The Importance of User IDs

LPH

I've been giving user IDs a lot of thought over the past few years. My preference is to use my initials. This is true on twitter, Google+, my sites, and even here. In fact, moderators here politely changed the lph to LPH to clarify my user ID.

What happens, though, when someone like me goes to a site and cannot use their common ID? For example, Facebook refuses to allow me to use LPH. Guess what? I don't use Facebook very often. The account is present for others and not for me. In fact - I could just as easily delete the account. And that may happen very soon.

Actually, I've been deleting accounts all over the place. It is what I've started asking webmasters to do if LPH is not available.

I started with WordPress.org. I asked for the LPH2005 account to be changed to LPH or delete the account. Next, another email was sent to Facebook regarding LPH. Next, I started going through forums and removing accounts.

I'll stick to one User ID - or I am out. Gone. Adios. Goodbye.

Is that not just denying yourself access to what might be a very useful (and often free) service?

Nope. It's a recognition that there are choices. As a visitor to any site - I have a choice to stay or go. No site can overrule my choice because I can easily leave - and leave I will.

Well your choice is for example to not use what might be a hugely valuable service because of a relatively superficial issue.

What if you couldn't have had LPH on here? Would you be on VB now instead?

I do not consider vB to be an alternative source for XF information ;)
I was referencing forums, social networking sites, etc.

But to answer the idea (and not deflect): Correct. I would go elsewhere. In fact, I argued with Google over LPH on Google+ because two years ago they suspended accounts which used profiles which were not easily identifiable. Luckily LPH was used in many places and a nice executive from Microsoft stepped in and helped. Interesting, right? Microsoft helped me with Google :D

I recall people arguing over the importance of anonymity. Actually, my point over the years has been the opposite. Let me brand myself - and a few years ago I jokingly started putting TM after LPH.

Well your choice is for example to not use what might be a hugely valuable service because of a relatively superficial issue.

What if you couldn't have had LPH on here? Would you be on VB now instead?

I have to agree with @RobParker , it's kinda like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I have a few different usernames I use, although it's rare I find Azhria Lilu to be taken. And if I find somewhere that I take the time to register at, then the fact that one of the typical names I go under isn't available wouldn't turn me away.

Hmm.

I've mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's quite nice to have one username for everything, and it's ******* annoying when your regular username isn't available. On the other hand, others might have the same idea as you and be using it on several places as well (especially with more common usernames) which makes it hard to enforce this.. Also, using the same username everywhere makes you VERY easy to find. Which becomes increasingly bad for your privacy, makes it increasingly easy to collect and combine data about you for companies and might actually create some risks. If you start mixing forums, Facebook, Twitter, games, Steam, etc. all on the same username, it doesn't require much to find out a LOT about you, possibly even more so than when you'd google your real life name. Which I wouldn't be entirely comfortable with myself.

Also, using the same username everywhere makes you VERY easy to find. Which becomes increasingly bad for your privacy, makes it increasingly easy to collect and combine data about you for companies and might actually create some risks. If you start mixing forums, Facebook, Twitter, games, Steam, etc. all on the same username, it doesn't require much to find out a LOT about you, possibly even more so than when you'd google your real life name. Which I wouldn't be entirely comfortable with myself.

It is a brain-teaser. However, Data mining has been going on for a long time which leads to the idea that anonymity is based on self regulation: If you want to be private then do not put it on the web. No changing of User IDs will keep someone from identifying someone else.

I have to agree with @RobParker , it's kinda like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

The beauty of an idea is to see the opposite perspective. The assumption that I would be missing out skirts that important information is always shared across multiple services. The days of exclusive stories are over.

The beauty of an idea is to see the opposite perspective. The assumption that I would be missing out skirts that important information is always shared across multiple services. The days of exclusive stories are over.

I didn't say you'd be missing out, just that you were stopping yourself from registering for, what amounts to me as, a pretty silly reason. If you'd got to the point of starting to register, then there was something that made that appealing. Not continuing with the registration just because the name you want isn't available seems a little extreme. But, each to their own :)

It is a brain-teaser. However, Data mining has been going on for a long time which leads to the idea that anonymity is based on self regulation: If you want to be private then do not put it on the web. No changing of User IDs will keep someone from identifying someone else.
If I call myself Sador here and post stuff, and then call myself something else on another place, the two aren't connected and thus it's slightly more private than when you can connect the account Sador to both of the posts (or whatever else like Facebook). It at least becomes harder to identify someone. :)

On Xenforo.com, Dre was actually taken then when I changed my name for the 3rd and last time it became mysteriously available. o_O

You've changed your name 3 times? o_O

I pretty much stick to my username, or some variation of my full name. It's not a secret what my name is so... Doesn't bother me.

And my name is so unique that nobody will take to but me.

You've changed your name 3 times? o_O

I pretty much stick to my username, or some variation of my full name. It's not a secret what my name is so... Doesn't bother me.

And my name is so unique that nobody will take to but me.
Same here. I don't think anybody will use a name as bizarre as mine :P

I don't care. If I want people to know who I am I'll use a common user name. I like sticking with random words or figures so an account can't be tied to me without a few weeks of digging.

The problem with data mining is you don't have control over what gets put on the Internet. Saying "don't put it on the Internet" is naive and regardless of the steps you take, more often than not, companies will put your information out there whether you like it or not.

I use Morgain for most of my forum memberships so I am recognisable to the wider forum community. Usually use the same avatar too. Miaow.

But I have other names and other emails I use for registrations for eg software, support services. That cuts spam and clutter on the more real me - forums, communities. Then there's my business email and ID which is separate again.

I gave up on FB long ago, deleted most of my stuff on it, and never went near twitter.

Slavik most of the time, and failing that I have 1 other which is never taken...

But, I don't let it stop me using a site...

Top Bottom