XF 1.5 Test import before proper move

PJK

I'm about to move a large forum from vB 4 to XF. I want to test the import and make sure all works and play around with the site for a few days before releasing it live. What's the best way of doing this?

Once I have the data imported to play around with, how do I clear the database such that when I'm ready to do the actual full migration to go live, it is up to date?

Thanks.

I just realized I'm halfway through the live import and noticed this:
Then delete the attachments and avatar directories from the data directory and the attachments directory from the internal_data directory.
If I skip this step, what is the result? I'll have duplicate avatars stored, but will that affect the site at all? Should I go back and do the install from scratch again after removing the above?

Thanks.

It won't affect the running of the site. It could create duplicate files that XenForo won't use/know about but they won't interfere with the site.

A few users from a usergroup and saying they can't edit their posts. I've changed every setting I can find regarding Edit post by self and when I test their permissions, I can't see the edit button on their posts. I checked the node permissions and it says they can edit their posts. What is the best way to troubleshoot this?

Use the permission analyzer for the user/node in question.
In the Permissions Analyzer, it shows "Edit post by self: Yes", both for the node and the user I chose. When I go to that node and test permissions with that user, I look at one of the users posts and there is no edit button.

I wouldn't recommend using the test permissions function as there are caveats applied to it.

The analyze permissions function is far better.

I wouldn't recommend using the test permissions function as there are caveats applied to it.

The analyze permissions function is far better.
The other thing to check would be an edit time limit. If that limit is passed, then they won't be able to edit.
In the Analysis for this user and node, the edit time is unlimited and the Edit posts by self is set to yes. How can I fix this as he is still having issues?

That information is available in the body of the deleted thread/post.
Where in the body specifically? I can't find it.

Also, the same user who couldn't find the edit button says he can't see any signatures. Where is this setting? I don't see it in signature permissions. Thanks.

In the Analysis for this user and node, the edit time is unlimited and the Edit posts by self is set to yes. How can I fix this as he is still having issues?
If the analysis says yes, then I don't think there should be a reason for him to not be able to, as they should be pulling from the same source. You can force a permission rebuild by going to <url>/install/ and rebuilding the master data.

If the analysis says yes, then I don't think there should be a reason for him to not be able to, as they should be pulling from the same source. You can force a permission rebuild by going to <url>/install/ and rebuilding the master data.
That solved the issues, thanks.

Another thing: what's the best way to insert a banner below all the forums in the footer area, and display it to everyone except a specific usergroup? Thanks.

There's no criteria that would cover that.
Okay, what is the best way to display a notice on all pages except the ones with a sidebar that is open? Is this correct? My goal is to only show the notice when the notice can extend the full width of the forum.
Code:
<xen:if is!="{$sidebar}">
This content will show on pages with a sidebar
</xen:if>

Top Bottom