Implemented [Suggestion] Signature limits

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
One neat thing I did with signatures (and don't tell anyone ;) ): I changed the opacity to 70%. It still appears, but it does not stick out prominently.

I agree with Brogan: all text, no styling (including colors, bold, sizes), no images. Although a couple of our members use a small smiley and it looks fine. The opacity helps by toning them down so they don't distract, and I have that plugin installed where the signature only displays once per page, per member. It really cuts down on the clutter, while also still giving us a chance to see the signature once.

If you go way back in internet times, the "standard" for email signatures was to have two hyphens on a line by themselves, followed by (I think) two lines of text.

until they get around to fixing up the sig options, there is a way to enforce a sig limit in the meanwhile.
if you paste the following into your EXTRA.css, it will not display anything beyond 105px:
Code:
/* limited sigs */

.message .signature

{

max-height: 105px;

padding: 0px;

overflow:auto;

overflow-y: hidden !important;

overflow-x: hidden !important;

}
its not a perfect solution, but it works.

This limits sig height in the actual posts made, but the user will still see their signature in full in their profile page.
How would a workaround be done to prevent the sig showing when created. i.e. Prevent the height being breached in User's Profile?

This limits sig height in the actual posts made, but the user will still see their signature in full in their profile page.
How would a workaround be done to prevent the sig showing when created. i.e. Prevent the height being breached in User's Profile?
in the code above, change '.message .signature' to '.signature'.

Suggestion: No ugly scrolling signatures please. :cool:

A dynamic "on-demand" signature click would be nice for users who choose to hide signatures. That way if a user wants to view a specific signature all they do is click "Display Signature" link to dynamically call a certain users signature. This text would go next to the "Report" link or "Reply" link or off in space somewhere in the middle at the bottom of a users post. That would be epically innovative.

There was a post somewhere here about how to remove the signature and replace it with status updates. It is under a template modification or something.
I just couldn't find it.

THIS IS REALLY NECESSARY.

Some people create signatures of the size of Eiffel Tower! D:
If all you're worried about is the height, simply use the EXTRA.css method of chopping sigs off at x pixels height.
Code:
/* limited sigs */
.signature
{
max-height: 100px;
}

If all you're worried about is the height, simply use the EXTRA.css method of chopping sigs off at x pixels height.
Code:
/* limited sigs */
.signature
{
}
This is NICE, but with some work (that I don't know how) it may be possible a button to "show all" or when mouse-over show all signatura, but it stills good for people who use got signatures 10x bigger than what they post.

Code:
/* limited sigs */
.signature
{
}
Gosh when the admin limited to 200px, there where an wave of protests, we increased to 400px :cautious:

Top Bottom