The obligatory "Go XenForo!" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just point out the massive inconsistency in moderating this community... yet again.

Last week I started a thread wishing the Xenforo team good luck in the latest round of settlement hearings... it was closed without reason or notification.

Hours later another identical thread was started by Morgain, it was allowed open for a lot longer before being closed.

This identical thread has also derailed, is talking about opposition products (which I thought was not allowed) and has gone on for days and pages, and is still open, with staff even posting in it.

Get some Freakin Consistency Xenforo Staff!!! Sheez it is bludy annoying!!!

Are we allowed to post new "lawsuit" threads or not?

Are we allowed to talk about/bash opposition product?

And what does moaning about it (yet again?) achieve, apart from to perpetuate more moaning? :cautious:

Perhaps by pointing out the shortcomings of recent staff inconsistencies, it might make the staff realise they have let their standards slip, quite a lot, and take matters back in hand and start enforcing the rules consistently in a professional and mature manner as was done previously.

But perhaps it will just trigger a defensive reactionary "jump down the throat" of one pointing it out instead.

Can I just point out the massive inconsistency in moderating this community... yet again.

Last week I started a thread wishing the Xenforo team good luck in the latest round of settlement hearings... it was closed without reason or notification.

Hours later another identical thread was started by Morgain, it was allowed open for a lot longer before being closed.

This identical thread has also derailed, is talking about opposition products (which I thought was not allowed) and has gone on for days and pages, and is still open, with staff even posting in it.

Get some Freakin Consistency Xenforo Staff!!! Sheez it is bludy annoying!!!

Are we allowed to post new "lawsuit" threads or not?

Are we allowed to talk about/bash opposition product?
I can't quite find the Morgain thread you're referring to, but, just as an observation, they only seem to close those threads <whispers>when someone mentions something about threads being closed</whispers>. Maybe we should stop mentioning it. :cautious:

I can't quite find the Morgain thread you're referring to, but, just as an observation, they only seem to close those threads <whispers>when someone mentions something about threads being closed</whispers>. Maybe we should stop mentioning it. :cautious:

They merged it with my thread after closing it.

I don't care if they close this one, it is just as "productive" as the others they HAVE closed.

What I am asking for is some consistency and professionalism. If we allow free for all bashing of competitors, then hell fires let's all go to freakin town in a big old BASH fest, if they allow talk of the Law suit, and wild speculation, then ALLOW it.

Just apply the rules evenly is what I am asking for.

I dont think it was bashing the opposition. XF was v strict about banning that in year 1 but not so much now.
Your thread got unlucky with one of those doom gloom posts based on nothing. It was after that your thread was closed. Could've been my thread as well if it got one of those posts.

I do think this is unfair and particularly in this case. Kim started a lovely thread. She and the rest on it should not suffer because a klutz post spoiled it. That post could've been edited or deleted. Those who do those kind of disapproved posts could be moderated.
Not the best approach to hit on people who have done nothing wrong because someone else has.

At the same time I very much appreciate the tiring, often boring moderation work done here. Generally it's thoughtful at a high standard. Just this one point I do not support.

And just to add, if you think about it, you never know when your thread was locked if after posts were deleted. You never know if one mod took a different approach to it and was the only one online that hour. You never know when and if a thread got noticed. And you never know what the process is before closing a thread, who has to be consulted and how that's going to differ depending on the availability of him/them. You never know a lot of things when you're not on the back end. And there's no reason you should.

"Transparency, as used in science, engineering, business, the humanities and in a social context more generally, implies openness, communication, and accountability. Transparency is operating in such a way that it is easy for others to see what actions are performed. For example, a cashier making change at a point of sale by segregating a customer's large bills, counting up from the sale amount, and placing the change on the counter in such a way as to invite the customer to verify the amount of change demonstrates transparency."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_(behavior)

Perhaps by pointing out the shortcomings of recent staff inconsistencies, it might make the staff realise they have let their standards slip, quite a lot, and take matters back in hand and start enforcing the rules consistently in a professional and mature manner as was done previously.

But perhaps it will just trigger a defensive reactionary "jump down the throat" of one pointing it out instead.

Fact is there are 3 mods, with 3 different moderating styles. However for the most part, when it comes to threads being locked the same thing triggers it, and that is normally people turning things nasty. As long as people keep it civil, i'm up for letting threads continue, its what forums are for, discussion.

However, you are right, in recent times the bashing has gotten more out of controll than we would like. After a quick chat with the mods we will go back to watching threads about competitors with a more vigilant eye, and bashing or outright hating will be removed (as was the case with the thread in question).

Thanks!

I just wanted to make a post so the silence can be broken and some real discussion could be had, like if there were any tasty news :P

I assume the courts arn't open Saturday or Sunday... so will be Monday onwards before any news...

I assume Kier, Mike and Ashley are in contact with you regarding the daily business here. At least you told us so in several other threads.

Can't you simply ask them? Or can't they simply put a statement in here whether an agreement was reached or not? I hate those silly games you play with your customers...

I assume Kier, Mike and Ashley is in contact with you regarding the daily business here. At least you told us so in several other threads.

Can't you simply ask them? Or can't they simply put a statement in here weather an agreement was reached or not? I hate those silly games you play with your customers...

What games? KAM have generally refained from posting anything about the lawsuit, im sure another 2 days of waiting for a PACER update wont kill you?

The only thing I still care about here is how customers are treated. I mean -with all respect- this IS the official website of XenForo Ltd. Why on earth should your customers be forced to wait for public PACER updates they -again- can only interpret?

Why can't you pay one more hour to one of your lawyers to prepare and post an update each month in the official announcement forum? People here are still loving you and wishing you well, thinking about you. And you treat them like silly cows. This is just ridiculous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom