The new "New" icon

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Just noticed the new "New" icon in posts.

I have to say it's a huge improvement on the old one <thumbsup>

How does it fit within the overall width of the site though?
Quite curious to see how it works as it sort of "wraps" around the edge.

It looks really good though.

Looks a bit odd to me.

Seems too high (its above the first line of text) and too far over, its spilling off the edge of the post onto the background - and whats that pimple at the top right of it - looks like it got a spot, needs a bit of Clearasil. :)

hmm. I am going to have to look at it in other browsers, because it looks fine to me. I am on board with Lawrence however. I liked it on the left side since its natural to read left to right.

Thanks for putting it back on the right (literally and...) side :). Does wonders for the readability of the forum postings. I believe XenForo should default to functionality that works the best in the eyes of most people (and in this case that would be this indicator on the right). You always can change the templates yourself if you are in the minority that likes it differently. This blue indicator is already a great improvement over the really not-good-looking former yellow offering.

By the way, credit where credit is due - the new 'New' indicator owes most of its look to Shelley, who posted some ideas a few weeks back.
postbit_new3-png.975

Looks more balanced on the right to me. In addition, that draws the eyes to the right more, which I personally consider important.

I have had ongoing issues with the youtube static image server, and it will lock up for minutes and will not land on the correct new post until that completes (if someone embeds a youtube). So for me, some indication that a post is new is important. I also realize coming in from a newsfeed is probably the reason though.

Not sure I agree. If I asked people what they wanted before I showed them what I think is the best way to do something, we would end up with a vBulletin 3 clone, which is not what we are aiming for.

Yes, sure... but this is not what I mean. When there is a lively discussion about a certain XF design element and the majority of people show a preference for a certain way then in most cases this would be the way to follow then. This is what enduser feedback is for and I have witnessed overhere that thanks to the way you and Mike are open to our feedback and seriously listening to it the best solution (examples: MiniMe improvements, moving [report] to the left, making thread preview popup on top of the title instead of down, etc, etc... :cool:) is found in the end. For me, XF is already 95% perfect out of the box when it comes to the UI, so I am happy customer suggestions are being considered for the left 5%.

Noooooooooooooooo........... ;)

Actually, the style of the forum of vBulletin 3 is simply excellent for it's time and the product. The vB3 Blog style however... :(, but that's a different story. I always adored the vB3 forum default style. I never had any reason to change anything on it... after all those years I still use the default style on our production board. It has simply the best forum UI compared to other products.

Obviously, XF will outdo it. vB4 was a huge step backwards... (apart from the Blog actually)... I will never understand the vision 'they' put behind vB4's UI. Puzzling, really worryingly puzzling.

...seriously listening to it the best solution (examples: MiniMe improvements, moving [report] to the left, making thread preview popup on top of the title instead of down, etc, etc... :cool:) is found in the end. For me, XF is already 95% perfect out of the box when it comes to the UI, so I am happy customer suggestions are being considered for the left 5%.
But you kept typing 95% before all those great changes. Hasn't the % gone up?

Mine has! :)

Top Bottom