Test site using same database?

Mouth

Couple of questions...

1. Can I create a copy of my XF install onto a sub-domain (passwd protected to adhere to XF rules), for testing purposes, using the same database? I will use this for testing add-on compatibility and styles

2. Assume the answer to above is Yes, then could I also upgrade the test site to 1.2beta (which I assume make DB changes) without affecting the operation of the production site? Thusly, is a XF 1.2 database compatible backwards compatible when using XF 1.1 ?

Thanks.

You could point the installation to the same database, it will just fail miserably as it won't have what its needed. If you perform an upgrade on the same database as your live install, you will upgrade the database for your live install. As Brogan said, duplicate your site and use a separate database.

Couple of questions...

1. Can I create a copy of my XF install onto a sub-domain (passwd protected to adhere to XF rules), for testing purposes, using the same database? I will use this for testing add-on compatibility and styles

2. Assume the answer to above is Yes, then could I also upgrade the test site to 1.2beta (which I assume make DB changes) without affecting the operation of the production site? Thusly, is a XF 1.2 database compatible backwards compatible when using XF 1.1 ?

Thanks.

What I did was copy the entire live site to the testbed, then exported the live database (using terminal), then imported the live database into the testbed using a different DB name (again, using terminal). Change the .htaccess for redirect issues as well as config.php for the new db name. Took me longer to import the DB than anything else during the process.

What I did was copy the entire live site to the testbed, then exported the live database (using terminal), then imported the live database into the testbed using a different DB name (again, using terminal). Change the .htaccess for redirect issues as well as config.php for the new db name. Took me longer to import the DB than anything else during the process.

I've made a little bash script which does this all for me now :)

Top Bottom