They've arrived :)

Slavik, curious, are you loading CentOS on these, shutting them down, then transporting them to a rack somewhere? Sorry if I missed this. Sounds like a lot of work

This year alone I've had to return about 8 servers after discovering moisture on the metal of the server frame and casing,

Lovely to see all those servers, I have about 22U with Level3, Cogent and LiNX direct peering going to waste. Argh!

From the UK huh what ISP are you planing on running all them on for hosting? Also have you seen the price of electricity over here! X_X

what ISP are you planing on running all them on for hosting?
You don't... you pay to have them colocated into an existing backbone server farm. They have the contract to supply the Internet... you pay them to colocate your hardware and use x backbone.

I don't think most could afford a direct connection, as last time I looked it was something around $20 - $30k a month for a 1000Mbps connection.

Lovely to see all those servers, I have about 22U with Level3, Cogent and LiNX direct peering going to waste. Argh!

Are Cogent ok now? When I used them we ended up having a weird performance issue with packets taking awkward routes before arriving at their destination. I've always stuck to Level 3 in the smaller DC / C4L.

Maidenhead or Nottingham.

Probably nottingham as its an easier drive.
Where abouts are you located? Can highly recommend Centro in Hemel Hempstead - UKDedicated do colo there IIRC. Stay away from Rapidswitch, Bluesquare and anyone associated with the IOMart group and the UK2 group.

Base spec machines all done! Ready to go.

done.webp

Base spec machines all done! Ready to go.

View attachment 45167
I LOL'd when I saw this picture. :ROFLMAO:

Of course the "inside joke" to that is ..... I knew someone who said they were going to be doing hosting inside their home. They had everything setup and still were stupid enough to try to run a stack of servers off their floor (no space below it and on a carpet).

Didn't last to long. :X3:

You don't... you pay to have them colocated into an existing backbone server farm. They have the contract to supply the Internet... you pay them to colocate your hardware and use x backbone.

I don't think most could afford a direct connection, as last time I looked it was something around $20 - $30k a month for a 1000Mbps connection.
Totally wrong here in the UK. If you can get your kit hosted at a POP that LINX are at then you can get a 1gig port for around £1400 per year (£850 install charge). Nearly all of the UK traffic passes through LINX so it pays to be a member :)

If you can get your kit hosted at a POP that LINX are at then you can get a 1gig port for around £1400 per year (£850 install charge).
Aren't you now talking about collocated though Deebs? Yes, collocation is cheap in most countries versus hiring a server.

I was referring to having your own server hosting, for example, setting up your own hosting solution from home or your business. That was the comment made above in which I referred.

Here, to get a 1Gb server quality connection at your business, or home office, would be 20k plus, minimum. If you collocate, then maybe a $150+ a month for the housing and connection.

I know you mentioned a rough price earlier in the thread Slavik, any ETA yet on a final price? Are you intending to put up a website for your services to clarify what you're offering in terms of service, features and management? :)

I know you mentioned a rough price earlier in the thread Slavik, any ETA yet on a final price? Are you intending to put up a website for your services to clarify what you're offering in terms of service, features and management? :)

Intel Quad Core 2.5Ghz
8 GB RAM
2x 160Gb HDD in software RAID1
Centos 6.4 64 Bit
100Mbit Uplink
10TB Data Transfer Each Month
Base Price £70 ($105) Per Month.

So an update.

Initial specs are looking about, on dedicated hardware, colocated in either Nottingham or Maidenhead UK (will be visiting the datacenters in the next week or so).

Dual Quad Core 2.2ghz
8GB ECC RAM
120Gb HDD
100Mbit Connection (dual gigabit NICS on the server)
3Tb Bandwidth each month.
Single Dedicated IP per server.

For about

£65 (no panels required) - £80 (with plesk or cpanel) per month. (though this may be a smidge higher dependent on final installation costs)

Hopefully will have 40 servers delivered to my house next week :)
Looks like this is the most up-to-date pricing estimation. Maybe not... :eek:

Top Bottom