Add-on Tachy Goes to Coventry

e.g. A global ignore. Thank you for your explaination sir.

I can give this a shot, if the OP is willing to fund its developement.

Whenever I used the old Coventry mod, people soon noticed that x has disappeared altogether and will then say so in a thread.

If the mod could hide just "new" content from a user, so Tachy thinks he's being ignored and others think he's stopped posting; it would be better; but near impossible to implement. I've learned to live without such functionality, rather than mess about with ignores I just ban, getting rid of idiots is always better in the long run.

If the mod could hide just "new" content from a user, so Tachy thinks he's being ignored and others think he's stopped posting;
I don't see why you'd consider that so impossible? If you stored the date & time of when your user was sent to Coventry then you could use that as the anchor.

If post_date > tachy_start_date, hide posts.

I don't see why you'd consider that so impossible? If you stored the date & time of when your user was sent to Coventry then you could use that as the anchor.

If post_date > tachy_start_date, hide posts.

I've no real idea. Of course, everything is possible. I asked the original VB mod author for such a feature and that was the response.

I asked the original VB mod author for such a feature and that was the response
I thought that was core and I thought Kier authored it back in his old vB days. Of course I could be easily mistaken, haven't messed with VB in years.

Yes I think it was in the core. It was a long time ago, but I was told it could not be done. It was full ignore or nothing.

It's quite close but I am not sure how silent it is and whether the global ignoring of a single user makes the posts invisible to guests too.

If it's invisible to guests the user will cotton on something is up when the post suddenly appears when they log in.

If it's visible to guests other users will see something odd when the post disappears as soon as they log in

Whenever I used the old Coventry mod, people soon noticed that x has disappeared altogether and will then say so in a thread.

I also found that the troll cottoned on pretty quickly and I just got bombarded with dupe account attempts instead. So for me not a really useful feature. Same as the "Annoy User" plugin which xenfor has in the core as discouraging.

Although with discouraging you can at least do it via IP, however most persistent trolls aren't going to stick to a static IP anyway.

You're never going to be able to completely remove a user from your site. All you can do is mitigate their attempts.

Hi guys, due to demand, I think we're going to take on building this add-on. Does anyone want to offer a list of necessary features you'd like to see?

Just to elaborate on this, we've been reviewing our [TH] Global Ignore add-on and have rebuilt much of it to improve the quality. Currently that add-on only allows you to moderate posts from ignored users, which isn't what most admins want from what I've seen. We've added an "Ignore type" field with the following options:
  • Ignore all content by ignored user
  • Ignore new content by ignored user
  • Moderate content by ignored user
This option is set per user and you can set the default selected value in your board options, it also will have an option of whether or not to show hidden content to guests (The default value is for this content to be displayed as guests so the user isn't able to logout and see that they've been blocked, but this can be changed as necessary). We should have something ready fairly soon :)

Top Bottom