Implemented [Suggestion] Signature limits

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
! ---> Hmmm... I guess the trouble with merging threads is that the 'new' first posting now doesn't have much likes. In fact in this case, it has none.

Anyway, yes I am also in need of signature-restrictions, so here's the 'first' like from me.

Signature restriction are important for our platform, also because it can actually generate money for you if you use it like this:

Yes, although I loathe being confronted with signature-images in forum discussions (there is a reason why I posted this: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ity-the-use-of-images-in-your-signatures.792/) there are in fact also benefits to be considered. For instance: I use the signatures as a place where paying advertisers can promote their product/services the moment they write an informative reply in a thread.
Works really well on our platform, because 3 parties benefit from this way of working:
  1. Our userbase get's valuable information from companies through these informative postings (they are not allowed to advertise themselves inside their postings text: they are allowed to only use the restricted signature-area to do that),
  2. We get money from those advertisers (keeps the costs of the site down and if you do really well... you can make a profit!),
  3. The company get's clients through their advertisment.
A very valuable win-win-win situation. So yes, more sophisticated signature-functionality is indeed welcome in situations like these.

! ---> Hmmm... I guess the trouble with merging threads is that the 'new' first posting now doesn't have much likes. In fact in this case, it has none.
Posts are merged in date order so the first post in this thread is the first time it was suggested.
Obviously it was overlooked and subsequently the same suggestion was posted again 3 or 4 times, each one attracting likes.

Posts are merged in date order so the first post in this thread is the first time it was suggested.
Obviously it was overlooked and subsequently the same suggestion was posted again 3 or 4 times, each one attracting likes.

That's what I meant, yes.

until they get around to fixing up the sig options, there is a way to enforce a sig limit in the meanwhile.
if you paste the following into your EXTRA.css, it will not display anything beyond 105px:
Code:
/* limited sigs */

.signature

{

max-height: 105px;

padding: 0px;

overflow:hidden;

overflow-y: hidden !important;

overflow-x: hidden !important;

}
its not a perfect solution, but it works.

please limit the # of lines of text a person can add
please limit the # of images a person can add
images size they're adding (two things) file size in kb as well as physical dimensions (height/width)
font sizing (so people aren't using a 72pt font)
anything else people can think of off the top of their head. Please make this happen.

Laxed permissions on signature rules just makes certain people attempt to abuse them in any way/shape. I don't want to police signatures all day, but I also don't want to disable them for everyone because of a few individuals who like to push buttons.

I think you've posted in the wrong thread.
This is a suggestion for attachment limits, not signatures.

There is already a suggestion for signature limits.

my bad - I had two tabs open. One for sig permissions / one for attachment permissions per usergroup. I started typing in the wrong window. One was actually a thread you had posted in. You can split the post & delete this post if you'd like.
thanks

Folks, I am in the process of organising the coding of needed functionality and signature limits is up soon.
Is it a case of duplicating what is in vB?

Or do people have different ideas? Please collate your ideas here so we can not only recreate vB functionality but do it with a fresh outlook.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    66.6 KB · Views: 29
I suppose being able to attach thumbnails, as you can in posts, might be something people would want?

until they get around to fixing up the sig options, there is a way to enforce a sig limit in the meanwhile.
if you paste the following into your EXTRA.css, it will not display anything beyond 105px:
Code:
/* limited sigs */

.message .signature

{

max-height: 105px;

padding: 0px;

overflow:auto;

overflow-y: hidden !important;

overflow-x: hidden !important;

}
its not a perfect solution, but it works.
Perfect, thats all i needed until something more robust comes along. Simple as it gets, but got the job done... Thanks...

Folks, I am in the process of organising the coding

..snip,,
duplicating that is what I'm basically wanting. The only other thing that messed up signatures in the past, was when it allowed images to be linked in from outside urls (instead of uploading the image to the server), and vb wouldn't check the sizing limits. So some people would try to put in some 800 wide x 800 tall signature image, or any size imaginable.

My personal requirements would be to prohibit all BB code, smilies and images and be able to limit signatures to 2 rows of text.

That way I can set the styling for signature text in the Style Properties and it can't be overridden with font styles or sizes, colours, etc.

Kind of.

It can block the editing of signatures, but if you import from an existing forum that already has signatures, they will still be there. There is nothing in place to globally block their display (without editing a template).

Fair point, well made.

Nothing an SQL query wouldn't sort though ;) (which is what I did before I imported my forum).

Folks, I am in the process of organising the coding of needed functionality and signature limits is up soon.
Is it a case of duplicating what is in vB?

Or do people have different ideas? Please collate your ideas here so we can not only recreate vB functionality but do it with a fresh outlook.
Thanks.
wouldnt mind an option to display a users sig only once per page.

It can block the editing of signatures...

You mean, creating and editing it? I am looking for a way that I as an admin can create a signature for a certain user, but that user must not be able to edit their signature afterwards. I guess this is not possible in the current XenForo? (I realize it's a functionality that not much people will use)

Top Bottom