XF 1.5 Test import before proper move

PJK

I'm about to move a large forum from vB 4 to XF. I want to test the import and make sure all works and play around with the site for a few days before releasing it live. What's the best way of doing this?

Once I have the data imported to play around with, how do I clear the database such that when I'm ready to do the actual full migration to go live, it is up to date?

Thanks.

I'm assuming that you were missing the "-" in your post id right?
There is no "-" in the postid in the links I shared. What do you mean it was missing?

Can you tell me what do you use to redirect links? Is it a script or nginx rules?
During the migration from vB4 over, I installed the vB 4 redirection script. Is there a way to confirm that this is causing the problem? Thanks.

Reactions: PJK
How do I troubleshoot this? This old URL:
https://www.domain.com/forum/showth...5-Kevin-Hays&p=1090727&viewfull=1#post1090727

Redirects to (which just goes to the first post, neglecting the #post... at the end):
https://www.domain.com/forum/threads/6x6-single-1-33-55-kevin-hays.53612/#post1090727
As you're using the 4.x redirections, they're not exactly 100% official. It looks like the code gives priority to a thread link over a post-specific link (this applies to our 3.x redirection scripts, though I don't know if this sort of link gets generated). This would require a code change in the 4.x redirections to prioritize a post redirect (basically flipping the order of 2 ifs).

A user recently discussed an issue with spacing in this older posts that he made from vB. He would put data into Excel, cut and paste it into the forum and add some BBcode to it, as shown here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/75sbi114nsqsz4c/Screenshot 2016-06-02 11.37.56.png?dl=0
Notice it is wrapped in the CODE bbcode. In the past it would format the spacing correctly, and format the COLOR tags, etc.

However, since the move to Xenforo it now doesn't preserve spacing or format the COLOR codes on new posts, as shown here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgdje35ghxqjkjy/Screenshot 2016-06-02 11.39.27.png?dl=0

However, older posts are preserved in spacing but the BBcode doesn't format (as shown in the first screenshot ab0ve).

2 questions:
1) What's the best way to resolve this issue with all older posts? If I attempt to edit an old post that has the alignment working, it shows in the editor (when making an edit to older posts) the spacing is off so I haven't edited older posts.
2) For new posts from now on, what's the best way to paste from Excel and keep the alignment correct, while being able to use COLOR and BOLD bbcodes? Is the CODE tag not appropriate here.

Thanks.

To get BB code in code tags, you need to use [code=rich].

I'm not sure how his pasting process works exactly, but if they're tabs, then they can be turned into spaces. I'd try not using the rich text editor when pasting to see if that behaves differently.

I'm not sure how his pasting process works exactly, but if they're tabs, then they can be turned into spaces. I'd try not using the rich text editor when pasting to see if that behaves differently.
Thanks, the code rich will solve the color and bold issues.

His pasting processing is copying from excel, then pasting into the the editor. With vB it was just a bunch of tabs, but when pasted into the editor, it comes 4 spaces for some reason.

I just tried pasting into a non-rich text editor and it does save the alignment. That seemed to solve the issue, thanks.

Test:
Rich (BB code):
test   test    test    tetst
dsf    sdfd    test    test

Additionally, is it possible to go back and convert all his old posts with the CODE tag into it into code=rich? He has several hundred with unformatted color tags due to this issue.

It would have to be done manually (and with the RTE disabled, as we convert tabs to spaces).
We have like 4,000 posts that are affected by this, so manually isn't really an option.

You can make the code=rich as default instead of plain code by using 3rd party add-on: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/force-rich-code-tag.20317/
Thanks, if I make this change, does it go back and update all older posts as well as code=rich? The key is that it can't be edited with a RTE or else it messed up the formatting. So to manually do it, I'd turn *off* the RTE first, then edit the post replacing code with code=rich.

Edit: Also, unrelated to the above: There is a xf_user_authenticate table which has the scheme_class as "XenForo_Authentication_vBulletin" and remember_key as a unique key for each user. If I give that key to a user for a site he's trying to build that will enable him to edit his post from that site, is that a security issue?

Last edited:
Thanks, if I make this change, does it go back and update all older posts as well as code=rich? The key is that it can't be edited with a RTE or else it messed up the formatting. So to manually do it, I'd turn *off* the RTE first, then edit the post replacing code with code=rich.

I haven't tested it so you have to either ask the developer or install it and test.

Top Bottom