1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Tagging/Mentions Alerts Not Always Working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by TW89, Jul 24, 2015.

1. TW89

TW89 Member

As per title. The vast majority of user mentions do result in alerts, but some members aren't getting all of them. I've confirmed that they don't show in the alerts page. It seems to be occurring on large threads (often 10-100 pages in length with many participants) but I'm not certain it's restricted to them.

Is this a known issue?

I did previously have a user tagging add-on (bd) that would enable users to tag certain groups such as moderators however I've now removed this and the issue persists.
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

There can be various reasons why alerts for mentions aren't received. If someone is watching a thread, they won't receive a mention alert as the new reply alert 'overrides' this. If someone is quoted and tagged, they'll get an alert for the quote and not the tag. If a post is edited and a tag is added afterwards, no alert will be sent. If someone tags say 10 people and the user group tagging permission is set to say 5, then only 5 people will get the tag alerts.
    adwade likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

However, they will actually receive both in this case:

KHF Alerts.PNG

Unless I misunderstood, which is likely knowing me. :oops:
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Martok meant in the same post.

Those two alerts are from separate posts.
    Martok likes this.
  5. TW89

TW89 Member

Thank you for explaining that, I didn't realise it worked in that way. I'm sure it's a case of the watched thread alert overriding the tag. Cheers.
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Actually I discovered that a tag/mention overrides a watch alert (unless you have the Tag Me add-on installed which reverses this behaviour. The other cases do apply though.
    TW89 likes this.
  7. TW89

TW89 Member

That makes sense. I did have the tag me add-on but since I've removed it the amount of people with 'problems' have reduced.
  8. TW89

TW89 Member

I do think that it would be worthwhile if XenForo could make it so that if a tag is added in an edit that it still creates an alert. Either that just make it so that tags can't be added in an edit.
  9. Recep Baltaş

Recep Baltaş Well-Known Member

This problem is happening in our forum at the moment. I will update it to 1.5.3 and check if it solves.
  10. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's unlikely to, as nothing has changed.

It will likely be down to permissions, or adding mentions when posts are edited.
  11. Recep Baltaş

Yeah, it was the "Maximum tag alterts" setting. I don't know how it was changed but it was changed. Reverted back to unlimited and solved. Thanks.
  12. EDCP

EDCP Member

Where did you make this change?
  13. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

"Maximum mention alerts per message" (or tag alerts if using an older version of XenForo) is a user group permission.
  14. Recep Baltaş

Under user groups.
    adwade likes this.