[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal

[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal 1.0.6

No permission to download
The bug i reported on Dec 5th 2019 still has not been fixed.

i would not recommend any addons from themehouse

they care more about money, than customer service

i will never use another themehouse addon again

The bug i reported on Dec 5th 2019 still has not been fixed.

i would not recommend any addons from themehouse

they care more about money, than customer service

i will never use another themehouse addon again

I don't agree with that, but they have not enhanced their addons with suggestions much or at all lately. I'd suggest only buying if you're happy with the current implementation.

but they have not enhanced their addons with suggestions much or at all lately

Pretty lackluster in my opinion, this addon could use a little bit of work to be great for a "Newsfeed" implementation for the best topics in our forums.
We will probably develop our own solution or scrap the idea entirely because this is almost unusable or barely usable and needs a lot QoL improvements that i've already mentioned.
  • Let us "stick" featured post in the Grid / Post Stream
  • Let us say "only post with featured images will show up in the grid / slider"
  • Implement Dynamic Filtering
  • Implement a "Widget Position" "inside" the content stream, for example every two or three items, so people will see the things inside the Widget scrolling the page.
Every topic goes in the "slider" and makes the addon ugly, and you cannot change this behavior. For example i want only specific topics in my slider for a curated homepage + stream of posts. And i can't.

Dynamic Filtering? Is possible? Is a great QoL.

Why only widgets on the side and not "inside" the content stream.. for example for podcasts Widgets or other things.

Pretty lackluster in my opinion, this addon could use a little bit of work to be great for a "Newsfeed" implementation for the best topics in our forums.
We will probably develop our own solution or scrap the idea entirely because this is almost unusable or barely usable and needs a lot QoL improvements that i've already mentioned.
  • Let us "stick" featured post in the Grid / Post Stream
  • Let us say "only post with featured images will show up in the grid / slider"
  • Implement Dynamic Filtering
  • Implement a "Widget Position" "inside" the content stream, for example every two or three items, so people will see the things inside the Widget scrolling the page.
Every topic goes in the "slider" and makes the addon ugly, and you cannot change this behavior. For example i want only specific topics in my slider for a curated homepage + stream of posts. And i can't.

Dynamic Filtering? Is possible? Is a great QoL.

Why only widgets on the side and not "inside" the content stream.. for example for podcasts Widgets or other things.

Pretty much this. I also changed things a bit with a custom extension to this add-on so they don't duplicate in the grid and the post area. I'm not sure if they fixed it but I also changed it so the photo you select for the grid also gets used in the post area. Otherwise you have to select two images or something, basically it didn't make any sense and looks unprofessional if you actually activate auto promote. If you want the impression or illusion of a hand curated news feed but automated, this doesn't do that.

While this feature isn't perfect, it's provide some amazing results for our forum. We use this plugin to feature three different types of threads. The first are very old but very important threads that are often buried deep in the forum and unless you know exactly what you're looking for they're almost impossible to find.
Screenshot (59).webp

Screenshot (60).webp

Here's two screenshots of threads of this sort. Each of these threads were manually promoted at times when the content is very important to our users.

The second time we use the "Featured Threads" add-on are for threads that are a few months old and the content tends to be somewhat established. This second time the threads are automatically promoted once they hit 100 posts AND contain a photo AND are in a forum that tends to have a fair amount of "chit chat."
Screenshot (61).webp

Lastly we use this to highlight "up and coming" threads. Since our forum is mostly "question and answer" type threads it's rare we have a thread that contains multiple posts, with the exception of a few nodes that are "chatty." This third group is also automatically promoted and the thread must contain a photo AND have at lease 20 posts in some of the non-chatty forums. You'll notice the first three set's of screenshots from Analytics are taken over a very long term while this last one only a snap of the last week since this thread was just started last Monday. Often this third promotion contains very new content and the content isn't very established.

Screenshot (64).webp

While I totally agree with the user who mentioned the fact that a user should ALWAYS purchase an add-on based on current workings NOT future plans, I don't agree that the add-on is unusable and barely unstable. For me the numbers say a fair amount.........and this add-on helps us increase our numbers.

@leebo first i said "barely usable" not unstable, and this is a niche case, when i buy an addon from TH i expect to be somewhat polished in a reasonable amount of time, with features that enable a professional looking forum. Because they sell a suite of addons for big and established communities online.

I expect this as a client because Themehouse isn't an unknown developer and i do not buy only "what the add-on actually does" but i buy the "experience" that comes with it (and i gladly pay an higher price for it).

I ask for transparency and answers, even a schedule would be nice. Not for immediate updates. Because i can extend the add-on functionalities but if the developer says "we will add this next month" i wasted my development time in something that i will eventually get (and already paid for).

This addon is great because the forum needs a "Newsfeed" with images, topics that "re-feature" themselves automatically if they are brought back from the grave etc, if it wasn't i will not be here asking for more features for it.

I'm prepping for a migration from XF1 to XF2, and still have CTA Featured Threads running on my site.
  1. I'm assuming that it is possible to not display the left-side widget that I see in the demo.
  2. Can someone send me the promo code, if it's still useable.
Thanks,

Top Bottom