Implemented [Suggestion] Signature limits

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You mean, creating and editing it? I am looking for a way that I as an admin can create a signature for a certain user, but that user must not be able to edit their signature afterwards. I guess this is not possible in the current XenForo? (I realize it's a functionality that not much people will use)

You can set the signature for that user and then remove their permission to edit it.

Are you saying that this feature I suggested for 8,5 years now for vBulletin (see: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/52529-Permissions-to-change-Signature) is available in XenForo?

What are the arguments for displaying a person's signature once per page?
its more useful if one allows images in sigs. it allows an admin to be more 'liberal' with sigs, as the resultant sig will only need to be looked at once. very nice in threads with lots of back and forth between the same users.

Amazing
eek.png
cool.png
. After 8,5 (!) years I am able to do in a forum package what I always needed: being able (as admin) to construct advertisements in signatures for certain company-members, without them having the ability to edit/change them at their own free will! Signatures are a great place for advertisements (in fact, they are the most used advertisement option on our site) and software-control on this is invaluable.

Okay, this is interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just discovered this in vBulletin (the current platform that I am on and want to leave for XenForo in the future):

1. When you change a signature permission, existing signatures are NOT affected.
    Your members need to edit their existing signatures to actually be confronted with the new sig limits. How annoying and counter-productive is that! Imagine having hundreds or thousands of members with existing signatures and you as admin want to force your new signature limits on your board. Impossible. Their output can not be changed automatically... every individual needs to do it manually themselves....

(another point, but not so important, since the default layout can be changed through the postbit template) :
    -
  2. You can only limit the use of [SIZE = ]
    Apparently, the default size of the signature font is 2. You can ONLY set a limit on the manual use of the [SIZE = ] tag. But if the member is not using a [SIZE = ] tag, then no limit can be set. So, since the default size is not controlled by a [SIZE = ] - tag, you as admin are unable to control signatures that only make use of the default size. And most members will actually make use of the default size and not use a [SIZE = ] - tag at all. So if you want to control the standard output and for example let the size only be 1 (so it's smaller then the post contents (which is 2) which will do wonders for the readability of the thread), it is impossible (at least through this permission screen).

Having said that it's actually understandable/logical that the default size is not controlled through the permission screen, but through templates. We need to change the postbit-template for this, so you can reach your goal that way anyway, but wouldn't it be more convenient if there was a setting somewhere that controls the default signature size?

You can do it in the usergroup or user permissions or you can hide them just for yourself in your account preferences.

Okay, this is interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just discovered this in vBulletin (the current platform that I am on and want to leave for XenForo in the future):

1. When you change a signature permission, existing signatures are NOT affected.
    Your members need to edit their existing signatures to actually be confronted with the new sig limits. How annoying and counter-productive is that! Imagine having hundreds or thousands of members with existing signatures and you as admin want to force your new signature limits on your board. Impossible. Their output can not be changed automatically... every individual needs to do it manually themselves....

<snip>

Remember, if you're going to "diss" bits of vBulletin that pre-date 4.0, it's wise to remember who was behind the development of those same bits.....his name escapes me now....

hi

is there a signature on/off or way to disable sig on xf 1.0?
Not really.

You can disable the editing of sigs, but not disable the entire system. I needed to rip bits of the Account Setting out to remove all traces of the signature system because otherwise my members would be asking for that feature.

where in the admin panel can we find disable editing?

also
which specific file can i edit to rip that signature out?
ive been doing manually file editing on phpbb to rip out some text...
i want to learn more about xf :)

which specific file can i edit to rip that signature out?
This is for RC3, I've not looked at 1.0.0 yet. Add the <xen:comment> </xen:comment> parts as shown, that will comment that part out so the option is not available in the user account preferences. Actually it could be that with 1.0.0 this may not be necessary, I would remove the ability to edit the user signature first then see if this disappears from their account settings.
Code:
<xen:comment>
    <dl class="ctrlUnit">
        <dt></dt>
        <dd><ul><li><label for="ctrl_content_show_signature"><input type="checkbox" name="content_show_signature" value="1" id="ctrl_content_show_signature" {xen:checked "{$visitor.content_show_signature}"} /> {xen:phrase show_peoples_signatures_with_their_messages}</label></li></ul></dd>
    </dl>

<dl class="ctrlUnit sectionLink">
        <dt><a href="{xen:link 'account/privacy'}">{xen:phrase edit_your_privacy_settings}</a></dt>
        <dd><label><input type="checkbox" name="visible" value="1"{xen:checked "{$visitor.visible}"} /> {xen:phrase allow_other_people_to_see_what_page_you_currently_viewing}</label></dd>
    </dl>
</xen:comment>

Remember, if you're going to "diss" bits of vBulletin that pre-date 4.0, it's wise to remember who was behind the development of those same bits.....his name escapes me now....

I am sorry, but I don't understand these kinds of reactions. Maybe you mean well (electronic communication is not always easy), but if I give feedback about functionality, it has nothing to do with the talents of the developers. (Well... at least not in the pre- 4.0 era ;)). Also the vB3.6-3.8 versions come with quirks obviously. And the reason why I posted this reflection of vB's implementation is... to show how things could be done better in XenForo.

That team didn't really decide what features were built into the software, though they did have a bigger influence.

Top Bottom