[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal

[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal 1.0.6

No permission to download
Are threads automatically unfeatured when they are deleted?

If you hard delete them, the feature entry will be removed with them. Soft deleting a thread won't unfeature it, but view permissions will prevent it from being shown to anyone who isn't able to see deleted threads.

1. I'm assuming that it is possible to not display the left-side widget that I see in the demo.

There's no built in option to remove the filter sidebar, but you can edit the template to get rid of it.

I've been going through the thread and may have missed this... when selecting "Feature Thread" while viewing a thread the defaults for 'Display' is to pre-check all 3 options (content page, grid widget, slider widget) but I'm having an issue where the thread will show in the slider & grid but it won't show in the content listing. If I turn off the options for the slider & grid widgets leaving only the content page checked then it shows but if I try to have it show in both places then it only shows in the grid/slider but not the content listing. By design?

This is with a fresh install TH Featured 1.0.5 PL1 on XF 2.1.8 PL2.

I've been going through the thread and may have missed this... when selecting "Feature Thread" while viewing a thread the defaults for 'Display' is to pre-check all 3 options (content page, grid widget, slider widget) but I'm having an issue where the thread will show in the slider & grid but it won't show in the content listing. If I turn off the options for the slider & grid widgets leaving only the content page checked then it shows but if I try to have it show in both places then it only shows in the grid/slider but not the content listing. By design?

This is with a fresh install TH Featured 1.0.5 PL1 on XF 2.1.8 PL2.
Hello Kevin! I hope you are doing well.

This would in fact be by design, yes. This is so it doesn't show the same thing multiple times on the page.

Hello Kevin! I hope you are doing well.
Doing well, thanks. I'm finally making some time to dig into this add-on. 👍 Turns out I had some conflicts with some bespoke add-ons that also touches the macro templates and because everything is using a default priority of 10 I had to change my bespoke ones to a higher value. Once I realized what was going on it made testing much easier. 🤣

This would in fact be by design, yes. This is so it doesn't show the same thing multiple times on the page.
Thanks for confirming. From a user UI perspective though it seems kind of 'wonky' to have all three check boxes turned on by default when it's known that doing so is a conflict

Thanks for confirming. From a user UI perspective though it seems kind of 'wonky' to have all three check boxes turned on by default when it's known that doing so is a conflict
It's not really a conflict. They still show in each respective section in other locations such as widgets.

We have no way of knowing when it's created which specifically it will show up on, and there still needs to be a way to prevent something from showing up in one of those locations. For example, you can set it up to show in all three and when it sorts by the date it could potentially show up in any one of the three. However, if you disable it from showing up in the grid it will show up either in the slider or the main listing depending on how many items there are showing before it

It's not really a conflict. They still show in each respective section in other locations such as widgets.
So it's only on the actual /featured page that it'll only show up once and on different pages if both widgets are added then it'd show up in both spots?

We have no way of knowing when it's created which specifically it will show up on, and there still needs to be a way to prevent something from showing up in one of those locations. For example, you can set it up to show in all three and when it sorts by the date it could potentially show up in any one of the three. However, if you disable it from showing up in the grid it will show up either in the slider or the main listing depending on how many items there are showing before it
Not knowing where it'll show up is a much better way of articulating why it's 'wonky' from a user UI perspective. 😜

Can I make a slideshow from pictures ? Also I tried to access theme house website, and seems to be off for a while.

Can I make a slideshow from pictures ? Also I tried to access theme house website, and seems to be off for a while.
That is correct, we include a slider that showcases any feature thread that has an image attached to it. Our site is now back online; Apologies for the issues :)

Any smaller sites using this and would care to show off how they're using this? In short, I'm looking for ideas about whether to use a dedicated 'Home' page for a small site or just keep it simple and put the slider or something at the top of the forum list and am curious to see how others have implemented it. :D

Any smaller sites using this and would care to show off how they're using this? In short, I'm looking for ideas about whether to use a dedicated 'Home' page for a small site or just keep it simple and put the slider or something at the top of the forum list and am curious to see how others have implemented it. :D

I did set up a Home Page using it. A bit more featured from the addon would be welcome.

A bit disappointing with this option:

• Choose the order in which auto feature criteria will be checked
I tried to set it up, but looks there are missing some options, it does work, but it does feature on all widgets which is not what I was expecting. I would like to have options where auto feature threads will be displayed , at the moment does display on slider, featured content page, and featured grid. Maybe we can choose where to display those auto threads ?

Just installed and like how it looks so far!

A couple questions:
1) Is it possible to set "home" to be the featured page? If so, how? I would like the home tab to go to this page and I would also like to be the default landing page when you enter the forum.

2) How do I make the featured posts look like this one? Header image, different formatting etc?

Last edited:

Well, I just finished the install, but I like what I see so far. Here's how it looks on my page: http://gardenforums.com/

I love how this looks, installation was very simple and it's working well.

However, I think I may have found a problem for my site. There doesn't seem to be any way to feature items from the XFMedia Gallery. Can anyone confirm that this only does forum content and not media from the gallery? It's called "threads and content" and media is content, so maybe? Am I missing something?

I love how this looks, installation was very simple and it's working well.

However, I think I may have found a problem for my site. There doesn't seem to be any way to feature items from the XFMedia Gallery. Can anyone confirm that this only does forum content and not media from the gallery? It's called "threads and content" and media is content, so maybe? Am I missing something?

I don’t think can do from media unfortunately

I don’t think can do from media unfortunately

Sadly, it looks like you're right. That's going to be a definite deal breaker for me. Kinda sucks it cost me $60 to find out it won't do what I need. :(

TH, if you're listening, please consider adding support for the media gallery!

Sadly, it looks like you're right. That's going to be a definite deal breaker for me. Kinda sucks it cost me $60 to find out it won't do what I need. :(

TH, if you're listening, please consider adding support for the media gallery!

There are quite some missing features on this addon which really disappointed me to be honest.

Top Bottom