Tapatalk - yes or no

Hello

I am running the latest xenforo and resource manager for my site. I have a few custom fields. We are a very commercial orientated site.

We are hoping to use the tapatalk BYO service as it would be too expensive to do the same ourselves.

This questions are really for anyone using tapatalk with xenforo.
  1. Can you get custom fields to work for resource manager. It is being used as a classified setup? (No response from tapatalk on this)
  2. How reliable is tapatalk and what are the major issues you are facing?
  3. Does it work with http://xenmediagallery.com?
Thanks.

Why not just use the responsive feature built into xf? It should handle everything including custom fields and I believe XenMedia Gallery is also responsive. Would be cheaper than Tapatalk and that's one less addon you have to install as the site will automatically resize to match the screen size of whatever device is viewing your site.

Thanks Ernest.

We are using that already and it is a great fit.

But we are a commercial forum/site so it is also a status symbol to have an app when we present to some of our potential clients.

You know... we get to a meeting and they all bring out their ipads etc... they are using apps from all the media firms although they all have perfectly good websites.

So this is a commercial decision rather than technical but one that needs to work.

Thanks again.

Tapatalk is a nightmare, security issues, poor customer support.. No real ability to monetize. Just to name a cpl issues. Being a commercial site however may give you a different opinion but I personally removed TT months ago and only miss the push notifications.

Thanks VonDoom.

I really dont want to use bad language in here but is anyone using forum runner :)

If that offended anyone I am truly sorry.

1. Can you get custom fields to work for resource manager. It is being used as a classified setup? (No response from tapatalk on this)
  2. How reliable is tapatalk and what are the major issues you are facing?
  3. Does it work with http://xenmediagallery.com?
Thanks.
I don't think Tapatalk works at all with Resource Manager. It doesn't work with Xen Media Gallery. When I used Tapatalk I asked for support and there was no response.

It's not just add-ons that Tapatalk doesn't work with, it doesn't even support half of the built-in functionality in Xenforo - profile posts, custom smilies, font size, font colour, strikethrough text etc.

There have been security issues with Tapatalk too. When I and others raised on their forums they said it was fixed and brushed it off. We wanted more information and assurance, so they simply locked one thread and deleted another one. You can read more details on what there were here.

I removed Tapatalk shortly after this and use the responsive design instead.

Convenience when traveling, etc.
I've asked them repeatedly to try their browser and even created a tutorial on how to move the bookmark to their home screen so it looks like an app. I think what they really like is having 4 or 5 of there favorite forums in one app. I'm keeping it around for now but wish that it wasn't the case.

I'm starting to get errors caused by TT on cache rebuilds now also - needs to be disabled to rebuild conversations.

Last edited:
Short answer: No

Long answer: Nope

You will come to regret it later on, it's like steroids. And currently I'm having a headache dealing with them (I'm a BYO customer & pay $40/mo)

I'm starting to get errors caused by TT on cache rebuilds now also - needs to be disabled to rebuild conversations.

This. I unknowingly sent out thousands of alerts to all the Tapatalk people while rebuilding conversations. TT identified the bug several months ago and posted a patch in the relevant thread on their support forum, but haven't seen fit to issue an updated version. I had no idea it was a problem until after the fact.

We were getting spammers into the forum through Tapatalk, as well. They have their own registration system that bypasses the captcha, required user profile fields, etc. You can close the loophole by editing a config file to disallow in-app registration, but if you're looking for a single, buttoned-up experience, that's going to detract from it.

Also, every time there's a Tapatalk bug (which is often), you will get complaints from users that "your site" or "your app" etc aren't working the way they expect. But it's really nothing that you have any control over.

Bottom line is TT sucks. It's good for push notifications, but that's it. And yet I have about 20 users that would lose their minds if I removed TT support.

But they despise the responsive style. Had to turn that off, too.

I find the core responsive design to make for an enjoyable browsing experience. I often 'work' my site from an iPhone.

Well we all have different opinions but you can't really compare responsive with a full blown native app. Responsive is something great to have but the whole app experience makes things really enjoyable and easy.

I have a few users who use TT so I keep it around. No, it doesn't work with everything on the site, but that's to be expected. I think you guys are being a tad harsh. I use it and it's fine.

This. I unknowingly sent out thousands of alerts to all the Tapatalk people while rebuilding conversations. TT identified the bug several months ago and posted a patch in the relevant thread on their support forum, but haven't seen fit to issue an updated version. I had no idea it was a problem until after the fact.

We were getting spammers into the forum through Tapatalk, as well. They have their own registration system that bypasses the captcha, required user profile fields, etc. You can close the loophole by editing a config file to disallow in-app registration, but if you're looking for a single, buttoned-up experience, that's going to detract from it.

Also, every time there's a Tapatalk bug (which is often), you will get complaints from users that "your site" or "your app" etc aren't working the way they expect. But it's really nothing that you have any control over.

Bottom line is TT sucks. It's good for push notifications, but that's it. And yet I have about 20 users that would lose their minds if I removed TT support.

But they despise the responsive style. Had to turn that off, too.
This was pretty much my exact experience.

Top Bottom