I used support from my hosting provider in the last 4 years was to get them to provision a new VPS with 64bit OS rather than the 32bit OS I signed up with.

If you want to manage things yourself, thats fine also.

Cool, I'll wait to see what some of the sites are like when they are up and running on your servers, as I've been very happy with my current provider for 4 years, and while I'm tempted, I need to weigh up the pros/cons. (y)

Cool, I'll wait to see what some of the sites are like when they are up and running on your servers, as I've been very happy with my current provider for 4 years, and while I'm tempted, I need to weigh up the pros/cons. (y)

If your happy with your current provider why switch? Granted, I would love to have you as a customer, but if you've got a good thing going, why not just stay there :)

That's a good point. I'd like to have the OS reloaded with CentOS 6.4, as I'm currently on 5.9, and it's dedicated HW rather than a VPS, but other than that, there isn't really any other reason. When I need to upgrade the VPS plan again for more disk space, it will probably be financially more viable to go dedicated, as it's a large jump up from the current plan I'm on to the next.

LinuxVM-4GB 4GB 60 GB 2000 GB £50 pm +VAT
LinuxVM-8GB 8GB 120 GB 4000 GB £90 pm +VAT

That's a good point. I'd like to have the OS reloaded with CentOS 6.4, as I'm currently on 5.9, and it's dedicated HW rather than a VPS, but other than that, there isn't really any other reason. When I need to upgrade the VPS plan again for more disk space, it will probably be financially more viable to go dedicated, as it's a large jump up from the current plan I'm on to the next.

LinuxVM-4GB 4GB 60 GB 2000 GB £50 pm +VAT
LinuxVM-8GB 8GB 120 GB 4000 GB £90 pm +VAT

Ah I see yes.

Thats another reason I can keep my costs somewhat lower, as a new company setup, it means I can avoid having to charge VAT to the end customer, and even if you took upgrades such as upgrading to a more powerful cpu and including WHM + cpanel, it would probably still rock in just a smidge over £90, but with no VAT to pay :)

Also, by that time we may have our own VPS setups rolling, which, may work out very good value also.

I'd be more worried about the software raid 1 than the SSD's. We had around 40 servers, half of which were on Software RAID 1. About 14 of them failed within the first year, and the Software RAID 1 was useless. We've used hardware since then and had no problems. For a premium service though, hardware raid 1 is a must, no question about it. If you do recover from a software raid fault, its a several hour recovery job, vs hardware which is half an hours tops.

No truth at all to this, linux software raid is far better in all aspects

Top Bottom