1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Test Upgrade Instructions?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by MKSwni, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MKSwni

MKSwni Member

I'm trying to update my site from 1.2.0 to 1.2.4 but first I want to run a test upgrade.
    I've read some relevant posts through the search function and found the following steps:

1.) Create a new database
    2.) Upload Xenforo installation files onto the server*
    3.) Specify database username and info in the Xenforo installer
    4.) Install XF
    5.) Import content from your forum over (if you want; in this case I don't need any content. Just styles and add-ons).

My question is this:

-*I created a new database in cPanel but do I just transfer the Xenforo installation files onto the server? I don't want to replace anything in my server files at all, especially since that's tied to the live site.
    -How do I set up what URL the test site will be available at?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To duplicate your current site:

• Create a new database with a different database name, user name and password
    • Export your current live database and import it into your new test database
    • Create a new directory on your server, e.g. /test
    • Copy all of the files from your current live site to /test
    • Edit the /library/config.php file in your new /test directory and change the database details to match your new test database
    • Add the below code to your new /test directory /library/config.php file
    $config['enableMail'] = false;

$config['cookie'] = array(
    'prefix' => 'test_',
    'path' => '/',
    'domain' => ''
    Don't forget that the test installation should be password protected to stop others from accessing it.
    You can do that with .htaccess - copy the instructions here but apply it to the root directory instead: http://xenforo.com/community/resour...and-the-install-directory-using-htaccess.353/