[TH] Import Tools [Deleted]

Jon W

Waindigo submitted a new resource:

Import Tools by Waindigo (version 1.0.0) - Undo steps, skip steps and recover previous imports. Now you can import in several stages.

Description:

This add-on adds a number of new options when performing an import from another forum software.

By allowing you to undo steps, skip steps and recover previous imports, and by skipping over any IDs that have previously been imported when you run a step more than once, this add-on makes debugging an importer or performing a staged import easier than ever.

This add-on is an advanced tool. Always backup before performing an import. It is also recommended to run a full test...

Read more about this resource...

This looks very useful... one question though, does this add 'plugin by Waindigo' anywhere on my forum pages? I was really unhappy when installing a different addon of yours and that was on every page on my forum.

Reactions: vVv
Seems like it could be a great plugin/resource, thanks Morgain and Waindigo.. :)

This looks very useful... one question though, does this add 'plugin by Waindigo' anywhere on my forum pages? I was really unhappy when installing a different addon of yours and that was on every page on my forum.

I know, I still have that on my forums now...any way to remove that stuff lol >_<

I know, I still have that on my forums now...any way to remove that stuff lol >_<

If you follow the link about the copyright notice in any of my resource descriptions, you would have seen the following:
...we are still happy for you to move or hide the copyright notice, providing you do not change it. You can download this helpful add-on to do this, or you can also easily hide the notice by adding the following code to your EXTRA.CSS template:
Code:
#waindigoCopyrightNotice { display: none; }

There are a small number of our add-ons that don't currently display a copyright notice. It is also worth bearing in mind that this add-on could be uninstalled after you have used it! We prefer to think of this one as "the first add-on that people moving to XenForo would use" and hopefully a great introduction to our other work.

We have also changed a few of our add-ons so that they don't display a copyright notice on every page. But if you are using many of our add-ons in conjunction with each other, which we hope you will, then you probably won't notice this!

I'm also thinking that it might be worthwhile including a notice in the add-on itself to point out that you can remove the copyright notice by CSS. This is what we used to do by default, but a few people started posting scare stories about this affecting the site's SEO. Just in case this is true (or in case it becomes true in a future update of Google's search engine) we thought better to make it clear and to give you the option.

Please note, however, that complete removal of the copyright notice is NOT allowed without permission.

Hope this clears a few things up and glad you all like the add-on!

Yup, even redownloaded the zip and reuploaded everything about 4 times, overwriting. Still getting the error.
This one has me completely stumped. I have installed on a fresh install with absolutely no issues. What other add-ons do you have installed? What version of PHP are you using? If possible, could you send me a PM with details for how to access your site so that I can check it out myself?

Ok, so... funny story :X3: I had recently moved my server and was accidently uploading the files to the old one :ROFLMAO:

This woulod be awesome. I'm going to give this a go some time soon.I have a client import lined up for an import soon, so that'll be a good test-case :)

So you import, and then finalize, and then import again from same source and it will skip over the stuff already done? Say I'm importing from a live database, and I import all the threads. Then new threads are made in the old db, if I import again it will skip over posts I've already imported and just do the new ones?

That's the idea, yes.

The steps are as follows:
  1. Do an import.
  2. Finalise the import.
  3. Start a new import.
  4. Retrieve the log from the old import (you will need to exit the importer to do this).
  5. Skip any steps you don't need to re-do.
  6. Re-do the other steps.
  7. Finalise the import again.
Or, you can:
  1. Do an import.
  2. Undo certain steps.
  3. Re-do those steps.
  4. Finalise the import.
There is no guarantee that it will skip over everything that you have previously imported as it depends on how the importer has been written. I have tested it with threads and posts on the VB importer though and this works. Please let me know if you try and redo any other step and it doesn't work as expected.

OK I just tested with phpbb3. I imported my old forum, made new posts on my old forum and tried importing anew. It did properly skip the stuff already there, but did not add my new posts. It just reports 0 new imports: Undo step Imported 0 items. (1 minutes 50.94 seconds)
I have about 150,000 posts on my forum, original import took about 3 -4 hours. It did not dupe any threads or give any errors about already existing posts so everything worked right for skipping what was already there, it just didn't add the new posts that had been made between imports.

I did start a new import though, not retrieve the old one. Retrieving the old one just gives the option to 'undo step' the threads/posts.

And I just tried retrieving the import log and I'm getting

Error
It is not possible to create the table 'archived_import_log' due to the following error: Mysqli statement execute error : Table 'xxx.xf_import_log' doesn't exist
I've had this problem before when retrieving imports (pre-import tool) :/

OK I just tested with phpbb3. I imported my old forum, made new posts on my old forum and tried importing anew. It did properly skip the stuff already there, but did not add my new posts. It just reports 0 new imports: Undo step Imported 0 items. (1 minutes 50.94 seconds)
I have about 150,000 posts on my forum, original import took about 3 -4 hours. It did not dupe any threads or give any errors about already existing posts so everything worked right for skipping what was already there, it just didn't add the new posts that had been made between imports.
Are the posts in existing threads or in new threads. If new threads, you will need to import those too.

I did start a new import though, not retrieve the old one. Retrieving the old one just gives the option to 'undo step' the threads/posts.

And I just tried retrieving the import log and I'm getting

I've had this problem before when retrieving imports (pre-import tool) :/
You might want to make sure that when you finish the import you select the option to archive the import log and remember the table where you archived it. If you don't archive it, you can't retrieve it!

Are the posts in existing threads or in new threads. If new threads, you will need to import those too.

You might want to make sure that when you finish the import you select the option to archive the import log and remember the table where you archived it. If you don't archive it, you can't retrieve it!
Yup it was definitely archived. I retrieved the archive, tried to import polls and suddenly got the error.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to set up a phpbb3 installation of my own and test it out.

Top Bottom