The new "New" icon

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Just noticed the new "New" icon in posts.

I have to say it's a huge improvement on the old one <thumbsup>

How does it fit within the overall width of the site though?
Quite curious to see how it works as it sort of "wraps" around the edge.

It looks really good though.

Could you just do something with the separator line at the first new post? Everything after the first 'New' is new, right?

Triple up the line? The word 'New'? I have viewing sigs disabled so it is tough to make an intelligent suggestion.

Let's look at the benefits of having it on the left:
  • A: Forms part of the visual flow of user info -> message text
  • B: Doesn't get in the way (it's not supposed to be a massive flashing indicator)

I don't see these as benefits myself:

To be honest, I don't think it looks so good on the left. For me it is now in the way of the cleanliness that makes XF so great. The blue indicator on the left is too much 'in your face' and gets in the way of an easy reading of the postings/thread. Just focus your eyes on the content area in a thread... when they are lots of blue indicators on the left... your eyes tend to be distracted by it. But... maybe it needs some getting used to as well. Having said that I still prefer them on the right... at that position they are functional and at the same time not in the way of easy reading.

A: Those 'new' indicators are not so important to me on a day-to-day basis, so the preferred visual flow for me is that they are less in your face/noticeable, thus why I should put them on the right.
B: Even if they are not a massive flashing indicator, they are still in the way:

new on left.webp

Like I said: Just focus your eyes on the content area in a thread... when they are lots of blue indicators on the left... your eyes tend to be distracted by it. In the above example my eyes are partly going to the [new] indicators instead of fully to the actual content of the posting. That is what I loved so much about XF's UI: the cleanliness and readability. Somehow putting [new] on the left is not in line with that. At least for me.

I don't see these as benefits myself:

A: Those 'new' indicators are not so important to me on a day-to-day basis, so the preferred visual flow for me is that they are less in your face/noticeable, thus why I should put them on the right.
B: Even if they are not a massive flashing indicator, they are still in the way:

View attachment 1933

Like I said: Just focus your eyes on the content area in a thread... when they are lots of blue indicators on the left... your eyes tend to be distracted by it. In the above example my eyes are partly going to the [new] indicators instead of fully to the actual content of the posting. That is what I loved so much about XF's UI: the cleanliness and readability. Somehow putting [new] on the left is not in line with that. At least for me.
Tbh, it actually attracts you to a new post which is the point of the indicator anyway.

Your eyes are naturally drawn to the right actually, hence why right hand advertising in print media is considerably more expensive than left hand advertising.

but is the "New"-icon soooo important that it needs to stand out ?

For me it does. I like to start reading where I previously left off. The right side just seemed too far out of the way to be noticed, for me.

Your eyes are naturally drawn to the right actually, hence why right hand advertising in print media is considerably more expensive than left hand advertising.

Not for everyone. My eyes are always focused middle to left of the posts. I normally have to look right to see if a post was new or not. Again, that is me.

I think it draws too much attention to it now. I think it's also 'too much' at that location. And let's not forget in other languages it's not three but five letters, so this will not help either. New = Nieuw in dutch. Imagine that overlapping the avatar, no thanks.

Tbh, it actually attracts you to a new post which is the point of the indicator anyway.

But the question is: do we need this attraction?:

but is the "New"-icon soooo important that it needs to stand out ?

Really, in the whole month that I used XenForo I never ever looked at the yellow [new] indicator on the right. Now I feel forced to look at it, with this blue [new] on the left. I don't want to be forced to look at something that I do not want to look at, it is that simple. Putting it on the right solves that. And still keeps it's functionality for people who do use it.

Let's look at the benefits of having it on the left:

Agreed, but there are counter points: (as already mentioned above)
  • It appears to be saying the user is new, as opposed to the post, since it overlaps the avatar box
  • It will overlap the avatar itself when translated to other languages that use more letters to say "new"

I can see the advantages and disadvantages of putting it on the left vs. right. However I must say that no matter the position this indicator is a hundred times better than the last one. :)

Top Bottom