The new "New" icon

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Just noticed the new "New" icon in posts.

I have to say it's a huge improvement on the old one <thumbsup>

How does it fit within the overall width of the site though?
Quite curious to see how it works as it sort of "wraps" around the edge.

It looks really good though.

Ahhh good old development and design by committee... a sure fire guarantee to not get anything done :p hehehehe

Well done Kier, it looks brilliant either way, but for mine the right hand placement is more balanced :)

I prefer a sharp angled wraparound effect. The curved wraparound is a bit hard to "see", so it looks very weird at times. What I've come up with:
WJ4Dd.png

Here's the CSS:
Code:
.message .newIndicator span {
	display:block;
	height:0;
	position:absolute;
	right:-1px;
	top:-6px;
	width:0;
	z-index:-1;
	border: 5px solid transparent;
	border-right: none;
	border-left-color: #6CB2E4;
}

Yes, sure... but this is not what I mean. When there is a lively discussion about a certain XF design element and the majority of people show a preference for a certain way then in most cases this would be the way to follow then. This is what enduser feedback is for and I have witnessed overhere that thanks to the way you and Mike are open to our feedback and seriously listening to it the best solution (examples: MiniMe improvements, moving [report] to the left, making thread preview popup on top of the title instead of down, etc, etc... :cool:) is found in the end. For me, XF is already 95% perfect out of the box when it comes to the UI, so I am happy customer suggestions are being considered for the left 5%.
For the mostpart I do agree. However, there are times when Kier/Mike just need to do what they feel is best, or what they want to do, despite what any feedback says. It is, after all, their software. ;)

Another vote for the right-hand side, it just seemed to scream out at me when it was on the left, not sure why but it was pulling my eye towards it even when I was reading the actual post, whereas it seems more balanced on the left.

Certainly the blue is better than the pervious version.

Just wondering what it would look like with 'New' reading down, like:
N
e
w
- it would solve the problem of overhang of the quote box and/or images, but will probably look a bit too weird, especially with the wraparound.

I prefer a sharp angled wraparound effect. The curved wraparound is a bit hard to "see", so it looks very weird at times. What I've come up with:
WJ4Dd.png

Here's the CSS:
Code:
}
I think the one with the sharp angle gives a more notable wraparound effect in this case, yes.

(If not default, I look forward to your version as a mini-release).

I dunno what the debate about the icon being on left or right is better etc. was about....

When I read the messages with the old icon, I tend to look for it on the right. And the blue icon being on the right, is better because your brain is trained to read like that.

Nice job, Shelly! :)

Looks like this one is Eriksricks' idea.

WJ4Dd.png

Here's the CSS:
Code:
}

The new overlay blue ribbon icon identifying a new post looks great. Especially since it is all css, and not an image :)

I personally do not mind if it is a sharp angle or rounded. It's so small it shouldn't matter.

I also think it is common in the design world to have it on the right, as it's nothing but an indicator, and has nothing to do with the UX/UI part of the content of the post, (just the post block itself), or the user info (which is on the left).

It's fine as it was, and I think it's better as it is now. I see no need to discuss if it should be upside down or black or purple or rounded or a triangle. :)

The word new is a phrase, I assume, so yes, easy to change.
if you also change the blue elements in the css, it will adapt to that, if it's the same blue class or id.
Using a template change you can replace it with an image, or any other html/css code.
A plugin could have overlay class on the word link new, popping up a list of all the posts in the thread with new, regardless of page.

xenforo is flexible enough to do it all.

Your eyes are naturally drawn to the right actually, hence why right hand advertising in print media is considerably more expensive than left hand advertising.

That is more to do with how you read a book/magazine as you turn the page even if you intend to look at the left hand page you see the right first because for a large period of time the left page is obscured. I don't think this logic counts for web layout as there is no page turn.

That is more to do with how you read a book/magazine as you turn the page even if you intend to look at the left hand page you see the right first because for a large period of time the left page is obscured. I don't think this logic counts for web layout as there is no page turn.

Yeah you could be right there, but I know my eyes go to the right before the left :)

Top Bottom